BYU season report card and where we really stand

Barry never coached the HS–just legion. He started the T’ville legion program in 1981 and coached there until 1989, then moved to St George and took over the Dixie HS legion program that he ran until his death in 1996. When my wife and I were at BYU, Barry and his wife lived just a couple blocks from his parents, with whom I was also SUPER close, in Salt Lake and my wife and I spent a lot of time with them hanging out at the house, watching games and getting fed for free. I think in 15 years coaching legion ball, his team reached the championship game 12 times, winning 8 or 9. I think the Utah American Legion championship trophy is now named after him. Barry scouted for the St Louis Cardinals and was very close with Bruce Hurst. If you are at least my age (54) or older, you may have worked some of his games! He was infamous for getting all over the umpires, but they all loved him anyway. I bet there were 1000 people at the funeral in St George, including a lot of umpires, coaches, former players and former opponents. Barry was an incredible football player in HS, but baseball was ALWAYS his first true love. He strayed from the gospel in the minor leagues and had a few rough years with substance abuse, but he got back on the right path in his mid 30’s and never wavered for a minute once he made that commitment. After all he had been through, his sudden and unexpected death at such a young age was a blow I will never forget. Barry made a lot of people better and proved that even those who apparently “have it all” can falter, be humbled, and work their way back to greatness (both in sports and in life).

1 Like

He’s an amazing person, and a great recruiting tool. I had met him when I was in high school and was at BYU baseball camp (that was during his playing years in college). I switched from a psycho-liberal district to ALA for other reasons, but it was a dynamite choice for many more. ALA and Queen Creek Unified were the only two districts to open and stay in-person for school the entire semester. I knew that Ty Detmer was the new district AD, and I had said to our principal when he’s on campus, I have a poster I’d love him to sign. They walked into class (masked), and the principal said he understood I had something I needed signed. I was confused, and then Ty took off his mask and I lit up and got the poster. He shook my hand, and I introduced him to the students as a Heisman award winner and NFL quarterback, and our new AD.

Masks are actually very lightly enforced at ALA. I haven’t worn one all year, and 1/2 to 3/4 of my students don’t, either. And no outbreaks of sickness outside of the usual seasonal illness — or deaths. ALA-QC won the 3A championship last year and moved up to 4A, and lost to returning champs Mesquite in the semi’s 19-16. ALA-Gilbert surprised, making it to the 3A semi’s, and lost to Snowflake 28-26. At that game, play was stopped twice while the audience was chewed out about distancing and masks. The audience (Snowflake, too) chanted “USA! USA! USA!” Masks/normal life are pretty polarizing in Arizona right now . . .

ALA has some good football, and a part of that is Detmer’s networking and contacts in getting kids looks and opportunities to play beyond high school.

I am sorry for your loss. I hear of these things with frequency and having been a bishop the last 5 years or so it is never easy. I am also sorry if something I said was taken the wrong way. I wish sometimes I knew all the ins and outs of what goes on so I could make informed decisions about situations that were accurate and real. I don’t know if any of us is capable of that.

I hope you continue to post, seriously.

Love this quote. I have often felt disgruntled over the same but when I go to bed and night and say my prayers I am honestly grateful that I have been blessed in many other ways. It may sound cliche but I am guessing you know what I am talking about McKay. I have been ripped off by church members but it was my dad who really got it bad. It is unfortunate.

Corbin - practice squad on the worst team in the nfl (jets).
Devin - defensive end, Utes.

Are they really “both in the nfl”?

Comments like that just add to the delusional state of the population in Utah about the level of talent and skill there. Yes, there are some really good/great players from Utah that go on to have great pro careers in sports but lets be real about it at least.

Lastly, nothing happened to me with regard to nepotism at BYU. I see myself as someone who is observant and willing to say something when I see it. I’m like the kid who says “the emperor has no clothes” and shocks everyone. Sorry if it upsets people but I find it helpful.

We moved back in 1980 from BYU. Apparently, there was a group of scammers going through Ventura County from Utah selling “Limited Partnerships” with houses. They asked that you put down the down payment and they would pay the monthly payments. It was supposed to be for 5 years but they called the partnership early and left town with the money. They worked within four company saying it was part of our financial service but it was not. A lot of members got hurt.

