BYU vs. San Diego round 3

There is no excuse for this. This is something that all teams face, the good teams handle it and take care of business. BYU doesn’t have the mental fortitude to do it. Haws makes a wild pass and Hardnett saves an easy layup.

Now Bryant is out of the game because of lack of mental fortitude…

We are the dumbest, most skilled team in the wcc. How many chances did BYU keep giving USD at the end? Seriously, I am glad BYU pulled out the win, but this team needs some basic instruction in basketball 101.

I agree. Although Worthington played okay for a few minutes. But, Dastrup needs to give Childs a rest. He missed that little layup because he was gassed.

Too many cheap fouls by Bryant today. Haws has some too. Hardnett came through with free throws.

What was up with Cannon? Short on everything.

For once I saw the problem. Rose stopped coaching when we were up 17. The players got all giddy and happy but stopped working hard and began to play like they had won the game. Kiddos to SD coach for continuing to play hard and for their players to stay focused.

I have seen that many times. Never stop working hard from start to finish. Once the fat lady sing then celebrate. Now we play Monday night either SMC or Pep. and we better play hard start to finish!

JH: Calling Elyjah Bryant dumb when he got 5th foul. I would not say that but he was frustrated and hope he doesn’t do that again. losing both Eli and TJ was risky toward the end when you need them.

I had a hard time believing we won after they.

An adjustment was needed. We didn’t handle that press well.

The bumped twice so Eli drives his shoulder in to him. Easy call to make and unnecessary. Dumb foul. That doesn’t mean he’s dumb.

Pepperdine is getting players healthy and shot well last night. SM will be ready. They will be tired tomorrow and they will practice too. So, we should be well rested keeping the Sabbath. Maybe a big lineup against them would help. Dastrup starts at the 3. Put pressure on Landale.

The problem is teams shoot 3’s well against us. They make pressure shots and 35 foot shots too. Hopefully they will be off!

I’m surprised it took you the entire season to see a problem but good for you. This is a step in the right direction, moving forward. If you will continue to read and comprehend what many of us have been saying your eyes will open up and you will see a lot of things you have been blind to so far. :sunglasses:

I don’t really care at this point that Rose refuses to play Dastrup. Rose obviously believes that Dastrup brings nothing to this team and cannot help them win games.

It is one of the most bizarre situations I have seen in BYU basketball over the years.

I assume you mean the 5. My guess is Rose puts in luke, luke gets a couple quick fouls, Nixon comes in, gets abused we eventually see him use his size advantage against Yo and then late in the game Dastrup comes in. I don’t know if Dastrup is ready for that defensive assignment but I’d like to find out. Our chances of winning this game doing what we always do are slim.

If they shoot poorly, and El and TJ are on…then yeah, we could win this one. We need to be able to give Jock a bad time without doubling too hard. And for the life of me can someone please put the clamps on Naar?!? Play him man to man and switch if you have to prevent penetration but don’t let him pass. Contested 2’s from Naar. That’s what I want.

The possibility of Dastrup seeing the floor, let alone 5 minutes, is slim and none.

In two games vs. St. Mary’s this season Landale has totally dominated the game. You would think that Rose comes up with a plan to limit him, just like Gonzaga did, in order to give the team a better chance of winning the game.

Since BYU has done nothing all season to prepare or strategize for any team, yet has been able to have a winning conference record, tells me that they will not do anything different this time around.

I’m sure Bennett will have a number of different plans ready, just in case Landale is off. Landale will have lots of confidence coming into the game…

It’s a hard choice, double Landale or guard their shooters. I think we have to double him and take our chances. I want to make Naar win the game.

Game 1 at BYU - 31 pts. 13 rebounds

did BYU do anything different?

Game 2 at St. Mary’s - 32 pts. 14 rebounds

Now they have another opportunity… and I have a plan.

Put Dastrup in to start the game and tell him to foul Landale HARD every time he gets the ball inside. Wait for him to position himself to shoot and then wham, go after the ball but make sure to hack him with physicality.

Do it the first 5 times Landale tries to shoot and get in his head. Dastrup fouls out and gets to cheer and Rose doesn’t have to concern himself with putting him in the game at any time later.

Nope. Have a big lineup across the line. Dastrup-Childs-Nixon-Haws-Bryant. No matter where Landale goes he has a big on him.

He let’s them get too giddy. Usually happens when we get 9 point lead so we don’t stretch it to a double digit lead. It happened today we got the 17 point lead but then he let them get giddy and relax too much. Missed shots, turned the ball over and started reaching in defense.

LOL… you keep putting Dastrup in your suggested lineups. You do realize that he didn’t play one minute today, right?

He isn’t going to play any more this season and if he does it will be for a couple minutes at the most.

Rose played 9 guys and 2 of them fouled out.

BYU’s 4 star player isn’t even in the top 10 players on the team according to the coach.

We have a few right now. TJ, Yo and dastrup. Eli obviously underrated.

I hope Rose has a few cards to play. I hate losing to this team.

I agree. I’m watching the game again. Fowler has called Childs, Bryant and McCann now just called Childs, Bryant and Bryant isn’t even on the floor. Why can’t they get it right?

Maybe Rose will read the board. I know he follows my posts for help :wink:

I’m particularly interested in the section where we lost the lead. As to the name thing, I don’t get it either. They look nothing alike, names sound nothing alike, they don’t play at all alike…

We thought the game was over. We were too giddy. I’m watching it again and we just stopped working. Childs got tired and we missed some easy shots.