A step or two behind

It’s probably just me, but it seems that the Y football team is behind the curve when it comes to some critical components with the football program.
Recruiting, structure, coaching hires, adjustments to game plan or game calling, personnel, conditioning and training.
Christian Stewart was on BYU Sports Nation this morning and his comments about the strength and conditioning program to date was interesting. I’ve included the video and I find it surprising how dated the conditioning program apparently is, yet at the same time I am not surprised that it wasn’t taken care of a few years ago, especially when the graduating seniors started singing the praises of Dave Stroshine during the prep for the NFL combine. That should have caused immediate changes to the program instead of the rash of injuries and a convenient age of the coach.
If you have time the full interview is found on BYUtv and it is pretty good.

Some of us have been saying this for years, we didn’t have a modern approach to this because we didn’t have a modern coach for the program. Former players for years have complained but Tom just didn’t have the heart to fire Jay. he was better than what we had before, but 10 years past his prime for sure and just riding out the time to get tenure and secure his retirement. It cost the development of the program.

The fact that there have been so many voices calling for change and nothing for so long is what’s maddening. If he is not getting it done and you can’t let him go, find another position to secure the retirement and take care of the program. Always going to be a step slow with that approach.

We are a step or two behind in many areas. Not just Recruiting, structure, coaching hires, adjustments to game plan or game calling, personnel, conditioning and training, Not just The fact that there have been so many voices calling for change.

I think that the problem is that the University, and/or the Church is not willing to pay for the changes that the fans demand.

For example, I am quite sure, that Bronco makes less than a million per year and whittingham makes just under 3 million per year by 2018.

There is a reason why one coach can make 3 times more than another coach that is just 40 miles away.

One coach can recruit while the other can not.

One coach can get his team into the BCS Bowl games and win them, while the other can not.

One coach can get his team into the Pac 12, which today, is the #1 power conference in the nation. (Sorry SEC). but the other can not.

With all the SOS in the Pac 12, one team can finish the season nationally ranked while the other can not even scheduling Division 2 or worse teams.

One coach can play 8 P5 teams each season and this season have 9 wins and 3 losses without the need to play divison 2 or worse teams. The other coach can not.

As long as the University and/or the Church is not willing to pay for the quality coach that demands nearly 3 million per year, we can not expect to compete with a coach that pays less than 1 million per year.

Bronco Mendenhal is probably the best we can get for the money that the University and/or Church is willing to pay. It just isn’t good enough.