Could Not Be More Disappointed in BYU Basketball Then Tonight

Taylor backhanded Emery before the punch, that was clear. However, it didn’t seem as blatant or calculated as Emery’s punch. I wonder, though, what Taylor was doing the rest of the game. I couldn’t watch it, and only heard the last 5 minutes on radio and saw the replays of the punch.

The officiating of the game was certainly in favor of Utah. Kaufuhe deserved maybe one call but that certainly added to Emery’s frustration
Emery is a star. Now he needs to start acting like it

This is what happens when you play really low level competition. Byu certainly wasn’t ready for prime time. They have the athletes to compete

Kc tried to do way too much. He should know better he’s a senior. Rose should make the players watch golden state warriors games

Vern(not elizabeth) Yes Taylor struck first. Man Emery has fast hands, he didn’t have time to analize the situation.

Really? What was his hand doing up there? There was no reason for that but to hit Emery. That doesn’t give Emery the right to retaliate that way. There must have been words before the incident.

There must have been words before that. Emery’s reaction was more instinctive. Why is no one talking about Taylor’s hit?

I agree his hand had no business in Emery’s face, but it wasn’t balled up in a fist either. It could be interpreted as a push rather than a punch. Pushes happen all the time and don’t warrant a punch back. I agree that something else had probably been happening in the game that led to the punch.

A push in the face is okay? Watch it again in full speed. Have you ever been backhanded? A strike is a strike backhanded or full fist. Emery should have kept his cool. But, words must have been said prior to the incident.

I didn’t see the game and still could not find a piece (video) of Taylor did his back hand smacking at Nick. And that fake fall to the ground look really odd.

I don’t know we should never play utards (mostly fans and medias) in all sports. Just sick of them! Not because of the lost last night but all the hype from outsiders. Rivalry is dead and we need to move on. And if we do get invited to Pac 12+2, here we go again.

It’s in links on the home page of cougarfan.com

I’m going to reverse myself a bit here. As I’ve looked at this over and over, Taylor’s initial hit appears to be a backward slap, and there is no video evidence of a fist from Emery–more of a reverse chop to the solar plexus–a quick response to the slap. The fact that Taylor holds his head afterward is proof of deceit. Reprehensible.

Have you seen Emery’s neck? Not saying it was justified but I think that someone was trying to provoke a reaction, got one and then made sure it got overblown.

One game suspension. Emery apologized. Moving on.

Okay - I’m a troll. Don’t have a problem with that and have no intention of hitting you with a sucker punch even though we don’t agree. (By the way, I’m not always negative. Just after the last game I clearly stated that the second half of the Belmont game was the best we have played in a while - because it was true).

If telling it like you see it makes one a troll, I’m the guy. If being a fan of BYU sports means I have to put on rose colored glasses, I’m not that guy. When we perform at a really low level, and even below the talent we have, I do get upset and call it out. I thought the first half last night was one of those special occasions and Emery’s punch, regardless of what they guy said to him, that he scratched up his neck, or whatever, you can’t throw that punch. And I don’t think it was in reaction to the hand in the face. Emery was already getting himself in position to throw his punch as that face slap occurs. Emery was retaliating for something earlier and just made a very horrible decision to throw a punch and you just can’t do that. If you must, get the ball in your hands and go right at the guy and run over the top of him, or swing your elbow a bit out on a rebound or cut - just to let the guy know you’ve had enough. It’ll get you a foul call and some local boos but no ejection (don’t be flagrant and no after game excessive press). Just not a smart move on Emery’s part, whether deserved or not. I hope I never see it again from any BYU player in any sport. All that was missing was for Emery to jump on him after the punch and continue the fight. If you want to defend it in any way, I’m fine with that. I won’t because to me it is not defensible - not in any way, shape or form.

As far as the play went last night and so far this year, we are lacking big time and it is quite apparent by looking at the frustration on Rose’s face that he is hugely disappointed with what’s going on on the court. Fisher and Emery have such poor foot movement on defense and play so poorly on defense from a position and movement standpoint that any decent ball handler - whether guard or forward - can literally pass by them without any meaningful deterrence. It makes the other guys, who have to shift to help, extremely vulnerable to inside passes and easy shots, which happened over and over last night. Kafusi also played very poorly, committing really poor frustration fouls while being taken to the woodshed by different Utah guys and he just never help his position well. Pardon the expression, but he played without any discernible basketball savvy last night.

Collinsworth likewise made to many really dumb mistakes and ended up riding the bench to much because of it. Going over the back of a 6’10" guy with clear rebounding position is just not going to be missed by any ref and he should know that - so why do it. Austin shooting 20 footers was painful to watch and left me stunned with that “why” look on my face.

The first ten minutes of the second half BYU played actually quite well. Well, in my book, if you can play well like that in spurts of 10 minutes (and not just because some balls went in, it was all around better), then why 20 minutes of first half stinkerroo? Too much casual play in that first half and it ticks me off as it’s not a talent thing but an effort thing. If you’re going to play, get out there and give it what you got and get a rest when needed. I can’t stand lackluster play and that’s what we got in the first half yesterday and I’m pretty sure Rose gave them an earful at halftime. You just can’t play like that in this type of a game. Play smart, play tuff, and play hard and let the chips fall where they may after that. That didn’t happen in the first half last night, not any of it.

So yea, I rag on some guys but I’ll also praise them when the effort is there. So if that makes me a troll, I’m okay with it and will continue to call it as I see it.

I agree John. Looking at the play in slowmo, it’s very apparent that Nick was gearing up for that punch even before the slap in the face. Taylor is likely one of those guys who runs his mouth the entire game, brushes against you when not necessary, gives you a shove when the ball’s on the other side of the court and on and on. Only good way to take care of that type of guy on the court is to stick it in his face, bury some shots, and on the way back just casually mention to him something like “nice, hey, didn’t you love that” as you brush past him close enough to not get a foul but to let him know where you’re at. Those kind of guys wilt when you show them up and generally their game goes down a notch in the process.

He wasn’t even looking at Taylor. No, he wasn’t gearing up to punch anyone. But, nice punch to the gut anyway. Taylor is lying about everything.