ECU Confirms our fears

Ummm… no. 38 points against Utah St. and Wyoming and 35 against Arkansas would contradict your misguided belief. The BYU defense spends so much time on the field, trying to stop opponents as they grind the clock with ball control drives, that the offense doesn’t have the time to drive and score, which results in bizarre play calling. The two must work together in order to keep up with the opponent, .

Allow me to enlighten you with a simple analogy.

This will help simplify things for you. Let’s compare the football team to a tree. The defense is the ROOT and the problem, the offense is a BRANCH on the tree that seems to be withering lately. Gotta fix the root situation if you want the branch to thrive and grow. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Funny you should bring up the Saints game. Great analysis, by the way.
Kansas City also has a D backfield problem that they hide very well with their line aggression.

BYU is like boiling frogs. How many season holders have to quit this team to get coaching changes but Its now danger time.

Duley noted. If Hall was closer to Wilson, he would take the O on his shoulders and won close games. ND and ECU were both very winnable. Early on Hall was throwing to 8 or 9 guys. Cosper and Hill were having impactful games. Roberts had a mind blowing game, now all I see is Nacua (he is the real deal), Something not right in Coug town.

The real reason why the coaches have lost the team.

Cougs will be blue on the smerf terf

1 Like

I agree: the unimaginative play calling for the defense and now the offense, plus the coaches losing the players with the resultant poor playing on the field by several of the players has led me to no longer care about the program. I have better places for my money and can make better use of my time.

It is not the losses in and of themselves, it is all of the above that I finally say Addio to BYU sports.

Arrivederci

How many times have you been married? Good grief

Arkie:
DO NOT leave this board! We need your input. Or if you are getting sick of BYU’s boring football team like a lot of us are, go over to the basketball board. Arkansas has their best team since the Nolan Richardson glory days, and BYU’s mad scientist Coach Pope is brewing up something interesting as he tries to build a roster that will not get KILLED in the Big12. But we need you on this board. Hope you stay.

Allow me to enlighten you with a simple analogy: A fish’s myomere muscles are like the offense on a football team. Without these muscles, the fish does not move through the water. Without the offense on a football team, the team cannot move the ball to score. The defense is like the tail fin on a fish which can increase the speed of the fish once it’s moving. But, the defense most likely won’t score much since a football team needs the offense to do most of the scoring as a fish needs to be moving first before the tail fin will kick in. Strengthen the offense first to get the scoring going…

With all the comments on here about what is wrong with our team, I thought you would “enjoy” these comments by Dave McCann. :open_mouth:

BYU football: Coaches, fans matter, but players win games | Opinion - Deseret News

With his annual teams cobbled together from transfer portal mercenaries? Pope has been really disappointing to me as a recruiter, playcaller, and motivator. Basketball is in as bad of shape as football.

He’s obviously made some mistakes as we may see Monday when Kobe Lee comes into play against midgets. Good midgets but it would be nice to have a 7 footer in the post this year.
Why does Utah get 7 footers to play there every year? Well, maybe when the leagues gyms aren’t high school gyms then maybe we will get some 7 footers. Don’t say I don’t appreciate Fousse and Atiki. Fousse is going to do great again. And out outside shooting shoot be great. Pope recruits great ones and twos.

IMHO McCann’s article feels like it was drafted by the football coaches’ PR guy and fed to McCann. Of course better players mean better defense, but better scheme maximizes those players. As I have said before, do we think KVN would have had the same impact had he been schematically directed to start 5 yards off the line and drop on every snap? If the “scheme” called for Kyle Morrell to stand 8 yards deep in the end zone in “goal line D” vs Hawaii, BYU wouldn’t have won a national championship. Just sayin’. Scheme matters. A lot.

I should put this on the basketball page, but wanted to respond…Pope has to play the mercenary game, because that is now what D1 basketball is. Unabetted transfers without having to sit out combined with NIL Last year has created, what my friend deep within the program has called “mass chaos” when it comes to recruiting and player retention. Within about 3 weeks of the end of March Madness, over 900 D1 basketball players entered the portal. Don’t like your coach? Portal. Think you should be a starter but are not? Portal. Homesick? Portal. Don’t get as many shots as you think you should get? Portal. It’s madness but it’s now the reality. Basketball programs now have operations staff or asst coaches who do nothing other than troll the portal daily. Other than the top 10 or so programs (who can regularly sign 4 and 5 star 1 and done guys), ALL programs will live or die with the portal.

1 Like

I’ve never seen a fish without a tail nor do I know if a tail less fish can even swim. I have my doubts… but this BYU fish has no tail, so it really has no chance, myomere muscles or not.

It can move without the tail. Just not fast. By the way, speaking about no defense. SP best Encinitas in CIF opening round 62-55 and over 1000 yards between both teams.

Congratulations on making the playoffs for the first time in forever, good for SP to get a win. :wink:

So, we threw for 531 yards. A total of 650 yards. El Monte rushed 6 and even 7 sometimes. They sacked the QB a few times. But, the outcome was a win. So, IT’S THE OFFENSE that wins games :slight_smile:

Listening to the BYU pre-game, interesting take…
Brian Logan made a comment about having 10 defensive starter hurt and cannot play today.

His question: “Why” what is causing this to happen for the last 2 years?

His response: I thinks we need to look at the medical staff and the strength and conditioning coaches.

David Nixon said when you have 10 starters who generally get the bulk of the reps in practice as well as the leaders of the team, that spells disaster,

Thought you would like to hear this new take.

Therefore, it’s up to the offense to win the game. Great first possession!

Keep dreaming about the first part of your comment, but yes that was a good mix of plays… including using Rex.

And then two unimaginative plays on 3rd and 4th downs

Floyd:
I’ve not seen any practices this year and haven’t talked to people I know in the program about this point, but it’s a good one. Your mentioning Brian Logan made me think of the general dysfunction of the BYU defense in the Sitake regime.

Brian Logan and Rodney Rice were two of the best corners in BYU history–and definitely two of my favorite BYU players all time. Rice was LISTED at 5’7" and probably more like 5’6". Rice had 11 picks in 2 years and played physical, in your face pass D. Brian Logan was LISTED at 5’6". So maybe 5’5". Logan was a SI Honorable Mention All American and was a VISCIOUS tackler.

I’ll add Rodney Thomas was listed at 5’11" and played in 1987 opposite Rice. Thomas also had 11 ints. Thomas was so good that his stats got worse every year because he was so good people wouldn’t even challenge him.

My point: arguably the 3 best corners in BYU history–and DEFINITELY TWO OF THEM-- WOULD NOT EVEN BE RECRUITED TODAY BY LAMB AND TUIAKI, who have openly and brazenly said they won’t recruit “short” corners. These are the guys in charge. Should I laugh, or should I cry?