Disappointing Is An Understatement

Then maybe Dave Rose should lure Shumway to play BBall. I know Shumway said that he is more focus in FBall.

Bingo, Frampton plays D, a swear word to the Haws family

Seljass will play next season Rose has announced

What, Zac didn’t transfer to Duke?
I know, it sounds dumb when you said Mika will graduate this year and transfer to Duke. And how many more 4 or 5 star Mormon players going to Duke in the near future? Grumble :tired_face:

I was listening to the Rose interview on BYU Sports Nation. At one point Rose began raising his voice about fans coming down on the players this year. “If they want to take it out on someone, take it out on me” he said. Apparently, the players got hammered on social media quite a bit this year. Rose went on to say this was a very young team that got a lot of experience this year and will be better next year. He put on a positive spin on Mika testing the NBA and said college bball is much different than in the Ainge era. Players used to look beyond high school ball and aspire to play college ball. Now they look beyond college ball to play in the NBA or overseas.

I had a couple reactions to his interview. First, his rant against the fans reminded me of the time Bronco got miffed at fans for booing from the stands. I know fans can be obnoxious but I don’t think it is ever appropriate for a coach to call-out the fans. Coaches need to take the bad with the good. There were a ton of fans at the Provo airport at 2am to welcome the team after the Gonzaga win. This is a part of the sport. Avid fans care about the sport and they will complain when disappointed and cheer when things go right. When you start thinking fans aren’t fans unless they only cheer, even when the team under performs, well, then its time to reserve all the tickets for the players’ family and relatives. By now, these players know how to handle fans from both the opposition and home teams.

I do agree that Rose needs to take responsibility for the team this year. The fans were frustrated more by the poor defense than anything else and that reflects on the coaching and the type of players they recruit. The team being so young is also a reflection on the coaching. Maybe they should have tapped the JUCO pool to get more experienced players. I do give the coaches a pass on the injury bug. Still, injuries are a part of the game so they need to recruit enough depth to deal with that. Anyway, let’s see how Rose fairs next year. If Mika leaves, I don’t see this team doing any better than 3rd in the WCC and another NIT bid. I hope this doesn’t come across as too negative about Dave Rose. I genuinely like him and think he is a good person. I just thought his rant was out order.

Glenn. My thoughts exactly. Why don’t we just cottle all this millennial generation and tell them how great they are and that they will never ever have to deal with criticism their entire life and they get trophies just for participating.
Last I checked fans have the right to say whatever they want. They pay the money they can cheer on their team or they can gripe about their team but it is their right and it was is never a good idea for a head coach to go after the fans.
I’m sure Haws and Co get tired of hearing about how they play no defense. Maybe they will work on it in the summer

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-unsung-secret-to-gonzagas-success-is-something-nobody-really-wants-152315953.html

This is a shining example of a coaching staff that does their homework and thoroughly plans for the development of all their players. Rarely do they “miss” on a player and even more rare is the transfer out headed for greener pastures. Maybe instead of complaining about the BYU fans, Coach Rose ought to complain to the players who are continuously making the same mistakes (including lack of effort). Either Rose isn’t complaining to his players … which is a coaching issue … or he isn’t teaching them the basics … another coaching issue … or he is complaining to the players and they simply won’t listen to him because they don’t respect him and know that he won’t bench them. All possibilities are coaching related. I would suggest that a Blue and White scrimmage should not be held next year. All it does is allow the fans to see where there might be potential talent to be developed, which does no good in the long run for fan support and team chemistry when very little, to no development is attempted with meaningful court time. I am hoping against hope that Cory Calvert and Jake Toolson have no impact at UVU next season … Chatman doesn’t progress at BC and Issac Nielson goes backward in his development. Maybe Frank Bartley will graduate early and not play ball next year either. I also hope that we don’t get any more transfers out of the program except for Haws. Actually, I like Haws and think he could be a good member of the team, but Rose doesn’t seem capable of teaching/coaching or reeling in Haws from some of his terrible habits. For that reason, the love affair with Haws needs to end. Worthington does need to be allowed to go play football…it would help both programs.

Hey, the White (that is his name) kid is a returned missionary and a key member of the North Carolina squad still playing for a national championship. Starting point guard … how we could use one of those! We may yet have a RM NCAA national champion in basketball!! Did you know the back story on him and wanting to come to BYU? Not good enough to be recruited. Spots were going to be full… probably with legacy players.

Rose complaining about social media and the poor players being called out … it appears that he isn’t visiting social media that much … if he had, he would see that most of the complaining is about him.

Amen!! Please forward the link to Dave Rose and his staff.

whose love affair?
Rose’s?
The conference coaches who voted him all conference as a freshman fresh off his mission?
The fan’s who’ve been riding him on this board and others for much of the year?

NC had a player drop out of the recruiting class last minute. The White kid filled in before his mission, NC committed to him that he would have a scholarship when he got back…which they honored.
He played some heavy time in the NCAA tourney before his mission because NC was so short on guards at the time.

