Disappointing Team/General basketball thoughts

great post.

Rose won’t do it so the entire argument is mute.

I read today that Rose is demoting Aytes to the Scout Team and promoting Hartsock to the blue team (starters), something I have been scratching my head about all year long…why not 15 games ago?. Hartsock looked very good in the early games with his fluid 3 and physicality down lown and they claim he has his brother’s jumper so why has he sat on the bench?

Rose also talked in detail about the need to play team ball over selfish me first ball. He also detailed that in the 6 losses, BYU averaged 10.4 assists and in BYU’s wins we averaged 18+.

You are correct. Rose is a good coach, but not a great coach. Developing talent and losing a few games along the way is hard to do. Look at Duke. A few losses here and there… the goal is the end product not the middle of the season. How many time have we seen a Mich St team, Wisc team, Kansas team, Kentucky team, Louisville etc go through rough patches just to give the younger (higher upside players) playing time? Not Rose.

Agree on Hartsock. Play him, Shaw and Aytes in small 4 min stretches … a couple of times a game. Quit trying to win the WCC regular season, it won’t happen anyway. When Chatman hits his first 3 pointer in a game… from here on out … he will be a different player. I can’t wait to see that happen for him.

Another excellent point. Thanks for making it.

I think many of the posters here have postulated the same things and wondered why BYU doesn’t give some of the players more minutes early in the season in order to better prepare for the end of the season. Sometimes Rose sticks with the guys that have the most experience and potentially sacrifices the success of the team further down the road as a result. There has been a serious issue with how well this team plays together… resulting in an up and down, unpredictable season thus far.

I think everyone is hoping that they can put a run together but it remains to be seen if they are willing to do what needs to be done or can do it.

The diamonds in the rough need some time to be cut and polished properly…

He didn’t say selfish. He said Hero ball. Not the same thing.

:cold_sweat:

I’m glad you agree :alien:

:open_mouth: :smirk: :disappointed:

“Guys get in “hero” mode and try to do everything themselves.”

"Sometimes a guy on this team can make a shot and be pretty happy with himself, then there’s four other guys and maybe they’re a little disappointed,” Rose said. “What’s important for us is when we make a shot that all five guys feel like they’ve been involved in it.”

“It’s not only a statistical fact to watch what leads to winning, it’s just the feel of our team when we’re making that extra pass and sharing the ball,” he said.

“For me as a point guard, it’s a big responsibility to get my teammates going, to get in the lane and try to find someone for an open three or dump it down to a big man," Collinsworth said. "It’s a mindset to get your teammate a shot, to get your buddy a shot. It’s contagious. The ball comes back around to you and everybody ends up shooting just as much if not more.”

Doesn’t sound like KC is selfish at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

So, if a teammate sees Fischer make a shot the other 14 players are jealous? Hurt? Mad? If they are, that’s on them, not Fischer or anyone else. When KC is close to a triple double I saw his teammates happy, enthusiastic and doing everything to get him the triple double. Same when Fischer was bombing away in Hawaii. Others were giving up their shots and passing for CF to make another 3.
It’s this kind of trash talk from the coach on down to the lowliest fan that creates the problems.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

:expressionless:

It’s true! I just hope the team isn’t listening to all of this because they will come out flat not knowing when they are suppose to shoot and when they aren’t. And woe for the returning missionaries and potential recruits who will see this nonsense and play somewhere else.

:smirk: :smirk:

Layups layups layups layups layups…
Austin bumbling the ball and falling down…
Missed free throws…
We should be up 30!!!