BYU Championship Culture?

grasshopper: . . . loose thickness inntheir brain vortex . . . me: no such thing as a brain vortex. grasshopper: . . . losing some connection from the physical senses. I took that as being sociopathic . . . me: that is not sociopathic. Sorry Scott, normally I would not comment but this is something I know about.

Check out the study. Oh, are you admitting to being a sociopath? :expressionless:

Roy: Hopper was just trying to explain what is wrong with him personally… not that it would apply to anyone else in society or actually be a medical issue with the general population. This vortex
In the brain is only a Hopper malady when talking about sports and teams/players. You will need to cut him some slack. :joy:

When I was in High School, the church had three sports that youth could play. Basketball, Volleyball and softball. It was suppose to be about fun and building unity among the youth of the ward. That is why they would not allow anyone who played these sports in High school to play in church league.

It actually helped me become a member of the church. Although, I will say we had some pretty nasty games that ended up in fights. One kid broke both wrist doing a layup (the wall was too close to the basket).

We played basketball as often as we could find someone who had a key… that was our life “Sports”, it helped keep the kids out of trouble, while learning a game. In fact, my first bishop use to have a Bishopric vs Priest game every year (the bishopric always cheated to win… LOL).

Those are good memories… too bad our youth of today do not understand what they are missing, but as Tom said “They are masters of video games”.

We had a Stake President that hated sports… literally…

He stopped the sports program in our stake because of the behavior of the “Saints”. Apparently someone contacted Church HQ, and a member of the 70’s called the Stake President and told he did not have the right to eliminate the sports program.

So he reinstated the sports program with the provision that if anyone was tossed out of the game for any reasons, the only way he could return to play was to have an interview with the Stake President.

That changed the demeanor to the games… LOL

Both Bill Gates & Steve Jobs - both are Billionaires and they played a lot of computer games (simple math games or aliens) whilie developing their hardware/software at their small garage one time and they launched their MS & MAC in early 80’s. Nothing wrong with their brain.

Scott, how did you know. Yes, I am the sociopath of sociopaths and I am your scariest nightmare. :expressionless:

Actually, only a very, very small number are actually dangerous. You are just a big teddy bear :hugs:

Ahhh… but they weren’t playing them. They were working and connecting with other people. Kids playing their games most of the time don’t. And, the study didn’t say they lost any IQ. They simply said they aren’t able to properly process outside stimulus to their senses. The lining is too thin.

Have you seen the documentaries on these two men?

Although they were brilliant men, they treated their co-workers like crap…

At Microsoft a programmer is expected to work a “normal” 60-70 hr a week…

The problem with the academic side of this is the fact that the athletic dept is not in charge of the university, the academics people are. They will never acquiesce their control.

1 Like

Yeah I did but can’t remember where I saw it at BYU. And it was mentioned that IBM went into ghost town in San Jose, CA. I was at IBM for a visit one day and it was really big place.

Bill Gates created more millionaires, who were programmers, than anyone else in the history of the world. None of the Microsoft millionaires complained much when the stock options were handed out, Hard work never hurt them because they retired in their mid 40’s!

You are correct THawk…

But with a catch - They do pay their employees well to compensate for the demands they put on them. Family life is not considered at MS. They expect the employee to put in between 60-70 a week including weekends.

Hard work never hurt anyone, but what MS does to produce those millionaires is not Hard work… it is abuse of power.

I know someone who worked for Microsoft – To become a millionaire as you stated, you must have worked for the company for five years(before stock option were available).

Why? because the average burnout for an programmer at MS is 3-5 yrs. If you survive, and you don’t get divorced because your wife and kids never see you, then yea… you become a millionaire. My friend left MS because his family was more important than money.

For every millionaire that MS produced, there are at least 10-20 employees who got burned out, lost their family and quit so they did not lose their families…