BYU, the NIT and random thoughts

If you are one of his pet players like Worthington, Haws, Childs or Emery then you probably are fine with things the way they are. You get to play a lot (sometimes whether you produce or not), you get to be a team captain and you don’t have to be accountable for your actions.

But if you are not a pet player or sitting behind lesser players and not getting the playing time you deserve then it is probably not fine. Hardnett is leaving, Baxter’s development curve was fairly flat because he didn’t play enough this season early on.

This is not some current phenomena either. This is a pattern that has been shown over the last several years. I keep hoping that it will disappear when the last of the LP3 move on but the direction is not headed the right way so I am not as hopeful as I was…

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that the program needs a change. It is okay. Things aren’t working right now and they have been trending downward for several seasons, so things need to change. It is time to clean house and start fresh. Rose has been a very good coach but “has been” is the key phrase. I think it is time for him to move on.

1 Like

Again about the Baxter thing in which you are 100% wrong. But it’s futile to go through that again. Your mind is made up regardless of how faulty your conclusion is. Rose will coach this team next year to a NCAA Tournament birth and you’ll be eating crow or coming up with some other lame reason :slight_smile:

Hopper you are wrong

Hopper: Rose will coach this team next year to a NCAA Tournament birth and you’ll be eating crow or coming up with some other lame reason :slight_smile:

Wrong again

It’s been so long that it will seem like being a first time parent and the BIRTH of a child? Is that what you mean by BIRTH? That if BYU can somehow get into the ncaa tournament again it will be like being born again or a BIRTH?

Playoff berth . In a sports league, a playoff berth is a position in the playoffs secured (“clinched”) ahead—and sometimes well ahead—of the season’s conclusion. … In some leagues, only the leader of each division qualifies for the playoffs, thereby requiring clinching the division in order to clinch a playoff berth.

Also, I stand by my comments about Baxter. I am not wrong, but we will never know because Rose didn’t give him the opportunities to play early on. Rose stuck with his man Worthington, who was so READY to play I am surprised that as a senior he didn’t make an all league team… LOL!

The whole ready or not thing regarding Baxter not being ready and comparing that with Worthington as being ready is a joke. There is nothing to talk about. The evidence to the contrary is so obvious there is no point talking about it anymore… you are right.

The decision kept them from a NIT bid as well as a NCAA bid.

Wow, that was deep…Not!

Ok, Hopper … I think all of us on this board are willing to take the bet that you are wrong on Rose leading this bb into the NCAA tourney next season. If you are right… I will leave this forum for a year and so will a bunch of other posters. However, if you are wrong … which the vast majority of us think you are (on many topics including the NCAA Rose run next year) … you leave the board for a year!

Take the bet??

Of course he won’t take that bet-it’s a sucker bet!

I wouldn’t want you to not post for a year. That’s no fun :bathtub:

Don’t worry about me, I’ll be OK … I just want you to be accountable for the statement that Rose and the boys will be into the NCAA tourney next season!

Sr Burton, that is why I expected him to take the bet!!

Dave Rose, very good guy. Good basketball mind. Probably not had his heart into it for a couple of years. But time to retire and he realized it. That is worthy of him to admit and move on. It is time.

Hopper wants to portray everyone as Rose haters, but it couldn’t be farther from the truth. It was just that time. Hopper couldn’t take your bet, because he wouldn’t be able to be obnoxious for a whole year and that would kill him​:wink::hugs:

It’s just a part of his “me against the world” attitude that he perpetuates on this board. I look at it more like “rebel without a cause”.

I thought all the alumni were ganging up on Rose to force Holmoe to fire him. Now, all of a sudden the clanking loudmouths are all gushy and saying smooth things about Rose. You guys got your wish and Holmoe gave Rose the honor of retiring instead of being fired. At least be honest about this :innocent:

No one ever accused Rose of being a bad guy. People also gave him credit for lifting the team and program out of a 1-25 season.

