Fall from grace

Trevor Matich just said what I’m saying on BYU Sports Nation, the turnovers cost the game. Happened in the rain. We weren’t prepared for the rain. Why? He also didn’t blame the defense as they only scored touchdowns after the fumbles inside our 25 yard line.
With that said, I don’t like it that we don’t blitz a lot more. I don’t like it that an ABC commentator has to explain to our backs how to secure a football from the sideline. And explain how to throw a football in the rain. Poor preparation.

Sorry, but NONE of those fumbles had anything to do with the rain. They were punchouts against backs not being careful to protect the ball. Even the sideline guy pointed out how careless BYU was on the fumbles and even used a cute demonstration with a football to prove his point.

Mid-Term Report Card: How is BYU doing at the halfway point of the season? (247sports.com)

When Kalani says “It’s on me,” I believe him.

1. We had no momentum, and we went for it on our own side when a punt would have just taken us to half down one score? Wow.
  2. Going for it on 4th and goal FROM THE 5 after three STRAIGHT botched plays? With nearly a whole quarter to play? Are you KIDDING ME? These decisions gave BSU a FG and cost BYU a FG. Ya think driving with 2 minutes left in the game down 6 or 3 sure would have felt different than being down 9 with no realistic chance to win?
  3. Once again we couldn’t get the other offense off the field and were dominated in TOP. At one point it was 24min-12. Tuiaki got desperate and started to bring pressure and that completely flipped the momentum, but it was too little too late. This is not on the players–it’s 100% on the coaches because it’s schematic. Our defense retreats because Kalani and Tuiaki thinks we can win by just retreating and waiting for the other team to screw up. Once again that mindset backfired.

Props to BSU Coach Avalos and his staff–EXCELLENT game plan. A well deserved win for BSU. I’ve always liked that program and am happy for Avalos, who is a great guy like Kalani and I wish him success.

I BADLY misjudged this game. I couldn’t believe my eyes watching BSU run on 1st and 2nd down and BYU not adjust until it was too late to matter. .

I had planned to fly to Dallas and take my little brother and his two HS sons to the Waco game, but not anymore. It’s just not fun to watch games when the other team has the ball so much. Baylor should have by far the best offense we have seen all year and I think the way to beat them is to get into an all-out free-for-all shootout and have the ball last, but if Kalani brings the Weak Stuff again on D, I predict we will fall behind a few scores and it will be groundhog day for BYU football.

Just happened during the only quarter of the year in 6 games (that’s 24 quarters) where we lose 3 fumbles because of poor technique) that we lose 3. It’s not like the other 5 teams weren’t trying to punch the ball out. Sorry, the likelihood of it not have something to do with the rain is so small it can’t be measured. Each of the three times the players were slipping losing balance because of the rain. Out extends the arm and fumble. I usually agree with you.
Then there was Hall not making the adjustments on his grip because of the rain.

Another thing about the Boise game. Conover should have started if Hall wasn’t going to run. Although Hall threw well (except for the 2nd quarter), his strength is the ability to run and cause problems for the defense.
The year isn’t over. You think Alabama fans are thinking that or their team? Not a chance. Neither is BYU. Any word on Romney if his head is good to play?

We will have to disagree about the fumbles and leave it at that.
We agree that not running Jaren hurt our chances.

The year might not be over, but it’s a hair’s breadth from being over if we are talking about a chance for a NYD bowl, which was the upside pie-in-the-sky best case scenario for this team. With 1 loss we will probably NOT be in a NYD bowl, and if we finish 10-2 we FOR SURE will not be. So whether we finish 10-2 or 6-6 it’s the same result-a minor bowl with a low payout against a terrible opponent. After our dreams of playing say a 2 loss SEC or Big 10 team on NYD were dashed by BSU, I don’t think any of us are drooling with excitement over BYU playing UAB or Texas-San Antonio in the Independence Bowl.

I think with one loss there is a good chance of a New Years Day bowl game because that would be 7 wins over P5 programs. I just don’t think BYU will get through the year without any more losses. Baylor is really good and a few other games worry me.

It’s who you lose to. A 2-3 BSU team. We all saw the single largest drop in the top 25. BYU dropped 10 to # 20. With Cinn and Costal Carolina not looking like a loss, BYU has zero chance, even with one loss. Woulda Coulda Shoulda.
And, the next 3 are three P5s and two road games. 3% chance of winning all three.

I hadn’t factored Coastal Carolina into the equation. They might not lose any considering their weak schedule. Doesn’t matter it is highly improbable BYU can win out. Nine or ten wins would be a good season particularly with the Utah win in pocket but not what we fans hoped for against all probability. Nobody thought BYU would beat both ASU and Utah and that lead to some unrealistic hopes. Since Cincinnati will probably be the only G6 in a New Years Bowl game I wonder what the chance of a BYU/Coastal Carolina matchup would be in minor bowl game. I would love to see that one with a chance to even the score.

