Byu beats Colorado at home

No one even knew Jimmer’s name his sophomore year. Emery is already getting looks. Jimmer was great his senior year. Give Emery a break.

Haws is far ahead of Jimmer in his freshman year. Jimmer didn’t go on a mission so no mission rust there. Haws has a lot of work to do but has far greater upside. His height will also make a huge difference too.

Oh boy, Please give me a call when Emery gets drafted … not in the top 10 but just drafted period. Also, give me a call when Emery has a scoring average over 20 pts/game in a season in his collegiate career… Emery is not a better defender on defense, he is poor on help defense, but he is getting better. Emery is a good basketball player, just not in the category of Jimmer, the biggest difference in Emery and Jimmer is the ability to make their teammates better. Jimmer did that. Emery hasn’t shown that ability so far.

Give me a break. Jimmer was Mr. Hero Ball. Jacking up 40 footers. Defense? Jimmer was slow. He still is too slow to make it in the NBA and too short with no vertical leap :slight_smile:

Did you really believe Matthew Dellavedova would play in the NBA (I didn’t think so)? But good for him when he knows how to play defense and many dirty work. Jimmer is only two inches shorter than him and yes Jimmer didn’t play defense which is too bad. But I don’t understand why some teams didn’t use him for shooting purpose like I’ve seen like Kyle Kover and some others.
Who said Nick Emery going to play NBA? He is no NBA for his frame but he can be like Matthew Dellavedova. Nobody are talking about nba on both Emery & Haws.

Grasshopper is telling me that Haws is better than Jimmer AND that Emery is already getting “looks” from the NBA. The only looks Emery may be getting from NBA scouts is when they channel surf from one game to another and happen to accidentally press the BYUtv channel on their way bye!! When Jimmer dropped 42 on the Rockets and Harden … even though it was preseason I was amazed. Still maintain that if a team would allow him to run the pt he would excel in the NBA. But, we will never know. Just like we will never know how good of a team BYU would have been if Rose had put KC at the 3 position and allowed a true point guard to run the team over the last 3 years.

Big difference between 6-4 and 6-2 in the NBA. Delivedova can jump a lot better too. Jimmer should have had a better chance. But, shooting guards are a dime a dozen.

Big difference between fans and analysts. Fans let emotions cloud their judgements. They become smarter than the coaches and everyone else. They have their favorite players and performance becomes secondary. When a player is shooting 25% fg and 20% from the foul line that player still has much to prove and any minutes they get is a bonus. Then they come up with conspiracy theories as to why something is happening the way they think it should happen. Such as the player made a deal if he came back he would be the starter, way out crap that is so ridiculous it makes people look like morons. The truth is coaches want to win period. Their jobs are at stake based on their performance. I don’t compare players. Jimmer was a tremendous shooter. Haws is a different type of player. He is going to have to play better, get stronger, shoot better to play in the NBA. It’s a possibility, but will take a lot of work. Child’s and Mika have a better chance, but neither are NBA ready. Emery too small unless he can consistently shoot well and handle the ball better. No BYU goggles-just observations.

Whatever smarty!

Now that’s an intelligent response…NOT!

It would be so nice if things were as simple and easy as you have tried to paint them. Yes, Rose wants to win but you can’t tell me there isn’t a HUGE amount of pressure, right now, to win with the LP kids… no matter what. He hired their high school coach for crying out loud!

Do you think he would rather lose with the LP than risk losing with other players? Of course he would. Do you think he would prefer winning with the LP or risk winning with a different group?

If you honestly don’t think there are some politics at work here, even if they won’t admit or even if they don’t realize it, then you haven’t been around enough or seen enough of what is going on. How do you think guys like Nielson or Bartley get away? Do you think they both got a fair chance to prove themselves? No way… too much pressure on the coach with the players coming in. Why hasn’t Dastrup been given the time to develop like Haws? What about all of his “mission rust”? They were both espn top 100’s, right? I guess we will never know, unless of course Dastrup decides to transfer and play for a team that comes into Provo in a couple years and gives BYU another embarrassing beatdown…

Why are you back to the LP guys? There are no LP players anymore. They are all BYU players. They are all BYU coaches. If they were from some
Chicago school, would you be going on and on about that school? It makes no sense. It is simple-why do you always try to find the hidden deception in life that you claim nobody else can see? If there are better players than Mika on the bench than they should be playing more, but there aren’t. If there are better guards they should be playing more, but with Bryan ailing, there aren’t. Beo has been the best reserve off the bench and his minutes have increased significantly. Somewhere along the line you have to give the minutes necessary to get these guys ready to play and it’s paying off-they are getting better. Finally, yes, coaches are human and make errors in judgement and many get fired. Nielsen wasn’t an error in judgement. He was a bean pole who took the initiative to transform himself into a better ball player at UVU. Are you really that qualified to be second guessing every move these football and basketball coaches make-no you aren’t -or you would making a ton of money doing something you love doing. I realize this is an opinion oriented site and everyone has the right to express their views, but in the end they are views from fans and fans are often fickle, prejudice, and short sighted.