However, if he had been honest with himself over the last 4 years … he would have come to the conclusion that his heart wasn’t into it and he tried to skate by on local talent with very little energy into recruiting. Just his blank stare at the court as we were getting trounced should have given the observant fan a clue. I am not including you in that group!

We can blame it on recruiting, we could blame it on the players themselves (but he recruited everyone of them) or we could blame it on coaching or even assistants … but in reality it was probably some of all those areas.

It is always hard to see a long time coach leave. But it will happen sooner or later. BYU basketball will be just fine. You might be surprised to see the team rebound in the next 3 years. If they don’t, I won’t have any misgivings other than if they pick the wrong new coach.

Bottom line is that Holmoe is feeling tremendous heat. If he stood behind Rose, then Rose had to guarantee him that the team would be markedly better next year or they would both be out the door. Having a bad bb team is one thing an AD can live through but having big issues in bb and fb at the same time …makes an AD have a very short life span. In the end, Rose couldn’t see a better outcome next year so he did the smart thing to step aside. Holmoe supported that decision.

That’s your take on it after saying the donors were irate wanting Rose gone. Now, you try to soften your approach. Say what you will. We know what you really think :slight_smile:

Hopper, you can complain all you want. I repeatedly said that Rose didn’t have the recruiting, player development, defensive coaching ability, player supervision and other issues … but my biggest complaint is that I thought Rose had lost his passion and energy level for the game and the job he was tasked to do … and so did a lot of other people …

The bottom line is that there were others who didn’t agree with my observations and you were one of them. There were some who defended Rose at every turn.

It all came to a head over the last week when Holmoe and Rose set down to talk on a number of occasions. Rose is the one who finally made the last coaching decision of his career and it was the right call! It was he who said that he didn’t have the energy… he was tired. His “soul” wasn’t into it and he couldn’t regain the passion. It is Rose who confirmed what those alumni/fans could see before he could. He is ready for a new challenge in life. BYU bb is ready for new leadership and Rose called the final timeout … we didn’t! If you want to be mad at the situation … direct it at Rose. He made the call. He changed the game. Good luck to him. I hope he says healthy and gets happy … and I hope we get a new coach who loves to work and is passionate about BYU basketball! I think this could end well for everyone involved. I hope it does!

He dealt with this cancer and he knew it took a toll on himself. I hope nothing bad things with his health. I am sure he is happy that he called a quit in coaching. Wish him and his family happy days to come.

And it will take time to find the right basketball coach at BYU. Hopefully this next guy will do great sooner than we think.

Thank you Dave Rose for doing good things at BYU basketball program. The best basketball guard player of UHouston Phi Slamma Jamma!

Hopper is a pot stirrer and he will believe whatever he wants to believe. That won’t always coincide with reality or the truth. He has tried to portray the rest of us as Rose haters, when in reality (notice that word again) we appreciate what he did for BYU basketball.

There is no shame in his decision to retire now. The truth (notice that word again) is that it was time. He knew it and so did anyone with a brain. Incidentally, I googled the question “do grasshoppers have a brain” and got this -

(The grasshopper has a brain located between his eyes, just above the esophagus. The brain is connected to the 1st ventral ganglion by a pair of ventral nerves that surround his gut. The grasshopper can do many things, like walking and jumping, WITHOUT his brain .)

FYI - I do know that our grasshopper can walk and jump but I cannot certify to anything else. I have hoped for many years that his posts would enlighten us as to whether he has a brain that functions for activities other than walking and jumping but to this day I am still not sure.

Back to Rose now. It is a high stress job and it was probably hard on him, especially the last several years when things didn’t go like he hoped they would.

No big deal.

As a side note, there have been several ncaa D-1 coaches who have been fired the past few days. A lot of them have been relatively successful, as in taking teams to the ncaa tourney, having winning records at schools that did not previously have that and other things. There is a lot of pressure to win and a lot of it is nonsense. BYU won more games than they lost just like they do pretty much every year, but the way they were losing and all of the things thawk mentioned were also happening so it is all good. It will be good to have a fresh start.

Had a great laugh!