And here we go!’

Hopper isn’t good with jokes or humor!

You’re just not a big enough man to take it either. Poor sap :slight_smile:

I don’t think Nelson was worse than Heaps. Far less ability but better results. Covey wasn’t the worst ever. Steve Lindsley the guy who replaced Bosco after he graduated was worse and then there were guys like Brett Engmann, Matt Berry, and a few others who were probably worse than Covey. I based this comment purely on game results and not on talent. Getting points on the board and winning is what counts.

Wilson may have more physical talent than any of the greats but he hasn’t really been tested yet this year although beating Tennessee and USC last year wasn’t bad. Regardless of whether he gets a real test this year he is still probably a 1st round pick based on physical ability.

Although the score doesn’t indicate it, Boise was supposed to have a great defense. Same with Houston. We are far better than last year so I think he has shown he can play well against the big boys.

My test was BSU. He hung 51 on BSU @ BSU, no team has done the in the 21 century. You would have to go back a LOT of years to find any BYU QB that could throw a long ball like Wilson. I watched all of the greats at BYU. McMahon did not have Wilson’s arm strength, Detmer…please. Young became a legend after BYU, his legs made Young great at BYU. Also most teams were not throwing the ball back when BYU became QB U. Today, everyone throws the ball. BTW, you forgot Hall.

I see Wilson as a NFL franchise QB as this point, heady words. every once in a while Wilson holds the ball too long and as you say, maybe BYU has not faced elite defenses and Wilson comes crashing back to earth but from what I saw in the BSU, Houston games, Wilson has won this dude’s praise.

I’m totally behind what you say…

I hope you are correct but I am not judging Wilson’s physical gifts. His knock has been his decision making under pressure. QB’s with great arms have littered the NFL sidelines and those with weaker arms but great abilities to read defenses and check down on plays have found success. Where BSU finishes the season and IF a good P5 team appears on the BYU schedule will be barometers of Wilson’s success. He will have to show us he can read a good defense and pass with composure under pressure before I put him even close to Jimmy Mac and Steve Young.

You know that Zac Wilson goes to California to work on his skills with non other than John Beck, right?

From what I understand John Beck and Russell Wilson (QB Seattle Seahawks) got together and put together a performance center for QB’s, pretty cool.

I had heard he worked with John Beck. They keep talking on ESPN how he would drive to California every week to attend a QB camp. I will say that Wilson has a great work ethic wants to be the best he can be and doesn’t appear to have any sense of entitlement unlike a few past ballyhooed recruits. He had some competition for the starting position this year and he took the bull by the horns and earned it. That hasn’t always been the case with some past recruits.

Some question whether he can perform under pressure in a big game environment against a P5 program. I think he did that a few times last year against USC and Tennessee. He didn’t do so well against a few weak opponents but he had some injury issues after the Washington game and maybe it wasn’t entirely his fault.

That is the question isn’t it, I personally have seen some improvement on his throws, and foot work that last year was not there. But until we play some really good teams (which BSU is still up in the air about) we won’t know.

It’s funny how when we beat any ranked team how all of a sudden they become sub par teams and therefore BYU and it’s star players really aren’t that good. :smirk:

Actually you misread my post again…

1. I never said BSU was a good team to begin with. One of my issues with Polls (especially pre and early season) is they are not judged on what they did on the field.
  2. BSU destroyed two sub par teams…
  3. BYU has not played a P5 schools so we really do not know how good they are.

Not just you. Anytime we beat a good team people in here say they aren’t so good. Maybe BSU is great and we are just that better. Next good team we beat and you will see people comment they aren’t that good.

BSU’s defense was sterling last night against CSU, scoring 28 points. This was a defense that BYU pretty much had it’s way with. BSU could very easily run the table the rest of the year and finish ranked. This was a very credible win for BYU in a difficult venue. The defensive and OL’s allow BYU to be competitive with just about anyone imo

Their offense was truly terrible with their great starting QB. 289 total yards is all. Their QB rushed for -28 yards. 16-26 passing. Their 4th string was better against BYU. BYU would of put up 51 in the 1st half against CSU

I never thought Hank Bachmeier was that great-decent but not great. Sears may be better but in concussion protocol. CSU wasn’t that bad, but the Bronco defense and special teams was outstanding-thus the big win margin. As for BYU-let’s not over-inflate things-they do a lot of things well and don’t make a ton of mistakes, but the reality is, that if not for the revamped schedule due to Covid, we are probably looking a things from a different viewpoint. Enjoy what we were given-it is what it is

We don’t know that. What we do know we are worth ranked 8th. And that’s enough to beat each team we were going to play. The scores would have been closer but I believe we are still 8-0.

Agreed, We will see when BYU plays a Oregon in the Fiesta, or maybe we get a crack at Alabama.

In the Cinn route, the ESPN minds had the aduncity to say that neither BYU or Cinn could hang physically with elite P5s. Smug and unfounded, BYU has linemen are both sides of the ball that are up for national awards.

They are separate camps, Jack Heaps actually helps Wilson with his program ( I am happy for Heaps)

We will never make it to the CFP with our current schedule. We probably won’t make a NY6 bowl IF some of the P5 schools catch us while we are sitting idle. I think Oregon for one and Indiana for another … Wisc and Miami are other examples of teams that can and probably will pass BYU. We need a game scheduled with a good P5 opponent to guarantee a NY6 bowl.

The odds are against us making a big bowl as things sit without added games.

Hopper, no people on here don’t say BYU isn’t any good. Read the posts please. What they say is that BYU hasn’t proven that they belong with the big P5 programs yet. They might, but you can’t proclaim them a legit national contender until they beat a really good team or 2. That is all people are saying. You are ready to anoint them a great team off a BSU win and the rest of us have enough knowledge to know that is foolishness. We hope they are a great team, but the competition of P5 teams will show us what BYU is or isn’t.