Bartley averaged 18 minutes a game for the last month of the season. The very definition of earning time. He wanted to play somewhere else. That he turned his back on significant minutes at BYU to go where he is now is cannot be blamed on the LP3. It wouldn’t have taken any imagination on his part to see that he would have been a two year starter. He chose to walk away from it.

Nielson didn’t want to play the way Coach Rose wanted him to. Shockingly, ( I mean this with as much irony as I can muster) now he is playing the way Coach Rose wanted him to. The year off gave him some time to reconsider. Though I wouldn’t be surprised that having a big man who played in the league talk some sense into him was an important part of his reconsideration.

Cory Calvert the year before his mission was getting more minutes as the year went on. He didn’t pick up where he left on for whatever reason: the crowded guard bench probably including Emery who played the same position but was clearly better.
But given a red shirt year after a year of mission recovery in some semi-professional gym working out with pros and next year he too will be closer to making his potential.

That they rejected their role on the team is not uncommon in today’s NCAA. I think if you look at the stats. Until last year when the team hemorrhaged talent Rose was actually doing a lot better in the world of transfers than most NCAA Division 1 coaches.

Bingo…Over 700 student athletes transferred this past year. Some of them are “professional” transfer artists, eg: Carlino and Heaps. For what ever reason they always think the grass is greener, in some cases athletes come into programs with a whole lot of politics or they just don’t fit.

Sure BYU has its politics. I have posted many times the historical of how Coach Rose landed so many ESPN 100 players and how they got here because Emery signed as a Jr and Haws signed as a HS Freshman. Lifelong friend, Mika, wanted in. Then Saljass, Baxter from Timp who I think has the game to rival Childs, Childs, Beo, Dastrup all mentioned they wanted “IN” with the LP3. These guys all had offers to go to some pretty big schools…they chose BYU because they knew something good was brewing.

BYU is the most unique school in America because most of our kids two 3 years off to do missions and we have an honor code so I think we have to factor that in and not compare our program to any other.

Lastly, I have called for Rose’s head when I see lazy defense, something any team can fix with effort. I was not alone and I am pretty sure Rose and the coaches heard it loud and clear. UVU was like a nuc for us and Rose and CO felt the heat…This is nothing compared to the head Coaches feel in other programs. Do you think Coach K is feeling the heat over the Grayson tantrum? or Krystowhack over “Play Safe”, The state of Utah audited the college over that one. Coaches get fired over this kind of crap.

I see real progress in the team and aside from key injuries, I am encouraged.

Ditto-if you can’t see Haws, Childs, Beo, Emery, Mika getting better game by game you aren’t paying attention. Just like any other player, they will have off games. I’m tired of the LP drivel-they are college basketball players now-LP is a memory and shouldn’t ever have been an issue. If Rose gets fired, it will most likely what happens on the court, but don’t look for it to happen anytime soon. BYU is unique-coaches don’t get fired that readily there because actually, it isn’t 100% about getting to the final four or the football championship.

With addition what Dave Rose has gone through. He had to preach just about every year on many changes of his young new players, transfers & missionaries. One time during those two years he lucked out while still intact with Jimmer, Brandon Davies, Noah Hartsock, Abuo and Jax.
Now this year he got it made with possible three years or longer to come when most of his players will be around and grow to be a better chemistry team. He still has some time the rest of the way this year and they more likely will end up at NIT or One and Done NCAA. Those players will be hungry thinking it is a new season “WCC”!

I will make a prediction right now that if BYU gets into the NCAAs, they win a couple. I am not saying they will get to dance but if they do, that means that we will have beat SMCs and Gonzagas of the WCC and we get a good seed.

It also means that BYU has figured out things and that our injuries have healed.

What may be a true statement is that Haws has been given way more playing time in his freshman year and Jimmer was given zero. That is a true and accurate statement.

Lol! Sorry, seeding hasn’t been too kind for quite sometime including other sports.
Fine, we get in the NCAA as a Playin (Tuesday), win two games and then lose on the third game in the Same Week!

Not sure Wiki is always right or what but to my surprise, I don’t remember he played his freshman year.

Freshman year[edit]

Fredette played in all 35 games for the BYU Cougars as a true freshman, helping BYU earn a 27–8 record and capture the Mountain West Conference Championship. He averaged 18.5 minutes, 7.0 points, 1.7 assists, 1.1 rebounds per game, and was the team’s fifth-leading scorer.[12]