People think we’re nuts, but we’ve really been blessed by living with only my income as a teacher. A lot of people have said over the years, “What did you do with your kids?” (they have turned out really good), but they only kind of want to know. We’ve talked about this a lot as a couple. People don’t really want our life. We’ve made our own fun and been close as a family. Most people don’t really want to live our lifestyle, and deprive their kids and themselves of all the latest. But, our kids avoided the whole electronics addiction lifestyle because they didn’t have phones, video games, etc. Not having tons of money also really did protect us from investments (good, and bad), fretting about home/property values, investment account dividends, etc. It’s actually a lot more simple and stress-free.

Read my post again Floyd. I didn’t do that. You took too separate statements and linked them together. My comment was intended to show that Detmer has been dealt a lot of crap, in spite of his greatness and the fact that he is such a great person. It happens to a lot more people than we realize. I am confident that Ty Detmer is a quality human being. I have heard it from many personal experiences and have a few small experiences of my own that prove it. I stand by what I actually said in my post.

You mean JCoug…

I appreciate your comments Aro. I have said this before but you are one of the most intelligent and thoughtful posters on this board. I think it is important to hear these things because it lends credibility to your comments and helps make them personal. It helps us regular joes connect with the stars, who are still just regular people when it is all said and done. Thanks for posting as always. :grinning:

hey brotha, Hang in there. Friends get you through the rapids, remember there is always calm water after.

1 Like

I’m the other intelligent person Jim respects…

Somebody wake the Hopper, he’s having another one of those bizarre dreams… :roll_eyes:

Hey, California just got enough names to have a re-call on the Governor! Let’s do it! I’ll run!

Steve Young played for Tampa bay and stunk… Does that mean by your view he was not good?

Both Kaufusi brothers are NFL team members, which means they are good enough to play. It does not matter if they are on a winning team or not. What matters is they play in the NFL

Bronson was a starter for the Ravens until an injury sidelined him… He has not been the same since.

The only one who is “Delusiona” is you JIM! Your anti Utah BS has blinded you to the Truth.

It is a fact that Utah produces great quality players that EVERY P5 Team from Alabama to USC to Oregon to Ohio State ALL recruit… Our best QB (Dart) just signed with USC, Every BYU signee today that came from Utah all had offers from P5 schools…

So please just stop the BS anti Utah mantra, because it is not true.

Just because you Observe something, does not mean that it is “Truth”, it is merely an opinion based on your personal biases. Just like me, or Fish or Thawk or anyone else… It is simply opinions being expressed.

Mckay, but you also taught your children how to deal with disappointment and failure (at least that is the feeling I got from your post) which in our world today, seems to be an lost art.

They wonder why teen suicide is so high, I believe a big part of it that parents failed to teach their children how to do deal with disappointment and failure.

I am not in any way, shape or from diminishing the depression and how that affects people, especially with our youth. It is a serious issue that has struck my own family, but I think there are some things done in today’s society that has contributed to depression being more wide spread.

McKay are you from the Gilbert area?

One of my mission buddies Joseph Lynch was a seminary teacher there. Can’t miss him, he was like 6-5 and 280. Always looked like his suits never fit. He has a very interesting conversion story.

He once told me when he was a kid he use to play cowboy and Indians with real bow and arrows and guns. LOL not sure that was true, but he did come from the Bronx area, so who knows?

My mission President daughter lives there as well Emma Patterson Hatch.

Really? You think I get the same respect for my opinions?

You get respect for your opinion when you respect others opinion as well.

I try a lot of times to respect your opinion, but then you make comments that make that hard.

1 Like

I’ll chime in here by saying that I consider any player good enough to draw at least one regular season NFL check—even on a practice squad—an “NFL player.” The guys good enough for practice squads are usually outstanding and even dominating players in college.

Not a problem. Just don’t care about BYU internal politics anymore or whining about aspects of the FB program. With the death of my brother-in-law, I am just in a different place now.