BYU's class of 22 is the bomb

It’s interesting how the sports media world has come together to support BYU on this. Maybe there is hope

When I said, Miami could, I want to make something clear here…We don’t know that Miami even had dialogue with BYU. No one has said Colo did as well. 2ndly, We are looking at things from a BYU point of view. These P5 teams do not spend a sec. thinking about BYU or what we want

I watched Kalani dance around the Wash So Media gaga. He was trying to say that we have a very good relationship with Wash and the P12 and we very much need them just like we need the MWC for future games, when he wanted to say that who ever leaked it to the media that BYU turned Wash. down, was doing it to hurt BYU’s cred…as in a jealous Ute would do.

I would think that only serious teams that had a chance at the playoffs would come looking for BYU. As it is, Miami is slated to play Florida in the Orange bowl.

I feel your pain. Alabama and N.D. both owe BYU games at our place. They will never honor them. As a Indy, BYU has to travel more then we want to. Grateful to USC for coming here to play. Most majors are not so honorable.

My gut is that BYU will find a way this year.

But they won’t be. Miami has been relatively irrelevant for some time now. Now that they put together a few wins they become part of the discussion. It’s nonsense.

Go back to your fiscal analysis. Not Miami-not anyone that is currently ahead of BYU in The CFP rankings is going to play BYU. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose and there is a ton of money involved. BYU could probably gain some kudos, by playing any of the next 5 teams behind them, but after that-nothing. So play a team like Nevada in Provo or SJSU in Provo and you get a game just to keep your team from going stale and knock an undefeated team down a notch. That is probably what your looking at right now. Now Oregon would probably like to play BYU now since the lost to OSU and lost credibility, but they would be required to play in Eugene by the P12 and that is utter BS. So it’s a difficult situation we find ourselves in. Forget the CFP-not going to happen, even if we had maintained our original schedule, it wouldn’t happen as some of those teams have not had a good year

well said, BYU with a 11-0 record is so much more impactful then a 9-0 team.

We need to stop hoping and quit acting like there is something wrong with BYU. With everything figured into the equation, we are as good an athletic program as 90% of the P5 teams. We don’t need anyone-we just need to win the games we play and quit acting subservient to “anyone” else and I believe we are starting to do that. If we get a January 2nd game great-go in and thump whoever it is we play, if we don’t -smack down whoever we play. What doesn’t help is having an 8-5 season and then lose to Hawaii in the bowl game.

1 Like

He’s not saying there is anything wrong with BYU. You do that.

No clue what you are talking about

Actually JCoug it does matter. NFL prospects and draftees, winning teams and exposure are exactly the recipe for getting a team recognized! That is exactly what BYU did from 1979 - 1987. High national rankings, lots of NFL players, tons of exposure and many coaches going onto head coaching jobs and into the NFL. So your theory, which is just your opinion with no facts to back it up is just that … opinion and wrong at that. College coaches, broadcasters, NFL teams and scouts recognize really good teams and programs.

You can complain about the biased CFP voters but BYU can solve the problem just like Clemson, Oregon, Texas A&M and BSU did over the last 10-15 years. Clemson used to be terrible, so was Oregon, A&M, and we know about BSU. In a way Utah also fits the profile of just winning and the respect will come. Except this year!

Your stmt that BYU could go undefeated for 3 consecutive years and they wouldn’t get into the CFP holds zero credibility. 3 undefeated years in a row would probably put them into
The CFP at least 2 years.

Agree. a ton!

I agree with winning teams to a point. Did it do much in the Bronco era? Not so much. There is bias. I think it still is a combination of things like geography, Independence and religious bias.

