Childs, if you are reading our posts

Thanks for nothing…

You’re welcome. Gracias.

Hopper: Elgin Baylor played 48 minutes a game while smoking 2-3 packs a day.
Dew: I am surprise he still alive according to wiki. Was he smoking during the game too?

Hopper: Chamberlain benched 350 lbs and high jumped 6’8”.
Dew: I thought he could do more than 350 lls for his frame. One time I do remember seeing he did jump that high. 1976 I was at SF Embarcadero Hotel and saw Wilt Chamberlain coming down the escalator and wow, he was a giant. Did you know Gavin Baxter can do 40-inch vertical leap? Did you read that article that Floyd provide you? Great story and Gavin could compete in the Summer Olympic with his speed in track and field according to his AAU Coach.

Hopper: Jabbar could one punch Happy Harrison out.
dew: He didn’t do that to Greg Kite in NBA between Lakers vs Celtics

Hopper: Coach Wooden said his players … weight room.
dew: Agree

Hopper: Until he found Sidney…weight room.
dew: nonsense stuff which was back then. So what.

Dew: today nba is a lot different than it was some 50 years ago. Today players know better not to smoke - “you think.”

I don’t know what year that the NCAA began to allow athletes play for four years in varsity competition. But I do know that in the sixties and for some years after that decade athletes had to play on freshman teams befor haveing three years eligibility to play on varsity teams. Best example that I know is that Lew Alcinder (Kareem Abdul Jabar) had to play on the UCLA Freshman team, which UCLA fans called the frosh basketball team “the Bru Babes” and with Alcinder on the Frosh team for UCLA they packed Pauley Pavillion to watch the “Bru Baes” play in the preliminary game before the UCLA varsity played after them on game night. We used to go see the BYU Freshman team play as the prelim to BYU varsity games in the 1960’s.

Bill Walton played on the JV team at UCLA his freshman year. So did Vance Law at BYU who decided to focus on baseball. Vance was at my baptism in 1977 in BYU 1st Ward.
The answer to your question was Marques Johnson, UCLA, started as the first freshman to break through for the 1973-1974 season. I was a big UCLA fan back then.

A lot of this has to do with the Agent he is linked up with. my source says he’s crooked and probably got into Child’s ear about what he can do to get him the $$.

all good points. When we talk about Rose needing to retire, as I have plenty…I also know Rose was faced with 2 tough problems. One, playing in the small gyms of the WCC is a HARD thing to recruit to and Two, we would not be talking much if Mika, Bry and Childs were playing here this past year, we would be talking about how far they got into the big dance.

Mark Few doesn’t seem to have any trouble doing the same…

I would love to believe this but I am not willing to state the same. It’s too easy to talk about what could have been and not really knowing that is the case. I have seen plenty of evidence over the past several years to be more comfortable saying that BYU might be better but I cannot, in good conscience, state that they would have made it anywhere in the ncaa tournament.

for the same reason that Nortre Dame does not have a problem with recruiting even when they are not very good… The school is Catholic…

So BYU should become Catholic and we will start recruiting better? :upside_down_face:

Jim is right. Other schools can seem to do it. But like Notre Dame, we aren’t going to recruit like Duke or Kentucky. What we need is a good recruiting coach but also a “Few” like coaching mind.

No, not really… We just need to do a better job outside the State of Utah recruiting…

I also believe we need to redesign how BYU plays basketball, fit the scheme with the talent…

I’ve never liked the offense we run. The outside weave is pointless and just gets players tired quicker. Run more complicated motion and down screens. We are supposed to have more intelligent players with the admission standards. Make them do more.

Notre Dame lives on its past history in football. They have a good football program, but in the past couple of NCAA playoffs they have gone down the drain quite quickly. I can’t remember when their men’s basketball program was in the final four. In Women’s basketball the #1 seeds usually get a two game home court advantage in the first two rounds and usually play pretty close to home for the final four like Notre Dame did this year in Chicago a 100 miles from ND’s home town.Women’s basketball I think does this home court thing to draw more fans, a la Baylor, Notre Dame, Miss. State and Stanford.

I have been paying a lot of attention to this year’s team. They are certainly dance worthy as far as the eye test goes. They will have an up hill battle with Child’s suspension because byu is not the same team without Childs. Those first 9 games can make or break our dance chances but I believe that the selection committee will take into account the travesty of what the NCAA did to screw BYU over.

This team has all the components of a team that can called a Cinderella team. A mid major that is senior rich tend to win the higher seeded blue blood games laden with one and done talent.