Bowl Projections

Maybe BYU should push for a Cincinnati game when both teams have an open date. If they beat us then they have a very strong argument for a playoff spot. They play in a conference that is probably just a notch weaker than the PAC 12 (the conference of champion pretenders). They have only had one close game against CFU on the road and CFU is a very good team. If we beat them then our NY6 bowl chances should be secured.

They are probably not interested in playing us but a game with them could really benefit the winner. I could see Cincinnati not being interested because they would have more to lose than BYU. They are a NY6 lock if they win the rest of their scheduled games and even a win over BYU wouldn’t guarantee a playoff spot. Right now BYU is on the outside looking in. The P5s don’t want two mid majors in NY6 bowl games and I think Cincinnati needs to lose to put us back in the mix.

The Washington thing was a fraud from the beginning. Yeah play us at our place (no problem they played in Provo last year), no money (big problem), our refs (big problem), our Covid testing requirements (big problem), and we can back out (big problem and now it is known they would have because they are playing Utah because Utah is available now with ASU cancelling). Even a win over Washington may not have guaranteed a NY6 slot because the P5 would have still had the problem of inviting both BYU and Cincinnati and they would have figured a way to weasel out of it.

great points

BYU football: Cougars steaming after being pegged No. 14 in CFP ranking - Deseret News

Sitake is seething

I have a problem with it…Cin is not as good as BYU. BYU is the only top 1o in all four categories in the entire nation. If the CFP wants to keep them out, then prove it. Play BYU against a sacred SEC team.

I thought about that as well BUT this team has earned the right to play for something, so frikkin play BYU…anyone with balls out there? anyone?

Cin would never fall for it, they are guaranteed a NY6 if they win out, and a 36% chance of the playoffs.
If ESPN would pony up the $$$ for a Dec match, I think the nation would watch if and BYU would kick their trash. BYU and Cin would both have to be invited to a NY6 game.

R C SLOCUM!!!

Im not sure if byu gets a new years six even if they beat a top 10 team. They put a 2 loss Iowa State team above BYU. Are you kidding me!? Talk about a biased selection committee. Jeez…Imo they are making the point that under NO circumstance will an independent BYU team be getting a big payday. Having no conference to share the $ with is the real issue I believe.

Even if byu were to have an awesome schedule with awesome results, no doubt they’d still be left out. This #14 ranking proves that. In fact, the CFP is not even concerned about who the best teams actually are, they are just there to make sure that all the money gets distributed to themselves. They aren’t about to share anything with outside entities.

As ridiculous as this ranking is, it shows us just how high the cards are stacked against byu’s program. Higher than the Wasatch front! The extreme prejudice shown towards byu is obvious and sickening. I have absolutely 0 respect for these BCS bandits. The ncaa has been hijacked by terrorists. Something has to be done about it. It’s beyond unfair, it’s straight up robbery.

You bring up my point. It’s about the money. All schools are hurting because of no fans in the stands and some playing very few games. So, yes! It’s about those prejudiced people and I would say religious bigots as well.

I think it should be about non-league affiliated people making the decisions. People that have actually watched all teams in question. It’s obvious these CFP haven’t watched BYU. Some probably think they will go to hell if they do.

Not only has ISU lost two games, it’s who they lost to, at home no less

In basketball the top teams from every conference get the chance to compete for a championship. That doesn’t happen in football. Sure the Big 12, ACC, SEC, and Big 10 get more teams in the tournament than they should. But at least non-P5 get a chance to compete and make deep runs.

aro,

That is a good idea.
Don’t we have someone inside ESPN that could make this happen?
Cincinnatti vs. BYU in a put up or shut up match.
This could be a great hype for ratings.

chudd,

I share your frustration, but looking at both sides of the coin, Heads says that it isn’t fair for a team with 2 losses to jump ahead of a no loss season.

Tails say that it isn’t fair to give a no loss team, the benefit vs teams that they can’t lose to, while it is a challenge each and every game, where nobody knows what the outcome will be until the end of the game, and ends up with a 2 loss season and be punished for having such a tough schedule.

WE had the toughest schedule in our history. It would have been great, with that schedule to have a 2 loss season. We would be screaming if a no loss Cincinnatti jumped ahead of us, and justifiably so. The Pandemic, Pac 12, and the NACC took that opportunity away from us, and perhaps, because of the Pandemic, justifiably so.

Cincy has way more clout than BYU because of their performance over the last couple of years. BYU hasn’t finished in the top 25 in years and Cincy has.

Doesn’t matter about the past. It’s about what they are doing this year. The CFP have already changed the rules from last year on how many games have to be played. This was an act of saving their conference affiliations with big bowl money and systemic religious bigotry.

College Football Playoff Rankings: BYU Disrespected, National Media Reacts | Fan Insider (fan-insider.com)

Ron, On paper, that statement was true. but in reality. BYU would have the same record:
BYU’s original schedule:

Utah 0-1
Michigan State 1-3
Arizona State 0-1
Minnesota 2-3
Utah State 0-4
Missouri 3-3
Houston 3-3
Northern Illinois 0-3
Boise State 4-1
San Diego State 3-2
North Alabama 0-4
Stanford 0-2

Overall Record: 16-30

Only Az State would have had me looking twice.