Last time I looked, it wasn’t the fans determining playing time. If you thought Haws was really first team all WCC material, you are part of the problem. He wasn’t. Except for Few, coaches love having TJ defend their guys. Keep voting for him if your fans of other teams in conference. Yes, Roses love affair.

I know, it is the wide net of NC that is able to find an LDS kid in CA and get him to come to NC while BYU didn’t think he is good enough to play in Provo. Just a fluke. The recruiting process is so local maybe it would meet others if it weren’t?

Stilman White is not from CA. He was from Wilmington NC. I read a story about him that he wanted to play UNC and want to go on a mission. He was thinking about coming to Utah to play but didn’t say where if he didn’t get offer to NC. He went to Ogden UT mission. He also mentioned during recruiting time. Roy William wasn’t sure he was going to offer him scholarship, if I remember.

I didn’t say anything about my being a fan of his or not.
The fans I mentioned were not the ones who liked him but the BYU fans who didn’t.
Other than of course the WCC coaches.
It strikes me that BYU fans are much like the New Mexico fans a couple of years ago. Their coach played his son. The fans didn’t like it. The son decided to leave. Other programs lined up to recruit him–including BYU…Fans frequently don’t see things the way opposing coaches do…apparently the case in TJ’s situation.

He is from CA. Watched him play there until his jr year. Played in ,NC as a senior and Jr. From Orange Co CA. I think he was born there or he grew up there.

Seriously Harold, if you think that Haws was a legit first team WCC player, please tell me which GU guard he is better than? Please do the same for St Mary’s. Actually there are several guards on the other teams who are better than Haws also. He is the worst defender of any guard in the league and that is really hard to do/be. He is at the bottom of the league in point guards assist to TO ratio. But he does make up for giving away 20 points a game by scoring 15 most nights … But really his offense is horribly inconsistent…29 against GU and then 2 against StM… Story of his year. He is a 2 guard, not a point guard, that was another Rose decision which compounded TJ’s problems.

I was completely surprised that TJ was WCC first team.
You clearly put yourself in the category of “fans” I mentioned. One of those who doesn’t value him as much as the opposing coaches or as Rose.
I just don’t think he’s as bad as you think or as good as the WCC coaches think.
The story of his year was the story of the team. Horribly inconsistent.

IT was the worst team of the Rose era. Youngest team of the Rose era. Apparently “the most talented.” but since Davies and Hartsock left there hasn’t been anyone tough enough to take the team and lead it…Rose’s failure undoubtedly…yet even just his WCC years are better than the average Division 1 coach and better than the average BYU coach…what will he change to change things up? not sure…given the youth and inconsistency of the team he may well just decide that incremental improvements that come with constant effort over time will get him and the team back to his and his team’s normal NCAA one and done results.

I agree with this last post of yours. Should TJ have been recruited? I think so. Not mad about that. Is he worth keeping? I think so. The biggest issue with him and some others on the team is that from beginning to end there may have been negative improvement this year. Bad habits are now fully ingrained. It will be very hard to retrain him. This year may be Haws undoing. . Its unfathunable that Rose allowed some members of the team to go basically unchecked the whole year… I really was disappointed that it was so obvious that there was no way that BYU was an NCAA tourny team that at the half way point in the season we didn’t just start developing the entire bench. If we had lost 3 or 4 more games, but used the playing time for development purposes, I would have been happy. Haws and some of the others would have gotten much better by realizing that there are consequences for not playing fundamental basketball. If there had been immediate action for poor decision making, the entire team would have progressed instead of the complete failure and lack of confidence that happened to the team at the end of the year… And to the coaches also, I believe. Sure fans and media would have been mad about winning 18 to 20 Games but at least there would have been signs of life. I bet Mika would have stuck around for another year too. There now has to be a huge mind shift next year to turn things around. I hope they can do it, but I really don’t think they will. I don’t think Rose really knows how out of hand things got this year. Unfortunately, I predict he will coach next year and it will be his last. He just doesn’t have it in him to lay down the law and change both his expectations, his offense and his defense all in the same year. It is just too bad.

Stilman White is a senior and is from Wilmington, N.C. He has played in 26 of 38 games this year. Probably nearly all of them at garbage time. He averages 1.5 ppg. This guy is not in any way, shape, or form a key player. If he hadn’t been on the team this year NC would still be in the final 4. Maybe he would have played a lot at BYU but not getting him isn’t anything we should cry about. He isn’t a Frank Jackson. All of the info is on ESPN.com and is easy to verify. The most he ever played was as a freshman in 2011-12 when he played in 34 of 38 games at an average of 5.8 minutes per game. His stat line was unimpressive. Since his mission he has played even less The year after his mission he played in 9 games and the next year, his junior year, he played in 17… It looks like he has primarily been a garbage time player.

It is probable he would have played a lot more at BYU but doubtful he would have been anything more than a sixth man at best and hardly the kind of guy who would gotten them to the next level.With all their flaws I would rather have Emory or Haws. There are probably dozens of LDS kids who can play division 1 NCAA basketball. Unfortunately you can only carry so many scholarships and there are only so many minutes in a game.