Don’t expect Gonzaga

Completely disagree with this statement. They played many high profile programs this season and did just fine. Baylor was playing out of their minds and not much Gonzaga could do. They weren’t “deer in the headlights”. Gonzaga plays big games and big P5 teams on a regular basis.

The only thing you bury by believing this is your head in the sand. There is a conspiracy that has existed and continues on in perpetuity (definition - A perpetuity is a type of annuity that lasts forever, into perpetuity . The stream of cash flows continues for an infinite amount of time.). Note how the definition of the word/term I used speaks directly to the issue at hand… the “stream of cash”

It will NEVER go away so you can’t bury it.

Well you have one person here who can agree with you because I see it on a regular basis. While I agree with what SR, hopper and others have posted generally, I also recognize that they are heavily discounting the bigger picture of “how and why” what you posted actually happens. It is the same evidence that I have pointed out as to why Utah will never win a NBA title. The Jazz have been the best NBA team this season. They have started to fade a bit lately because of injuries, etc. but they will not make it happen in the playoffs, healthy or not. Nobody cares about Utah and Donovan Mitchell actually came out and said so. He was fined by the league but he spoke his mind and he spoke truth.

Having said that, I agree with what you are saying in concept. Ultimately it is all about money and power, something that people seem to either not perceive or want to deny the existence of. How many teams from the Big 10 made it into the tournament? How many of those teams played well? I watched Michigan play in an elite 8 game and they looked terrible. Even in their prior wins they looked bad and given a pass to the elite 8. No name teams will always upset the power 5 teams in the early round games, that is what keeps people interested and gives fans a false sense of hope. Some will even make it to the final 4 and championship game, ie. Gonzaga and others. But what you say is absolutely true. No matter what the situation, a non power 5 team will not win a national title in the modern era of college basketball… there is too much on the line, money and power and the innate desire to elevate oneself above another. It’s a sad reality of the human condition but it is very real.

Completely disagree…Gonzaga was blindsided and never could regain their defensive abilities.

Well, do some PI work and catch Few paying off these top players that go to Gonzaga for playtime.

As always I nearly completely agree with everything you post. You have a unique ability to understand both sides of the discussion and validate what is said, providing evidence for each argument. I find my own belief to align closer with Astaire in this case. That belief is supported by decades of evidence across a variety of sports but in college it is certainly apparent in basketball and football. In today’s culture it is overwhelming how blatant it has become but that is what the “love of money” will do to people. It spreads into power, control, etc. and has only gotten worse in the last few decades. It can’t get better going forward because nobody who makes the decisions is willing or able to do it. It is reflected in our political structure as well. A sad reflection of the human condition and satan’s influence.

So, what you are saying is Gonzaga took the fall. That’s why they played terrible in the beginning of the game. And that’s why BYU plays terrible at the beginning of games. That’s all that can be found with your conspiracy theory. Care to respond :slight_smile:

Read Aro’s post and you will understand what happened better than you do now. It was a combination of different reasons, like it usually is. Deer in the headlights doesn’t accurately reflect the situation.

I’ve been down this road with you so many times that it is pointless. That is not what I am saying and I am positive nobody else here thinks this besides you. No more responses to your inane posts, sorry.

Lol I have no problem with most of what you say. The problem is, though, people are beginning to believe that whenever things don’t go your way it’s a conspiracy. If your team loses-it someone’s else’s fault or it was “rigged”. Interesting to watch the Dallas/Golden State game last night. Two of the “experts “ picked GS. Dallas blew them out and were ahead by plus 40 on the road-hence the refs must have wanted the Mavericks to win. Every failure in life is not a conspiracy and we shouldn’t look to blame anyone except realize that personally we need to do a better job. Sports is an outlet that takes us all away from life’s problems, for just a brief period of time. Being a big Gonzaga fan doesn’t keep me from appreciating, a great effort from Baylor and giving credit to Baylor. It was not a conspiracy that Gonzaga lost-they just were outplayed that particular evening

The more convoluted the conspiracy gets the less truthful it is. Achman would agree

Says the guy who proposes myriad political conspiracies.

Of course there is truth to what Burton is saying. Absolutely Baylor outplayed Gonzaga, but that is kind of beside the point. Had they not been so dominant, it would have proven more difficult to accomplish the goal of making sure a P-5 team was the champion. I won’t go into details of how that is accomplished but it is always there and anyone who claims otherwise is clueless.

The conspiracy comments were directed at the big picture and what Astaire said is true. If any of you honestly believe that there is no conspiracy on the part of the P-5 conferences to do whatever they must to keep the money and the championships within their circle of privileged elites then you are COMPLETELY clueless of the things going on around you.