After watching Mark Pope and the BYU basketball team tonight, something became very clear…

BYU football is a top 10 team.

Where BYU Football Needs to be Ranked to Make a NY6 Bowl (si.com)

BYU really needs to be ranked #11 or better to have a chance.

Lol. Whatever their bias, nobody on earth could possibly argue the fact that there is one. The selection committee has no ground to stand on for their virtual lynching of byu’s great season. Its preposterous at best. Their criteria is all over the place. Talk about inconsistent!

The strength of schedule really isn’t That bad at 71. Cincinatti’s SOS is 65. Not too far off.

There is just no justifying it. Byu won with enough style points to offset the weak schedule. Are you telling me that if Clemson were to have this exact same schedule, with similar results, that they wouldn’t still be top 5?

I want to use a lot of harsh words and remarks to illustrate how I really feel about all of this, but I will refrain and just leave it at ‘byu got royally screwed’.

IMO Tom Holmoe is the best A.D. in college football today. The program deserves to be celebrated for what they’ve accomplished.

chudd and fish,

" Utah 0-1

Michigan State 1-3

Arizona State 0-1

Minnesota 2-3

Utah State 0-4

Missouri 3-3

Houston 3-3

Northern Illinois 0-3

Boise State 4-1

San Diego State 3-2

North Alabama 0-4

Stanford 0-2

Overall Record: 16-30

Only Az State would have had me looking twice.

I do agree with what you said. We did experience it before with Brandon Doman and Luke Stayley, truly exciting days in post LE football history.

However, with the schedule above, the NCAA just may have been a bit more embarrassed in doing so, and we may have had more national media fan support.
Beyond that, I agree that the end results today, may have been the same end results of the said yesteryear with BD and LS.

Chudd and grasshopper,

I think that all of BYU Fan Kingdom, or Fan Ghetto, depending on whom you ask,
friend and foe alike, share your frustration over a system so inconsistent that it
only works for those in P5 Conference Schools.

If we can land a man on the Moon, circle Mars, replace Petro run cars with electric run cars, then can we put forth the effort, the research, the time, and the desire, to figure out, compromise or not, how to get into a P5 conference.

Getting into a P5 Conference may or may not make NACC more consistent and therefore, fairer, but it is better to fight for more justice for all from within the P5 then from the position of being an outsider.

Could be some changes after Friday and Saturday’s games. I had BYU at 11 and certainly didn’t have ISU or Georgia ahead of them. I’m hoping for another 3 losses for teams in front of BYU

Our love for all things BYU aside, if you were a P5 conference, would you want BYU as a member? We’re not run like any other school, our athletic department is not run like any other athletic department, and we have protocols that other schools do not. Other schools view us as high maintenance–and you may say bigotry skews that view. I’ve come to realize that no P5 conference wants BYU as a member and probably never will.

Lol certainly not the PAC-12

BoiseCoug,

Unfortunately, I do agree with you.
If we walk like a duck, if we quack like a duck, if we look like a duck, Chances are,
we are probably a duck.

Don’t talk about Sunday Play to me.
1.) Sunday play is rarely played on Sundays, which is reserved for the NFL.

2.) If that very, very rare occasion comes when we might be required to play on
Sunday, we can forfeit that game and have a one-loss season. The benefits of being in a power 5 conference far outways the drawbacks.

3.) Why is it Okay for us to try as hard as we can, to get our best players into the NFL that plays the majority of their games on Sunday’s.

4.) Why is it okay in the Nfl, but not College to play on Sundays.

(To name of few that we admire and respect, rightfully so, Chad Lewis, Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Taysom Hill, Jaamal Williams, as so many more)

5.) Why do we continue to use “No Sunday Play” as an excuse?

Don’t tell me that it is because of our Honor Code.

1.) Every religious school has it’s honor code. Baylor, Boston College. SMU, TCU, ND to name a few.

1. We are not in a contest to see who’s Honor Code is the most strict, the best, the worst, or sideways. We do not interfere with other school’s honor code, and other schools do not interfere with ours. Stop using that as an excuse.

We all, Boston College, Baylor, SMU, TCU, ND, and BYU want positive things, positive respect that we earn, and positive appreciation from everyone, as we earn it.

Our goal should (not to be unable to blend) with those that we want to be a part of,
(P5) Conference’s, but instead, our goal should be to (keep our standards as we blend) with those schools that we want to compete with.

We do not need our AD to run our department like that of Baylor, Boston College,
SMU, TCU or ND, or any other university. It is no other university’s business how we run our AD Department just like it is none of our business how other schools run their department so long as (in each case) none of us violate the NCCA rules.
We must all, (you, me, and all the others) stop looking for excuses. It is our attitudes, and our excuses, that don’t fit in with their otherwise easy-going, non-problematic members, that apparently get along fine without us.

Perhaps instead of finding reasons for others to not be as good as us, we should spend more time finding ways that we can get along better with others.

Well said sir.