Coaching changes a problem…

Wow BobH… I think the moderators may have to start looking at your posts more closely. :joy:

Good—and BYU can ask Utah to interview their outstanding DC!

I’m sure there are many who go just after the money. But there are others who seek opportunities to fulfill their destinations as well. There’s nothing wrong with being the best. Just ask the lady Cougars soccer team. I’m just one who doesn’t judge someone by their success and if that includes wealth. I’d rather judge their character whether wealthy, successful, or poor and unsuccessful. Things seem to be so black and white for you.

LOL! Irony at it’s best!

It’s like every time you say rich bad poor good. Want money, bad. Want poverty, good. That’s pretty black and white…

As a fellow Oregonian, I don’t think Oregon is a good fit for Sitake, or Washington for that matter, and I don’t think he will be offered and if he was, and accepted either position I don’t see him being successful at either program. Nothing against Kalani, but his success will be based on who his OC and DC’s are. Chris Peterson was a great hire for Washington, but something whispers in my ear, that he didn’t really love his stay there. He would be a great hire for Oregon, if they could coax him out of retirement, but again, not sure he would go. Sitake is a good fit at BYU, and I hope he realizes that BYU is a good fit for him. If I was BYU, I would pay the assistants more, get a new DC and head into the Big 12 with my coaches intact

Burton: doesn’t matter how much BYU would pay another DC, because Kalani is ride-or-die with Tuiaki, and I’m not exaggerating. My hope is that Tuiaki would get a HC job at an FCS school and we can then go get a DC whose game plan doesn’t bore me into submission. Win or lose, Tuiaki simply makes BYU football almost unwatchable at times. Allgeier could have led the country in rushing and TDs and been a first team AA if we were not dominated in TOP. Puka could be on Sportscenter every week. Hall could have gotten over 200 additional snaps–the equivalent of three full games–etc. None of that happened for one reason: we didn’t have the ball enough. And that happened for one reason: it was by design. I don’t think Sitake actually WANTS the other team to have the ball, but he has a FORMAL DEFENSIVE GAME PLAN that concedes plays and TOP, and he knows it. So it’s by design. Our staff is perfectly fine with the other team driving 70 yards in 13 plays and 5 minutes of game time as long as it ends with a missed FG. Some say “that’s a successful possession for the D because they didn’t allow points.” I say “you just ruined another 20 minutes of my life because I watch for fun and that definitely was NOT fun to watch.” I sat in the stands watching South Florida, a HORRIBLE, TERRILBE AWFUL football team drive 19 plays against BYU–before almost all the injuries. I was simply embarrassed for my school and for all the guys who have played there in the past. Half way through the season we LED THE COUNTRY in most 10+ plays conceded (I haven’t checked since then because it’s too depressing, but we probably haven’t improved).

Wow, that vent felt good!!!

On your other point, I seriously seriously doubt UofO would hire a vocal, devout Christian as the HC. There would be big-time drama and pushback from professors, admin, fans, etc. and yes I think Kalani would hate it. You hit the nail on the head.

The only place that Sitake could get away with having Tuiaki hanging on his coattails is probably BYU. I like Kalani as the head coach. He probably comes closer to Edwards as any coach since LaVell retired. He is a players coach, but Edwards was all about getting the best innovative assistant coaches he could find. I’m not going to do a Tuiaki bashing, but like you said, it’s tough to watch. I read an article saying that Oregon was looking at Harsin as a possibility as he is under the gun at Auburn. That would be another mistake in my opinion. Oregon needs to be real careful when they make this decision. They looked really inept the two games against Utah, and frankly, a little boring

My law partner is a UofO grad and solid Duck fan who understands the game. He thinks word may have been out a month ago that the U was courting Cristobal, the guys knew it, and they basically mailed it in the last few games. Against Utah the Ducks absolutely looked like a team that had quit. Twice. They even gave up 30 to the Beavers in between the Utah shallackings. It’s tough for the Ducks (and I’m generally a fan) because they have unlimited resources and that creates unlimited expectations. After Chip Kelly, Mark Helfrich is widely viewed as a huge failure–but all he did was go 37-16 in 4 years and make it to the NC game. Then they hired Willie Taggart, one of the worst coaches in America, but definitely one of the greatest charlatans and negotiators in US History (after three BAD years and ONE good year at South Florida, the Ducks guaranteed Taggart $16m. Taggart coached one year at UofO and quit to go to FSU. He worked at FSU less than two years, got fired, and made over $20m. Willie Taggart may suck as a coach, but he fleeced two big schools with supposedly smart negotiators, and he did them dirty). The Ducks have now been burned three times in a row and the pressure on the new guy will be immense. I don’t see them going with Kalani.

If I could make the pick it would be Kellen Moore, OC of Dallas or Dave Aranda HC of Baylor, providing either were interested. I wouldn’t go back to Chip Kelly. Oregon should be a premier choice for coaching. Aranda could bring his OC. Whom we are all aware of😉

Heard on the news tonight that Lane Kiffin might be in the mix for Oregon.

Sitake isn’t going anywhere. He is posturing to get his coaches more money. He has been promised more competitive funds when the B12 full membership benefits are in play. Sitake knows that he wouldn’t last with the expectations at UW and Oregon and while he could grab more money over the next 5 years he would likely be regulated to a much smaller paycheck and less prestige in year 6-10. He has weaknesses as a coach that would require him to leave certain assistant coaches behind or get them fired at a big program and he knows that.

1 Like

very good point. He has said as much in private.

Amen

heard from a source that Kellen Moore is LDS. Wouldn’t it be great to see him back at BSU. The rivalry games between BYU and BSU would be epich.

My take as well

Moore is LDS and he elected to make it a point with BSU that he was going to remain as OC for Dallas. However Oregon is a much higher paying level than BSU and much easier recruiting ground, so I guess it depends which level he wants to coach at-college or the NFL-one day he will have that opportunity-he is that well thought of. Kiffin ? Well he has certainly been around the block, but if I was Oregon, it would be nice to have a coach that hung around at least 5 years

Spot on-Sitake isn’t going anywhere and he will make more money in the long run at BYU. You go somewhere else for a bigger paycheck and probably get fired in two years, you may have a hard time finding a good job😉

My little brother lives in Dallas. He sent me a photo of Kyle Collinsworth, who was playing for the Mavs at the time, and Kellen Moore at Moore’s baptism. My brother and his boys have met both of those guys at firesides down there. Says Moore is a 10 out of 10 on the character scale. One of my son’s very best friends succeeded Kellen as QB at BSU and had also told me that Kellen is as smart and great a person as you will ever meet.

He has been making some curious play calls at Dallas lately. I am not a Cowboys fan at all but they look confused and without an identity on offense. Not saying it is Moore’s issue but that is where everyone will lay the blame, regardless of how the players perform.

Could be. I haven’t followed the Cowboys at all, but my fantasy football playing friends with Cowboys have seemed none too happy in general about “America’s Team” (cue laugh track).