Oh, please! Go into the details how Baylor won by conspiracy. Please explain in detail!

Fred, you just blew up the board with that statement. The Zags are a blueblood and they will get that title. Few will stay until he does. Just my opinion. He just snagged the 2 best players IN the country.

There is not one media outlet or scouting source that calls Gonzaga a mid major any more. Not one. They are a final 4 fixture and should of won the championship game, just had a bad game. Those Baylor guards hitting their 1st few 3s got the Mo going, along with a HOF coach, they were on fire and nobody was going to put that thing out. Gonzaga would be a juggernaut in any program, period.

Upon reading what I posted, sounds critical, was not meant that way, just saying that Gonzaga had a slow start in the title game and come back, I completely agree with Aro when he says that Gonzaga had a bad game. Kespert was really off as was Suggs, Ayayi and Timme. When seldom heard, Nembhard is leading the team for a good part of the 1st half, you know that were shell shocked.

I know the Zags just obtained the best two recruits out there and with that should win the National Championship this year and or next…And I am, next to BYU, on their side on them doing that. But as to your comment of them being “Blue Bloods”… they are not even close. Do they win every year and are they ranked #1 in the country every year… Yes… but that is not the definition of a “Blue Blood”. A “Blue Blood” is that shadow figure you just can not quite put your finger on, who mysteriously controls the outcome of events out there. Most the time they are associated with historical figures which have had lots of success: Kentucky and UCLA… but most definitely they are associated with the Power Five Conferences. Any Non-Power Five school who thinks they are going to win a National Championship outside the control of the Power Five… Forget it… It will never happen… because the “Blue Bloods” will not allow for it to happen. Prove me wrong: Now and in the Future.

Explain how the “Blue Bloods” stopped Gonzaga from beating Baylor? Did they electronically shrink the circumference of the basket when they shot? Did they enlarge the circumference of the basket when Baylor shot the ball? Did they have people in various places in the gym shining flashlights in the eyes of Gonzaga shooters? How exactly did they keep Gonzaga from winning?

Fred - Don’t bother replying to the hopper… I understand what you are talking about, he never will. We are describing the same situation that explains why the Utah Jazz will never win a NBA championship. They have been the best team in the NBA but for a few different reasons they are falling on hard times. One reason is Donovan Mitchell being injured, the more important reason is the NBA and it’s entertainment/business model machine. The one that allows Brooklyn to stack their team. The machine that tells officials how to officiate a game and which teams/players to take care of. The conspiracy is found in the heavy handed influence the league uses to mold and create the results that make the machine more profitable.

It is no different in college sports now. Football and basketball are big money… they carry the athletic programs at all D-1 schools. The rest of the athletic teams are money losers. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless. Now with gambling purveyors being allowed inside the arenas it is going to get worse. I see it and often wonder why more people don’t. Grasshopper is blind, don’t bother trying to open his eyes, they are perpetually closed to this type of stuff.

Your portrayal is nonsense. Trying to depict some extreme, ridiculous situation doesn’t help whatever argument you have. There have been numerous non P-5 teams that have made it to the final four and, as we saw this year, the championship game. It seems virtually impossible that not one of them has EVER won the title. Why is that?

If you read (and more importantly comprehend) what Astaire has written, he has provided the only possible explanation for it. You see it all the time yet you don’t comprehend it. Frankly, that is the most bizarre part of this whole discussion.

Not nonsense. He said no one but a P5 teams will win the National Champion because of some unknown conspiracy. So, I’m calling on it. And I guess you too. What specifically did the P5’s do to make Gonzaga play poorly and Baylor play great?

I will tell you what you want, if you tell me you have personally seen the other side of the moon. Also tell me do you know for a fact what is at the center of the Earth. I suspect you can’t answer those questions. But, it’s evident, your knowledge is based upon what others have told you. There is a lot more that meets the eye than what is perceived and what is told to you by others. For example: As to the composition of the earth, I’m sure you have been taught a certain way, by books and your teachers… but there is one man who has compared the earth to a metal ball, in that electricity can be controlled and travel through the “ground” like it does in a wire from one place to another. Proof of this is when the batteries of the 1800 telegraph would fail from age, they still could transmit from one station to another and this even across rivers. The ability of the “Blue Bloods” and those that control sports in the P5 conferences are behind the scenes and their control of things are subtle and mostly overt and rarely visible to your inspection. But, the results are there. And the future results are: odds on favorite that the Zags will get to the national championship game again. And as long as they are NOT in a P5 conference, 10 to 1 they will lose that game too.