BYU vs. SMC round 3

Yeah, both St Zags practed hard on Sabath Day yesterday and we were well rested. Nice win tonight. Zags game was boring tonight and they didn’t look tired at all. Another game to play in the Final. Yoele was smooth tonight and amazing 3 pointers he did.

We were extremely active boxing him out. The defense, in general, rotated very well. Kudos to the Guards for navigating the picks better tonight. Yo did a good job contesting as well.

That is a good point. I’ll accept those scoring totals.

PD PT forever! I was not pleased with Luke’s play tonight. He made a few dumb mistakes that I didn’t appreciate. The double did it’s job but he gave up position a couple of times. Maybe PD would have as well but he provides some offense.

Yo’s mintues are a concern.

I don’t know about that. I thought they looked fine, not tired. That was by far the best game BYU has played all season and not because it was against SMC. They just looked like a team should look when they are playing well. I think they would have beaten Gonzaga with an effort like that.

I agree about Bennett though I am pretty sure he shook hands, it was fast and lacked sincerity. He has problems with his ego and attitude.

Not only our best play, but our best win all season. In a tournament!!! Nicely done Rose, Nicely done.

Also, Bennett isn’t a Mark few. That’s all I’ll say on that.

But most importanly…and this makes me so happy…Jock landale, Emmet Naar, and Calvin “goggles” Hermenson are all SENIORS!!! No more! No longer do I have to look at goggles knocking down threes and Landale somehow fall on top of the back of another player and not get called for a foul.

I doubt it. I have it on tape. Bennett wouldn’t do that

Keys to the game…You guys know the wrinkle that I talked about in practice? Well you saw a lot of it in the 2nd half.

Subing out Worthlesston for Nixon changed the game. Nixon got how many big rebounds? And Dunks…Worthington, you know…a dunk. He also got Landale two of his fouls, maybe 3. Nixon may just be that 4th player that we have been looking for all season to help out on scoring.

Eil on Hemmanson…shut down. Eli down the stretch is pure money. Love his game, his coolness.

Haws on Ford…career night. What did Ford have…27 points? When all you have to do to beat SMC is shut down Hermmy and Ford. Haws was 10 ’ away all night…Gaaaaaah

I thought that Hardnett and then Cannon did a GREAT job on keeping Naar from driving to the hoop.

Getting Hermmy and Landale in early foul trouble was the key to the game.

Lastly, Childs had his best game as a coug and in front of a ton of NBA scouts there to scout Landale. Good on ya, bro.

That has got to be fixed. Although they he did put up a lot of points on some of our other guards. I need to rewatch it for that specific thing.

I’m now very curious to see how we adapt to Gonzaga. It’s a different puzzle but we haven’t solved it yet this year.

If the Zags shoot like they did over SD, we are toast. They must of hit 15 threes.

Tillie has not missed a shot since he rolled into Vegas. He is like 9 for 9 on his 3s. The good thing is, he is a head case and the law of averages says he’s gonna miss.

Hashimoura has been on fuego. Acting all NBA out there now. Few has a lot of weapons.

BYU will have their hands full staying in this one.

OK, since when was the last time BYU had 11 three point attempts in a game? The wrinkle was to have Nixon or ELi bust in from the corner on a drive. Nixon changed the game with his put backs, rebounds and just plain getting Landale to foul him.

With 6 minutes to go, I had not seen Eli get the ball or he was passing away when both Landale and Hermmy had 4 fouls each…then at 3 minutes all of the sudden Eli gets all of the plays. I knew the game was over at that point…and why didn’t Bennett have his guys grab Nixon? Daaaaa. Fouling Eli or Haws is FUTILE…game over.

The fact that Yo hit 3 big shots killed those guys. The one thing that I wish we could of seen was a camera on Dellivadova and watch him whine.

One last key…keep Seljaas outta da game.

Where would we be if we had played Dastrup and Bergerson here and there all season?

Who knew Seljass would be this ineffective. He’s had some good moments but Dastrup can’t play against guards. His only chance is to beat Worthington out. Or if Ainge recruits Childs then Dastrup can play the 4.

Woulda had a rested Yoeli and Elijah for tomorrow and not lose anything when they were out of the game tonight. They are going to be gassed tomorrow night.

Maybe that is Rose’s next developmental stage, learning how to get talented players into games early in the season so they can make contributions later when it matters.

What in the world?

Only 6 turnovers too! SM was lucky to have made it to the second round. We just have better players to pull out the victory. We have to play a perfect game to be Gonzaga again. 61% shooting. 45% from 3s. 87% free throws. 6 turnovers and 20 assists. 7 assists from Haws.

Naaa, SMC plays such a slow down game. BYU looked ready to play a second game.

Childs is a mile away from being NBA ready. He has the body, we can start from there but Childs is going to have to retool his shooting mechanics to much consistent shots ( but hey, after that scorching volley of 3s and inside moves, I’ll take it)

You know, That’s something I like to see from him. He’s such a high energy player.

Can’t stand that man. [quote=“fish, post:29, topic:7903”]
Where would we be if we had played Dastrup and Bergerson here and there all season?
[/quote]

PD PT ALL DAY

Eh. Child’s problem is he is 6’8" but he plays center a lot. If he can learn to play face up especially from farther out and get that three up closer to 38% then we can start talking about him playing his natural position of SF. Also, the ball handling. He can do it if we give him the leash to develop it. He’ll make mistakes but I’m all for investing mistakes into development.

Yes those guys are gone after this season. But those refs will be around for a long time to help St. Zags teams. I know which was a bad thing what I said. Maybe not because refs did fine in this game especially 2nd half.

There were a few touchy feely calls. Landale did not foul Nixon. Childs did not foul Landaie towards the end. But I’ll take that game and just hope the “Nose” is not reffing tomorrow, he called the Gonzaga game.

Outside of Haws guarding Ford from 10 feet away, I loved what we did. BYU dominated SMC in every single category.

The player we have been looking for all season, Payton Dastrup, was still sitting on the bench.
The player Coach Rose was waiting for all season and talked highly of from the beginning of the Season was Nixon…his injury hurt Rose’s expectations for the team…though it was only after he got back that the team went into the worst February of the Rose era…just no accounting for taste…

By his own admission Rose loves Dastrup on offense…

Those refs will be around a long time because they are good refs. All of them reffed the NCAA last year including two of them the third weekend…

I know I know the conspiracy says they helped Gonzaga to the finals last year…but the NCAA isn’t into biased refs for their most important event.

I was going to ask you about your impression of TJ Haws last night?

I thought he did well as the floor general, getting the ball to the right player at the right time. No need to shoot much, but in a pinch doing what was needed to help keep the team going.

The sports talk people were complimenting just how well he did.