You sound really confident and I’m not sure what makes your OPINION any more credible than mine but again, that is your opinion. This is easy for you to say because you know it will not happen. Most of the time your comments are worthy of recognition because they make sense. Your opinions, as opposed to your analysis, don’t always ring sound with me. But I digress…

BYU will NEVER play for a national championship because they will never make a CFP pairing by being voted high enough in the CFP rankings. There is too much subjectivity, regardless of any perceived pressure you think might be present, on the part of those who make the decisions for it to happen. You may claim that is my OPINION and that it is not based in fact or even better that it is WRONG but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. BYU compared to Cincinnati this year is one. BYU thrashing a ranked Boise St. on their home field is another. The statistical numbers of the team this season, the passing of the eye test for anyone who has watched them play, the strong possibility that they might have a few first round draft picks… ALL things that you mentioned as needing to be done and all things that helped them to a #14 ranking…

Just the fact that this complete disrespect is obvious proves that it would be virtually impossible to gain enough respect over the course of several years doing the same thing. Let’s theorize that they do something similar next season. What ranking will they be given? 12 or maybe 10? Still locked out. So lets say they do it again a third year? Do they get a 10 or better ranking? Maybe, but only if there are P5 teams with more than one or two losses. Is that going to happen? No, and if it did, there would be other reasons given for why BYU didn’t make it into the top 6 CFP rankings by seasons end.

Those teams you mentioned like Clemson, Oregon, Texas A&M and even BSU… none of them are religious institutions so they can’t be compared to. You could use Notre Dame but they are a different animal altogether so irrelevant to this discussion. LSU is terrible this year but I guarantee you if they have 1 or even 2 losses (if it is to Alabama, Clemson, etc.) next year they will be in the CFP rankings and have the opportunity to play for a title.

Honestly the discussion is pointless and there is NO way you can prove my opinion is wrong until what you claim could happen actually does. I say it never will regardless, you say it will if certain things happen. I guarantee you we will never know.

Oh the irony of a statement like this immediately after telling me my comment “holds zero credibility”.

That was pretty funny. :laughing:

“. . . and there is NO way you can prove my opinion is wrong . . .” JCoug says about Thawk. Is the opposite true also? There is no way for you JCoug to prove (here and now) that Thawk’s opinion is wrong?

I’ve always wondered if Jcoug and Thawk is the same person. Maybe a split personality so he can fight with himself :slight_smile:

True, but what’s your point?

The “true . . .” is my only point.

When it comes to “opinions” I believe that mine is backed up with more evidence that supports it… as the specific situation affects BYU. You can bring in other teams as possible examples but those are not supported very well as they pertain to BYU specifically. None of those teams can sit side by side with BYU and be compared equally because BYU has no similar characteristics. They are not in a conference, P5 or G5 or whatever 5. They are a peculiar, religious school. They actually won a national championship that is STILL being talked about negatively, 35 years later. There are so many odds stacked against the possibility of BYU getting in to a CFP that it makes it virtually impossible. It is like a DNA match… the odds are 1 in 25 billion. :crazy_face:

Am I making my point? Time to take off the blue goggles on this one everybody… seriously.

OK, you got your OPINION and everyone else has theirs. Opinions are like farts in a stiff breeze, here one second and gone the next. Yours don’t smell any prettier or worse than anyone elses.

Ok JCoug what is your evidence that backs up the ridiculous statement you made that BYU can’t win a national championship IF they go undefeated?? Please present your evidence that isn’t your opinion. You can really believe your opinion but it doesn’t make it fact and it certainly isn’t supported by evidence.

There has been 2 times that BYU has finished their regular season undefeated. The first time they lost their bowl game. The second time they were voted national champions by the same coaches and media you say won’t ever put them into the CFP. So the only anecdotal evidence supports my contention and not yours. It isn’t fool proof but it is better than just jumping up and down spouting off opinions that such and such will NEVER happen …solely based on you thinking it will won’t happen. The little bit of evidence is in my favor not yours.

Cincy isn’t an example that supports you either. Cincy has played a more difficult schedule than BYU this year. They went 11-2 each of the last 2 years. BYU hasn’t. Cincy beat Houston worse than BYU did. Cincy will play a ranked Tulsa once or twice before the season is done. Cincy deserves their spot ahead of BYU. So your argument in that regards is also flawed. Cincy will play a higher SOS and at least as many ranked opponents if not more. BYU isn’t being kept out of the NY6 bowls …which it might get into anyway … because of religious bias. They are being kept out because of schedule weakness. LSU won the Nat Championship with the most dominating season in history. If they come back next year they will probably be a CFP team because they have credibility and recent performance. BYU hasn’t! BYU can use this season to start the process for next year. But I am not convinced that BYU is going to get left out. I think Cincy will get beat. Iowa St probably gets beat too.