BYU 2017, are we better than last year?

Don’t know. They are both injured. I think with the 4 bigs now are deep there too. However, just like some of the guards, all the bigs need to get some better playing time. Worthington and Dastrup both had quick foul trouble and that limited their time along with the matchups we played a lot of 4 guard play last night which we will against many WCC teams.

I’ve always thought defense is made up of three things: 1) athleticism, 2) effort/interest, and 3) spacing. #1 cannot be coached, but 2 and 3 sure can be coached. I was impressed with Hardnett and Cannon, because both are fast, super strong, totally invested in staying in front of their guy, and both were almost always on their guy. How many times last year did we abandon shooters to cheat down on doubles or for steals? 10 times a game? 20? 150 billion? That almost never happened last night. Cannon got back cut from the elbow down the lane one time, but it was really just a great play by UVU and Cannon was like 18 inches out of position. Those two really impressed me.

Cannon looked like a gamer last night, but his stats at WSU were lousy. Is he really a player? “My Guy” in the know says he is a baller and that he has spent months hitting the weights like a madman, which is plain to see even when Directv doesn’t broadcast BYUTV in HD.

I like the idea of increasing the number of catch and shoot threes for TJ. Let him run a race with his defender since they seem determined to guard him man to man.

He has to be closer. He took several 3s well past NBA 3 distance. He’s never going to be accurate at that distance.

Jimmer wannabe shots as someone else said. Get him set up in the corner on a pick for pick action to trip up the defense. Or even just sit him in the corner and wait do something stupid like double on Yo with his guy. Yo will gladly take that assist.

as apposed to “church money”…Hahahaha

Cannon sure impressed last night. Only time will tell. One thing for sure, Rose likes to play his upper classmen so Cannon should get some time.

Rose has plenty of upperclassmen who barely got off the bench. If a scholarship player is serviceable on the scout team, and is willing to play the way Rose wants him too on the court (Isaac Nielson I’m thinking of you) then Rose tends to keep them on scholarship.

You said “We just need to ask less of him on defense by sticking him in the corner on spot-up shooters as much as possible”

I think SMC did that sticking one of their better 3 pointer at the corner that killed us last year. I like that idea.

Directv still doesn’t offer HD for BYUtv? I use to work for them and that is so annoying!

Cannon will get lots of minutes. Haws can’t shoot any worse so that should get better. BYU’s major problem right now, especially as we get later in the season is depth. Seljass should get better as the season goes on, but so far not shooting well. Worthington is actually better than he was before with his little hook shots, but fouls way too much. Bryant, most the most part is playing smart. Childs is the man right now, so he will start getting doubled and fronted so Cannon, Bryant, and Haws will have to knock down threes. I like Hardnett and Nixon(blue collar workers) BYU needs to get the two injured bigs back, but haven’t heard any reports on that. I liked Andrus as a Freshman. This is a team that could shift either way, but playing good defense will keep them in a lot of games. Gonzaga looks really good again despite losing a lot of talent last year and St Marys will have an even better year than last year as they have scheduled tougher pre-conference games. That leaves BYU fighting for 3rd in the WCC. Dastrup-well he needs minutes, so maybe against ISU he will get plenty. My anaysis is 1. St Marys 2. Gonzaga 3. BYU_yep picking St Marys over the Zags this year. Sorry Cougar fans, just don’t see BYU coming close talent wise to those 2, especially after losing Mika to pro ball. Mika and Childs would have been fun to watch, especially with guards like Bryant and Cannon making the sagging defenses pay. Wild card is Haws-can he make up for his defensive liability with 500 shooting and good assist to turnover ratio? Happy days in Happy Valley

Don’t look past ISU. They are a top 100 team.

It is a sad state of affairs when Cougar Fans have to be concerned about a team just because it is in the top 100. Ah for the days when top 50 were the only games worth thinking about…

Good analysis and I agree-Saint Mary’s has a good chance to unseat the Dogs this year. BYU is actually doing better than I thought they would after watching their first few games. I don’t think the NCAA will take 3 out of the WCC, so it’s likely it will be the NIT again.

That’s because parity in basketball is much greater with all the players going profession early. Top 100 is like the old top 50 now.

I’m curious about this …what is your evidence for it?

Great analysis but I see the Zags as far and away better than anyone. SMC as you say is disciplined but they are slow, unathletic and the never ever play away from Morunga. SMC could beat the Dogs at home on a great shooting night (BYU could too for that matter) but the Zags are far ahead of everyone else. They were a final 2 team last year and have replaced their talent with an upgrade at the point, Perkins, and will replace Collins/Karnuski with Hachimura./Tillie. Better team, yes, I said it, better this year

I do think that SMC is a solid #2 but they falter in the road, like snow in Utah. it just happens. Everyone thought they would be a top 20 team this year…Naaaa. They are all white and all slow. they hide it by playing on the home gym and by never wasting a possession. SMC in order to play in the big dance can have no less than a couple of losses to sub par teams because they never play anybody. BYU can beat them a home, just sayin.

We will just have to wait and see. I believe they will be better because they have upgraded their schedule and gone out on the road. Their center is really good and a senior. If they are ever going to do it, it will be this year…Anyway disagreeing is always kind of fun. Take care and remember this friendly wager-ill bet u a Snickers bar-ill mail it to you after all gotta be kind of dumb to bet against the Zags even Losing Collins-bet they weren’t really expecting that one!

Yeh you could be right Chris, the Zags are looking good this year per the norm. I’m just tired of them winning all the time so I’m going with St. Marys who look better than last year. Anyway, I hope BYU stays true to form and beats Gonzaga on the road and St Marys at home. Ugh I don’t know how SM gets 11 of their first 13 games at home. Sounds like Notre Dame in football

Really? I admit I’ve only watched them once this year but Perkins has always been the guy I’m not afraid of on that team. Put the ball in his hands on the final possession and he’ll screw it up. Am I off base here? I pay attention to the Zag sites and they seem to feel that way about him. Should say he does seem talented to me.

You had a chance to watch them more this year? What was their loss like?

The early departure of so many players now and the equality of teams being greater today than 40 years ago means there are more teams that are of top 50 quality.