BYU-Utah game thoughts. Biggest win of the year to date

1. BYU just got a glimpse of a Big Dance invite. This was a must win game for BYU to even hope for a Dance Chance.
  2. Bryant is a star. His 3 is smooooooth as silk. He was far too strong for Bibbins to cover, what was 80K thinking? hahaha. His career high of 29 is over shadowed by this complete game. 9 rebs and 4 assists.
  3. I thought Utah would outrebound BYU. With Utah’s top rebounder, Tillman out, Utah could not keep up with Bryants-Childs rebounding. BYU 33, Utah 28
  4. One Ute showed up to play…Rawson had 15 points, 10 rebs and 7 assists. Outside of that, Utah was beat on every phase of the game.
  5. Childs was a warroir out there. Utah did not have any success penetrating until Childs went out with a weird lower leg muscle tear. Childs makes BYU a contender.
  6. Home court advantage is a big deal for BYU. When I say home court, I really mean 3 point shooting. BYU hit 50% from beyond the arc. 10 of 20 over a Utah team that averages keeping opponetes to 26%.
  7. Can we be done with the Dastrup bench garbage? Dastrup has 8 points and 4 rebs in 10 minutes…Worthington scores 2 points, 3 fouls and 5 rebs in 16 minutes of play.
  8. Rose, or should I say Shroyer outcoached 80K almost from the start. Small ball and better outside shooting beat Utah’s inside game, 52% to Utah’s 46%, but BYU’s 50% to Utah’s 22% from 3 land was a killer.
  9. If BYU has the lead toward the end of games, you’re not going to beat them. BYU is shooting close to 80% as a team from FT. Good luck WCC foes…BYU wins 4-6 close games on that stat alone.
  10. Church Money (Haws) and Seljaas really need to get into the weigh room. Utah went right at them all night and they are to scrawny to stop anyone driving to the hoop. Haws may have had an off night shooting 1-7 but he had a great assist night with 6 and got some much needed rebs at the end of the game.
  11. BYU is winning games with defense, something we have not been able to say for about a decade. Like I said, Good job coaching, Heath.
  12. Would BYU have beaten a Utah team with Kusma and Loveredge on it? doubt it but it is safe to say that we beat a Coach Krystowhac team pretty good. Now we need to root for the Utes in P12 play.
  13. I think we can safely say that BYU is a more balanced team this year. Our defense was key to victory tonight and makes me think we have a crack at beating SMC at home.

I was so excited when BYU was able to hire Coach Shroyer. I thought he was good in the past at BYU and he hasn’t lost a step in getting the most out of these players this year. The defense is winning games. I too thought Dastrup did a great job for the few minutes he got. He scored 8 points and some of them 3’s that held Utah off during those last minutes of the game. I like it when both Dastrup and Childs are in the lineup. They owned the boards. This team has really turned around from last year. I think it will put a lot more people in the seats again! The AD got to love it…

1 Like

Really has a feel of a program that is headed in the right direction. Rose has to be sleeping well at night with Heath coaching.

