BYU cracks Top 10

Have no fear grasshopper, byu will run the table and get a new year’s six invite. Then national championship!

No, but seriously, they could run the table and may even end up with a 6 or 7 ranking, but it ends there. Personally I’d rather see the hype go down on Zack Wilson a little bit. He’ll be gone for sure if it continues. We need him worse next year when Utah and the brutal 2021 schedule come around.

I just thank my lucky stars that byu finally has a legit offensive playcaller on the sidelines. Very impressed with Grimey’s schemes. He can actually adjust in game too. Been a long time since I could say I felt confident about the playcalling on the offensive side of the ball…Not since the coveted Robert Anae days has a byu offense looked so smooth. :smile:

1 Like

Like everyone I am happy with the team in general. But the stand outs have been the receivers, the play calling on offense (not defense) and the special teams. I like what I see but I am hesitant to jump on the bandwagon with the horrible quality of opponents we have faced. Any decent team would look good against the schedule we have played. Let’s play a good team and then evaluate. Wilson may face a top defense and look poor. Really the knock on Zack has been his in game decisions when pressure was put on him. I want to satisfy my curiosity and see pressure put on him for most of a game and see what he does. He may have turned the corner but maybe not. I think if Romney had started the season we would still be undefeated. We would all be singing his praises. Let’s just wait until at least Boise shows us what we are made of.

I can’t disagree more my new friend. Boise will be tough to stop their offense. They gave up 31 points to an average Air Farce. Wilson is the real deal.

I’m with you on this one Hawk. Our opponents have been worse than bad-they are TERRIBLE.
That said, I have recently posted that I think it’s clear that we have the best talent we have had since Sitake showed up, and BYU has at least NFL practice squad level talent at every position group, and that makes this a good team against any competition. A great team? A top 10 team? IDK. I agree with you that we can make that call after we play BSU. If we beat BSU by more than a TD on the road, I think we deserve the top 10 ranking. A close win or loss and I think we should be ranked around 20.
If we get pounded we are not even a top 25 team.

Agree with most. Not the part about how many points we win by. Not against Boise in Boise.

I don’t judge Wilson on the wins- I judge Wilson on the throws he is making. He can make every possible throw with accuracy and velocity and even touch. There is not a quarterback around that looks good when they are getting continually thrown to the ground. As for Romney as compared to Wilson this year-no comparison-not as quick and doesn’t have the arm strength of Wilson-nor as accurate-still BYU probably would still be unbeaten. Of course a loss to BSU, and it’s a good possibility, then all the hoopla dies down and BYU still finishes 9-1 and gets a decent bowl bid-which is probably the reality-and still a fun year to watch BYU football. When everything is said and done this year, the overall success of BYU will be on the offensive line. If they protect Wilson and if they open lanes for two very good running backs-they will control the ball and the clock. The defense will play their conservative style and manage to hold the opponents scoring down. Prediction-9-1

I still think we will get another game like with Cincinnati or Marshall.

I’m hoping our defense against Boise will create a couple of costly turnovers. And, I’m hoping our receivers will get open and not control the time of possession but score 63 points.

Romney’s passing does look a lot weaker this year. Wonder why?

I think you will find that whoever runs the ball the best will win this game. After the Navy game, BYU’s OL was a big topic of discussion, then the injuries and Covid set in and now it’s not so defined. As for Romney-could be a matter of fewer reps, but he never was very agile and during the off season Wilson took it up a couple of notches and except for the ill-timed throw against WK, he has been making much better decisions

Was it Empy that was doing the bad snaps against WK? I hope we have that fixed. I expect the line to be superb.

What I don’t get is why can’t teams practice today? So, it’s Election Day? Big deal. Most people have already voted. And, we know even if Trump looks like he’s the winner, Biden is going to declare victory anyway and then the battle for the Union begins.

#8 seems about right for now. There will be plenty of changes with OSU and Indiana on a collision course. USC should of lost their game. Cinn is still ranked ahead of BYU with @ UCF looming. Still a ton of football to be played.

I’m hoping we can pick up another game like Marshall or Cincinnati.

That would be good but I’d rather face Utah and beat them. Army should play BYU on November 28.

Utah isn’t likely to have room on their schedule if they can actually start playing next week. The big question is can we land a #5 - #9 team who would have to be lucky to get a CFP spot without a signature win over a #8 BYU team? If we keep our open dates and don’t give them away to a Marshall or Cincy we might be able to lure a P5 team who HAS to have a win against a team like BYU to have a shot at the CFP. If we spring the upset … we are in! Don’t load up the open dates … save them as “rest dates” to be prepared physically against a really good team.

Utah canceled against WA but WA isn’t a big enough opponent for us. Maybe an open date against Clemson will materialize? They are in the final 4 right now but maybe in a week or 2 another option will come our way. Oregon might be it! They are bound to have a canceled game.

There was a “lid” put on all of college football by the Biden campaign!

That would be my dream as well. Kill two birds with one stone. Living in Utah, I feel the need to beat them.
I would bet Marshell is looking for that big win. We could play them as well.

Not going to play Army, just no juice to it after they lost.