Man, I love your thinkin. Play Costal C on the West coast and somebody kidnap Tuiaki and his drop back 8 zone. Pay back time. I do think this is Pie in the Sky as CC is locked up in a bowl and BYU is locked into theirs

1 Like

We do have to win the next 3 games for sure. Baylor will be a tall order.
But, you do have to agree that 1 out of 24 chance of 3 fumbles coming in the only rainy quarter is pretty convincing for the reason for poor ball security.

The rain wasn’t a factor. Sitting there watching, it wasn’t enough to even cover up. Algier’s fumbled when he took a hard shot to the back-understandable. Katoa had bad ball security on both fumbles. Ultimately, the defense gave up too many 4,5, 6 yard running plays instead of stuffing them. Talking with some of the players after the game, they know they let one get away, but this is a classy group of players, even apologizing for their performance. The coaches made a few questionable calls that put BYU in a hole. Give BSU credit-they came in undermanned and less talented and left a winnerc for a few reasons. Time to move on and I see BYU with 3 losses this year. A good year considering their schedule. BYU is a class act-I’d take them over anyone, any day

Just happened during the only quarter of the year in 6 games (that’s 24 quarters) where we lose 3 fumbles because of poor technique) that we lose 3. It’s not like the other 5 teams weren’t trying to punch the ball out. Sorry, the likelihood of it not have something to do with the rain is so small it can’t be measured. Each of the three times the players were slipping losing balance because of the rain. Out extends the arm and fumble. Then there was Hall not making the adjustments on his grip because of the rain. The point is, not making excused for poor preparation for the rain when Boise obviously was more ready for the rain.

Sorry, I was less than ten yards from the field. Katoa’s second fumble the sun was shining and it wasn’t raining. Doesn’t matter-you weren’t there. Algier fumbled because of a vicious hit from behind. Probably anyone fumbles after that hit. If it had been a downpour I would agree with you-it wasn’t-just a good hit and poor ball security. I never heard one coach or player say the rain was a factor, so if you need the rain as an excuse-go for it, but the rain was minimal, just an average day on the Oregon coast

grasshopper: “Just happened during the only quarter of the year in 6 games (that’s 24 quarters) where we lose 3 fumbles because of poor technique) that we lose 3. It’s not like the other 5 teams weren’t trying to punch the ball out. Sorry, the likelihood of it not have something to do with the rain is so small it can’t be measured. Each of the three times the players were slipping losing balance because of the rain. Out extends the arm and fumble. Then there was Hall not making the adjustments on his grip because of the rain. The point is, not making excused for poor preparation for the rain when Boise obviously was more ready for the rain.”

Me: Naw, you don’t repeat, no way.

Another indictment of the prevent defense:
If any of you saw the fourth quarter and OT of MNF tonight, you saw the Colts jump out to a lead and then go BYU D on Baltimore. Result: Baltimore scored TDs on FOUR consecutive drives to hand the Colts their first loss in franchise history after leading by 16 in the 4th quarter. Baltimore QB was 29/32–yes 29/32 in the 4th quarter and OT, and I’d say about 25 of the 29 completions were short easy throws under the zone as the Colts dropped 7 or 8 deep on every play. The ESPN announcers repeatedly wondered why the D was so passive. At one time the announcer said, and I quote, “ Announcer: “You CANNOT just sit back in zone defense and think you will stop this team.”

So Tuiaki isn’t the only one, but the results were the same. And I bet Colts fans had about as much fun watching it as I do watching BYU’s defense get pushed around every week.

Oh, and Baltimore had 18 completions to the TE and RBs. I think 1 went over 10 yards in the air. BSU patiently ran the ball down our throats, getting first downs and grinding clock. USF patiently threw short passes and QB scrambles, getting first downs and grinding clock. Shortening the game and playing keep away is the classic strategy for a lesser team to hang with a better one. BYU’s scheme invites that, which is why Kalani loses at least one game every year we shouldn’t. That #10 ranking was a sham—BYU has yet to even put one team away this year. Top 20 is fair, but lose to Baylor and we will go from National darling to unranked in a flash.

The Colts were a classic example of a team trying not to lose. With the ball inside the Baltimore 20, with a first down they settle for 2 running plays and another run just to get in a good position for a FG which was blocked. After it was blocked, it was evident that the Ravens would score a TD and the two point conversion. I see so many teams play a soft defense and it usually comes back to haunt them. Bachmeir is a very good QB, unless you pressure him and knock him around, then he gets rattled. That has been the case since he came to BSU. The defense played right into the Bronco’s scheme and the running backs turned the ball over. End result-the team with the greater talent and home field advantage lost the game and it was a huge loss, because they will lose two more games and most likely not make the top 25. Time for Sitake’s to take over and start playing more aggressively on defense

1 Like