1. BYU just got a glimpse of a Big Dance invite.
    Dew: don’t go there please. Not until selection day.
  2. Bryant is a star.
    Dew: he was last night. He’s not like Jimmer. But keep it up which he has been fun to watch this year.
  3. I thought Utah would outrebound BYU.
    Dew: NOT!!! Well we did better than they did.
  4. One Ute showed up to play…Rawson had 15 points, 10 rebs and 7 assists.
    Dew: I am fine with that
  5. Childs was a warroir out there.
    Dew: Yes he was, But I think should should of rest more and let Dastrup play additional 20 minutes.
  6. Home court advantage is a big deal for BYU.
    Dew: Nice to see over 50% shooting on 3’s. On paper they said attendance was some 16,000 fans which I said more than that, like over 19,000 fans.
  7. Can we be done with the Dastrup bench garbage?
    Dew: I agree which he should of played some 35 minutes. 8 pts, 3-4 shooting, 2-2 3’s, 4 reb, 10 minutes. No foul and HE ONLY GOT 10 MINUTES??? Child should of rest or do some cheerleading for Payton :grinning:
  8. Rose, or should I say Shroyer outcoached 80K almost from the start.
    Dew: Is Dave Rose letting Heath doing all those calls just like Dave Rice did after Dave close call cancer death?
  9. If BYU has the lead toward the end of games, you’re not going to beat them.
    Dew: are you talking about wcc regular season FT %? Yes they need to get better on FT.
  10. Church Money (Haws) and Seljaas really need to get into the weigh room.
    Dew: at least they are getting the dirty job done like Assists, Reb, FT. Lets hope we see more Dastrup playing time and Anduras back soon.
  11. BYU is winning games with defense, something we have not been able to say for about a decade.
    Dew: I like Heath too and thank you.
  12. Would BYU have beaten a Utah … Now we need to root for the Utes in P12 play.
    Dew: Glad we got those u monkeys off our back and it would be nice if they win many of those pac12 but I doubt about them doing it.
  13. I think we can safely say that BYU is a more balanced team this year. Our defense was key to victory tonight and makes me think we have a crack at beating SMC at home.
    Dew: our players and coaches are being consistent every games since after Arlington game and they need to improve even more. But for smc game end of December, I like to see over 19,000 fans in the MC (will those students be back early?). May not matter to smc players which I think they got use to us.

More Dew: DASTRUP NEED TO PLAY MORE!!!

nough said

How do you know Childs has a muscle tear? He had a spasm but have you heard something?

who said that? Saw no report about that. Sure hope not!

The camera panned to Childs over and over. He was trying to rub out the calve muscle. Not a ankle sprain as some media outlets have called it. It is either a spasm or a slight tear. Nice to see him walk off at the end.

Per Wrubel:
BYU now has a 4-1 record in KenPom tiered games (4-0 in Tier Bs, 0-1 in Tier A).

BYU and Gonzaga are tied in WCC with four tiered wins; Zags 4-2 (1-2 Tier A, 3-0 Tier B).

USD is 3-2 (all Tier Bs).

Saint Mary’s has played only one tiered game: Tier B loss v. Georgia.

How do you know Childs has a muscle tear?

Fish states it as a “weird muscle tear.”

Yeah sound fishy too. Hope we will find out maybe tonight with KSL or later or no news.

I too like what I see on the defensive end of the court. The true measure of this team will be on the road in the WCC. Don’t get wide eyed yet! We have no idea if Utah is very good or not. We sure could use Jordan Chatman right now. Great defense against Duke and 22 pts in the upset! Dastrup does need more playing time and I think we were messing with fire keeping Child’s in the game after he was hurt. Without Childs …long season ahead

Not sure how good Duke is either. I think Utah was good enough and well coached to say we are better than you and others think. Look at Gonzaga nearly losing to North Dakota State.

Duke is better than Utah!

LOL the smog must be bad in Cal-Duke in the top 10-Gonzaga top 20. Start wearing your glasses😉

They lost to weaker teams!! So did the mighty Gonzaga!!!

And they both lost to weak teams. Utah win was great!!!

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/byu-men-s-hoops-defensive-improvement-showing-up-in-preseason/article_9d1dc172-d3f8-5b1b-9f58-3cfe21ab843a.html

leg cramps, not a muscle tear. we can all collectively exhale now. Now if I see Dastrup sitting on the bench for extended periods, I will lose my mind.

Whatever they also beat great teams😁BYU hasn’t beat anyone going to the dance

Nobody knows yet who is going to the dance!! It doesn’t look like we have beaten anybody that is going to the dance but we are only about a 3rd of the way through the season. I noticed Massachusetts beat Georgia on Saturday and Illinois St. beat Mississippi. So those two wins may be a little better than we thought they were.