Attended Practice with an NBA couch on Tuesday. Portland notes

It seems like you are saying that the talent level of Mika, Haws, Emery, Bryant, Childs and whomever else can be included currently is higher than the talent level of Fredette, Davies, Tyler Haws and whomever else was successful under Rose.

Those other players had incredible success so why didn’t Rose’s “system” hold them back? I would like to have more input and information on this subject because I am interested to know what it is that is keeping these incredible players from winning more games and showing improvement.

Until I get some actual answers or something that I believe, I’m going to stick with my overhyped, overestimated theory based on mythical high school national championships that had everyone believing these players were so much better than they are.

The over hyped, overestimated players just made BYU history by knocking off the #1 ranked team in the nation in the Kennel.

Simply is not how Pomeroy Ratings work…and only partially how the RPI works.

Given that Rose had an unmatched record in the MWC, and is exceeded only by Few who exceeds most everybody in the nation in conference play, it is hard to imagine what you think an improvement on Rose’s record might be.

Your are right he is not Calipari or Coach K. But only Self or Williams are actually in the same conversation.

What exactly do you expect from a BYU basketball coach?
Record wise or results wise?
Not the nitpicking things that each of a thousand and one fans can see as better decisions. After all even HoF coaches have fanatics on the sideline who rip their game-time, playing time, recruiting etc decisions on a regular basis. Coming up with a list of things you’d have had the coach do instead doesn’t do much except entertain the man in the mirror.

I believe your comments here are legitimate Harold. I gained some perspective when I went on a Gonzaga fan board after the game and was reading some of the things fans were saying. It was truly eye opening.

Some of the general comments I remember -

1. Mark Few chokes when the pressure is on.
  2. BYU is a bunch of grabbing, hacking thugs.
  3. The refs were terrible.

There were other things and some of this is normal, but I was shocked at the comments directed to Few. Their team was 29-0 and ranked #1 for the past several weeks. Few is arguably one of the top 5 coaches in the country, based on the results and what he is able to do with what he has. It is amazing that there are people out there who consider themselves fans that call for the firing of a coach or criticize what they have accomplished under special situations, conditions, etc.

I haven’t been real excited about what I perceive is a team that has underacheived but I recognize that stuff happens and things don’t always go as expected for whatever reasons. I recognize that we should be grateful for what we have and hope for better. The best thing that grasshopper has suggested this entire season is to have patience. That isn’t always easy but it is good advice.

Yeah, I do think GU fans are nuts thinking that somehow Few had anything to do with this loss. Few did not take those 3s or FTs and brick them. He also had nothing to do with Williams-Goss 4 TOs or Perkins 6 TOs.

But to call for Rose’s Head after watching a season’s worth of games where we don’t bother to contest 3s or improve against the Pick and Roll or hero ball is completely in reason…Otherwise if coaches do not feel the heat of fans, who by the way pay for sports, then how would they address poor play.

What I saw in both the Portland and Gonzaga games was true effort to close out Pick and Rolls and it was a beautiful thing. We also got great low post defense (Shaw’s 11 rebounds was a beautiful thing) as well as contested 3s. Those are true changes from the past and it gives me hope.

I would like to think that Quincy took to heart what the NBA coach had to say about BYU defense being soft in the middle. To see Gonzaga have 16 Turnovers and get maybe 4 points from the Pick and Roll points to a change on defensive focus.

NBA coach also worked specifically with Mika on footwork. Now this may be all in my head but I have to think that those two suggestions by the coach to BYU coaches had something to do with BYU’s shut down defense and Mika’s hitting all those jump shots and ultimately the big win.

So you’re saying the outlook for BYU hoops is not as dismal as we feared. Whether it was the helpful feedback from the NBA coach or players just starting to figure things out, the Portland game was a milestone because the players seemed to finally get it and the team played very well, even if the opponent wasn’t great. Now we have two good games and hopefully we’ve turned the corner. I’m hoping this momentum will carryover into the WCC tourney.

For me to answer that would require that I see earlier practices, something I have not done. All I can say is that we posted all year long about Roses’ lack of defensive concern and not holding players accountable for “hero ball”.

I told Coach Hecker that I thought Rose should retire because he shows no fire out there when players continue to make the same mistakes…Hecker says to me, "You saying, fire Rose? Not a chance. If anything he is a hall of famer…I will watch the practice and offer some points of advice but only if they ask for them, remember…we are guests, Bailey. SO we watch and take notes and Hecker grabs me several times and makes the points that I covered at the beginning of the thread.

BYU coaches asked NBA Coach Hecker to take notes and we talked in detail after practice. I think sometimes you have to hear the obvious from a higher source and that gets you focused.

Maybe this staff should invite this type of evaluation on a more regular basis. As long as they appreciate the feedback and are willing to implement suggestions, I would think NBA coaches would be willing to help out when asked and when they have some free time.

Steve Cleveland gave another outstanding interview on 1280 the zone… IT should be up on their website by tomorrow…

Steve gets on fans bashing WCC, their gym size, and players making comments like that.

He also addressed the ups and downs of the team this year…

Thought you would want to know…

Now If I can get PK (Patrick Kinnehan) out of the interview, it would be a great interview…

Thanks! I’ve heard similar things with Steve Cleveland on BYU SN. I really do think the WCC is a good place for BYU basketball. When I see how the activists come after conservatives on the UC campuses, I’m thinking things could get pretty ugly for a conservative school like BYU and its fans.

My only question, based on the last several posts is -

Why did the coaches wait until the last game of the season to make all these changes when it was obvious throughout that there were issues and problems?

We are not talking jv girls high school basketball that grasshopper coached 25 years ago, this is D-1 college basketball and Rose is an experienced coach.

What was going on all season long?

from what Steve Cleveland said it was due to injuries.

it seems every time they would have a rotation set, someone went down… so they had to adjust to new people and understand their weaknesses and strengths. so the chemistry never got to jell.

I know Dastrup problem was not his game, but his conditioning, but watching him last night I thought he looked good.

you don’t have to agree with me, but coach Cleveland talked about it in his interview and you have said he is a pretty smart dude.

Come on Jim. Are you calling those boys you refereed girls? I coached high school basketball.
Let me help you out. We looked different because last week a NBA coach Hecker came in and explained and worked with the coaches and players. Why Rose couldn’t figure it out who knows.
Now, the WCC tourney.

This goes to the core of what I believe BYU was lacking when our two Senior Captains went down.

1. lack of experience, no core veterans who had been through the wars.
  2. hero ball.

We now have to worry about Mika opting for the NBA.

I don’t know, it was "your’ team. Do you think they played like girls?

He’s not ready. I hope he realizes that and sticks around.

The hero ball thing is a BYU trademark. It is really the main issue that keeps Cougar teams from realizing their potential. This team is better than they’ve shown, obviously, but they never really matured much. The same thing can happen again next year unless they recognize it and change the course.

I hope that is what happens…

Rose’s most successful years were when the team bought into the team…Jackson Emery, JT, Hartsock etc…Leadership from the players made a big difference…maybe they have finally figured that out…at least Coach Cleve has said they have more than once in the last week or so…If they have then the future is as promising as blue goggle can want. If not…more of the rudderless players…
Nashiff coaching defense then instead of offense probably made a difference too.

Sometimes. But I could yell at them
And they didn’t cry. So, they were boys :wink: