Conover entering the portal

We understand each other perfectly. BY the way, good to hang out again. brotha

Funny how fans can turn on a coach or a policy so quickly. I have been solidly behind Sitake all along, thinking that Holmoe will nudge him from time to time on big issues but lately Im feeling like the welcome matt for Sitake is over or needs to be overhauled. I wrote this seconds ago on another theard.

"And now ya know the rest of the story, In my book, the polarization of BYU football in a Poly way works both ways.

1 Polys play big roles in any program, USC, Utah even Alabama.

2 How many good LDS or Christian players that are not Poly choose to look elsewhere if BYU is so polarized? That is the point.

The Conover transfer to me infers several things. A Coach who does not think forward but in the moment. Forward thinkers see a big picture and far down the road. Not playing your backup with games are out of reach is so dumb I won’t even waste words.

Leads me to this DC search. Why in the hell would you fire your existing DC before you have the new guy locked down??? Why would you not get the new DC in place BEFORE the Transfer portal opens up?"
BYU coach Kalani Sitake is balancing bowl prep, recruiting, and a staff in limbo (msn.com)

This is a direct quote from Kalani talking about the “new” backup QB’s:

“They have had some really good coaches. I like the way (offensive coordinator Aaron Roderick) coaches them, with (offensive analyst) Matt Mitchell. They will be ready if we need (them). Hopefully we can get Jaren through this and get him on the field.”

BYU football: Is Kalani Sitake close to naming a defensive coordinator? - Deseret News

You might want to read the rest of the article; it is very enlightening.

I still like Kalani as a coach, the issue I have with him is that he is blinded by friendship when it comes to his assistants. He fails time and time again on how good of a job his coaches are actually doing.

BYU defense was ranked #14 in team defense in 2016 and 7 years later, the team defense for BYU was ranked 100th.

This is not about a point in time, but a trend that started back in 2016 and has slowly been worse year after year.
Here are the stats according to the NCAA:
2016 Team defense ranked 14
2017 Team defense ranked 46th
2018 Team defense ranked 24th
2019 Team defense ranked 48th
2020 Team defense ranked 4th (Covid year - Not many teams were playing)
2021 Team defense ranked 52nd
2022 Team defense ranked 100th
2022 Team Defense | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

You can look at different years on this site.

What do you think of players entering the portal before their bowl game? To me, that’s wrong. Okay out the entire season then transfer.
Did you know that there are 63 quarterbacks currently in the transfer portal?

Why? because the Portal opens on December 5th.

For whatever crazy reason the NCAA thought it was a good time to open portal, I am assuming because it is after the season is over and before the bowl games starts.

But who knows what creeps in the minds of the NCAA brass these days?

Now with the 63 QB’s in the Portal:
Break them down into the following groups:
A. 4 star or above players coming from High School
B. Was replaced as a starter during the season by someone else
C. Are 5th year players - meaning they are going after their masters.
D. Played seldomly during the season.

There are quite a lot of excellent QBs in the portal. The QB from North Carolina who is projected to be a 1st round draft in next years NFL draft. Again, the star rating is questionable as we see time after time great BYU QBs start out as 3 star QBs. Zac Wilson and Hall. Hall was playing baseball. Many QBs come from small schools that don’t get the great competition and training to be 4 or 5 stars.

Ya, I think the bowl games are part of the season. There’s nothing wrong having the portal open on January 5th.

Only if you “qualify” to be in a bowl (must have at least 6 wins). Another stupid rule from the NCAA.

Why? Why have teams with losing seasons? I’d go for 8 wins and fewer bowls.

I agree, but apparently there are so many bowl games that they had to lower the standards.

I think the reason the portal opens on 12/5 is because the signing period is Dec 21-23 or something like that. I think this helps the HS kids because when they sign they can consider whether their school of choice just signed one or more guys to push them farther down the depth chart.

Good point never considered that before.

Well, if it makes you feel better Utah is losing their highest ranked High school player Ethan Calvert (Linebacker) who was a 4-star out of Oaks Christian High in California.

Utah football: Ethan Calvert is reportedly entering transfer portal - Deseret News

I don’t actively root against Utah–in fact, I loved that they slaughtered cocky SC with their cocky coach and cocky QB. Now, I didn’t care enough to watch a single play of the game, but I was happy Utah won.

I have never lived in Utah except when I was at BYU, but it seems (just from articles and comments) that the Utah fans REALLY REALLY hate BYU. Almost like a visceral thing. Here in Oregon the Ducks and Beavers take good natured cracks at each other, but it’s not mean or negative. It makes me really glad that as a BYU grad I don’t live in Utah.

I dislike the utes for three main reasons:

1. (most minor reason) My car was keyed at the game 20 years ago.

2. They’re fans are some of the most annoying on social media.

3. We compete against the utes for some very important recruits.

You have to under stand that Utah fans know the boys and girls at BYU are very good looking while they know they all resemble the annual UofU homecoming queen. So, it’s imperative to understand the difference between her and a buzzard. One has a long scraggly bumpy neck while the other picks at dead carcasses by the side of the roads. :rofl: Now you know why. Hope that helps!