Dave Rose to step down

Typical extremist conservative response…

Can you show me one “doctrinal” source that says the Lord set the standards of BYU? I can show where they have an admission policy, nothing doctrinal… Sorry dude.

LOL!!! BYU has always been an elite school.

Are you saying BYU doesn’t meet the standards of the Church (Lord)? I see people saying it goes above and beyond. And, if you are thinking I’m going to be embarrassed about being conservative and defend the kingdom of God in the earth you haven’t been paying attention.

The only standards that the Lord has doctrinally set is what it takes for a person to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and what it takes to go to the Temple to receive their personal ordinances.

Sorry BYU standards for Academics and HC, are not based on doctrinal mandate.

Is there anything in the Temple Recommend interview that would not be covered in the HC? I would also challenge you that being honest in all your dealings with your fellow man is also what the HC and your efforts with academics is about too.

Haha you guys are cracking me up. Floyd, in support of your fair comments and to in part defend your honor, I checked the fastest players currently in major league baseball. Baseball VERY carefully tracks this stuff now, and does it better than any other sport. Of the fastest 28 guys in baseball, 14 are white and 14 are black. So I think when you say “fast athletes” or whatever, you simply mean guys who are fast, regardless of color or race or anything else.

How about it football or basketball? Why did you pick baseball?

1. It has to be Mark Pope.
  2. It’s gotta be Mark Pope.
  3. It better be Mark Pope.

ALL the players love Pope. The staff love him. He is personable and outgoing. Recruits love him. He is incredibly smart. He is regarded as a master at coaching big men. As an assistant at BYU he was very connected to the academic performance of the players and the kids responded and succeeded (I know this for a fact, period). When players do well in class, they enjoy BYU more. Pope is a HOT coaching commodity. He has turned down (yes, I know, and NO, I won’t say which highly reliable person told me) several attractive jobs in the last few years. He may well consider it a downgrade to coach in the WCC. UVU has improved every year he has been there. This year he took a motley crew of castoffs (12 transfers!!!) and won 25 games. People inside BYU basketball consider him the best recruiter and big man coach they have ever seen at BYU. Our biggest problem is that Pope is maybe one more good season away from BYU losing him FOREVER. Because if he wins 25 again next year–or heaven forbid make the Big Dance–he will jump to a better program than BYU and never look back.

Holmoe better hire him now, or never.

He already has other schools wanting him. I think he would be the best choice. But, does he want to come back to BYU knowing the players might bolt after 3 years or cry about playing time. Our players are crybabies about this issue.

And, again, why did you choose baseball? The records found on line aren’t who runs the fastest 40 yard dash. It’s based on quickness to the ball or a stolen base. Football is all about the 40 yard dash. All black athletes in the NFL.

Better question: is there anything in the HC that is not covered in the Temple interview… I can go to the temple and be sealed to my wife, but I could not go to BYU because I refused to shave and cut my hair and I drank Diet Coke.

Hmmmmm…

The fastest guy in my high school was a little 5’2" latino… The kid could flat out run. He was the anchor on so many track events.

The funny part is his reason for being able to run so fast “I learned how to run fast, by running from the cops” Anyone that knew the kid knows he was just having fun. The kid had a 4.0 GP and one of the nicest guys on the team… Although I did think he explanation was funny.

Um Scott…Tom said “Baseball VERY carefully tracks this stuff now, and does it better than any other sport.”

You think that might the reason he picked Baseball? Duh!

I picked baseball in large part because now with Statcast they can measure “sprint speed per second.” That is a great indicator for speed and quickness in small areas. In hoops we don’t need the fastest guys in a 40, rather the fastest guys in shorter bursts. I follow MLB closely and am totally impressed with the way they are using technology to better evaluate players and reward based on merit.

So? That has nothing to do with it. You still have to live according to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel. Even as a
Non-member at BYU. I entered BYU as a non-member and agreed to live all the laws of the gospel which were basically what it takes to get a temple recommend. The other stuff is what BYU asks for which if you are living all the recommend questions would include the other stuff you agree to. That’s covered under the question “are you honest in your dealings?” You committed to wear your hair, clothes in accordance to the rules of BYU. There really isn’t more. It’s just your perception.

It doesn’t do any good to respond to ineptness. BYU is a different culture and thing will change and are continuing to change periodically. I don’t have to pay tithing to go to BYU, but I do for a TR. Who would have thought they would install coke machines all over campus-guess it wasn’t the caffeine after all. The HC wil change also in time, to provide needed assistance instead of being so punative in nature. BYU is a great institution that will continue to evolve for the better. The ancient Jews failed miserably by being so concerned about the letter of the law they lost track of the spirit of the law. Your stories are great and very relatable. I remember plenty of hours cleaning up for forgetting to shave for a few days or hair being to long😁

So, I don’t remember the Lord saying to get rid of His laws and commandments. In fact, he gave us new ones.
You mentioned that Tithing is not in the HC. If it was, it would be harder to get into BYU and stay in the school. You proved my point that it’s not as difficult as the requirements to go to the Temple.

No your point wasn’t proven. You take one facet and try to make your whole case with it. It’s what you do with most things, but I have no doubt that you are basically a good person you just get way laid like so much of Israel did by the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law. Read the New Testament again and see how many times Christ had to correct the letter with the spirit. I couldn’t get in to BYU with a beard or longer hair, though many of the prophets wore longer hair and beards, yet I have no problem having a temple recommend. Things are changing in the church, whether you want them to or not. Like I said before-coke machines all over campus with that terrible caffeine. Read the history of the word of wisdom in the church-very enlightening-Brigham Young championed the WOW as he was a health champion, yet other Presidents of the church continued drinking tea and coffee long after President Young passed on until Joseph F Smith. I say this as a person that never drank coffee and doesn’t hardly ever use caffeine. The WHO has come out and officially state that hot drinks of any kind over a certain temp can lead to esophageal cancer. I guess Joseph Smith was a pretty sharp prophet. All this is to point out as we grow and progress, further light and knowledge become available and it becomes us not to be resistant to change or so set in our stubbornness

Extreme cold drinks also can damage the esophagus. I’ve always been suspect about the caffeine issue since Hot Chocolate wasn’t cast as a sin. And sodas weren’t sinful either. Now, obviously it’s not a good thing to drink too much caffeinated drinks for other health issues.

Don’t you mean the St. Zaga Conference?

I just think Hopper has a problem reading post correctly… Like when he asked you why you choose baseball as the sport, even though you mentioned that they track speed of players better than any other sport.

On another note, Dave Rose came on the Radio Friday here in SLC. I love it when I what I post comes out as factual.

In the interview, Dave said one of the reasons he decided to step down was because he became disinterested, no energy, etc…towards coaching… He stated this is because of the cancer battle he had and that he has to have a check up every 6 months to verify he is in remission.

I mentioned earlier that I thought that Dave had lost his edge in coaching since his battle with cancer.

Floyd: Good post. I too believe that Rose has lost his mojo and is a good guy who needs to retire. He needs a rest. I thought that his retirement press conference was a class act. I look forward to following the hiring process for the new HC for BYU Men’s basketball.