Football Mid Season State of the Union

Tom,
I am not begrudging players from trying to improve or get more money (which I think is destroying College sports).

My question is simple: Barrington brother both transferred, why? Not sure the NIL money was the issue. Grimes has put more lineman in the NFL than anyone on the BYU staff. That is one reason, but I also think that Funk is not a very good coach and that is why they both left.

When Weber was our O-line coach, I know from talking to someone in the lineman group that he (the coach) would start his “favorites” (my day they called them brown nosers) over better-quality players.
I wonder if something similar is happening with Funk (remember who started at Right Tackle this year and whiffed on so many blocks he had to be replaced by Kiem)

This kid I talked to about weber started for BYU two straight seasons, then Weber took over and he was 2nd string even though the year before he never allowed pressure on the QB (that year he was the only lineman never to allow a sack or pressure on the QB).

The funny thing is, recently Deseret News had an article about who has been the best walk-on in BYU history and this kids name was on the list.

You can’t say this kid had sour grapes, nor was he biased. He loved Bronco and Anae, never said one bad thing about the team or BYU. He just did not like Weber, who later was ask to “look somewhere else” for employment by Bronco because apparently someone else noticed what was going on.

Except when there’s more parity in the P5’s like there is this year. Arkansas loses to Alabama by one touchdown. That doesn’t mean I’m saying BYU is playing good team football. Injuries are starting to hurt as well because where we are lacking is still in depth. It will take a few years to improve there. Unless the NIL destroys us first. It’s a shame the NCAA and courts have failed STUDENT athletes.

Grimes clearly has a fantastic track record–and is extremely likeable. No surprise the Barringtons followed him. I agree it probably had nothing to do with NIL; both would have been starters for BYU, so it’s not about PT. Had to be about coaching, and they were a serious loss for BYU because they were both good last year. I don’t know much about Funk but this year isn’t gonna look very good on his resume.

Actually Arkansas was a pretty good win. Every team they have lost to except BYU is a good SEC team and they have been competitive in every game, but that is the only good win they have had and 3 of the wins they haven’t looked good. BYU is not a good team but I will give them credit for 1 good win against a SEC team on the road. The most discouraging thing about BYU is that they are not improving as the season goes on and several of those teams left on
the schedule I though BYU could beat are getting better.

That is true, but the bottom line is that they LOST the last four games. Not sure they are good or not, winning in Arkansas is a plus for BYU, but to be honest, BYU was “lucky” to win that game.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. This will happen again Saturday. BYU 41 TT 18

This the typical blue glassed Kool-aid drinking fan would say.

The fact that BYU cannot muster 300–400-yard games in 6 tries, that they have an average running of 66 yards a game (128th in the country) and the fact that almost every offensive stat is below the 100 marks in the NCAA backs my comment that it was lucky that BYU won the games.

That’s all right. The preparation they had on those 4 wins met the opportunity where those 4 teams weren’t ready. That’s what luck is. What do you think luck is? Some magic wizard hocus pocus? Any successful person will define luck the same way. Look it up.

Sadly, BYU for some reason cannot generate enough offense to win games. We rank #1 in the country in several categories:
Winningest team 5-2 with a total team offense under 300 YPG.
We average UNDER 300 per game!
The first 13 games Sitake played that were under 300 were losses and yet the last 13 games where we generated 300 yards, BYU is 12-1. Greg Gruveil stats, hey I was on the road late last night so I listened to the after game Coaches Show

A strong argument that Hill is making a huge difference.

Let’s add that BYU’s defensive penalties are WAAAAAAAAY down this year, and that is 99% COACHING. A penalty here and there is bad luck or a bad call, but the overall reduction means we simply have better defensive coaches.

I will add this: Hill is also making a GIANT difference off the field when it comes to HC and academic issues. The ADs love him and it’s in part because he espouses BYU’s mission 100% in word AND deed–and we have way fewer off the field problems (including the ones the media never hears about). Fewer problems=less chaos=better football.

Oh yeah, and our offense SUCKS. ARod apparently sees no need at all for short passes, and has decided that Rex and Chase Roberts don’t need touches. It’s sickening for me to watch. Thank Goodness for Jay Hill because without him we would be 2-5 and headed for a 2-10 season, and that’s no exaggeration.

Any noise on why LJ did not play in the 2nd half? He was standing on the sidelines watching?

one possible reason is that he whiffed on several blocking assignments in the first half.

I think they wanted to get Robbins some meaningful action. Robbins ran well on BYUs last possession. You need 2 good running backs and I thought Robbins looked way better Saturday than he did in the first two games of the year. I think it was partly a matter of Robbins finally being healthy and needing to get back into action. Other than one big loss he took that wasn’t his fault he ran quite well. The big loss of yardage on one play hurt his overall game stats.

He got praises from the commentators on his blocking. I think that if he isn’t injured then it was to give Robbins practice. Having two good backs will help going forwards. I’d like to see more of Davis as well.

Martin was dinged up in the 2nd

I just noticed that he whiffed on a block and the announcers mentioned it.

I noticed when he ran, he was not as crisp as usual.

Every team in the conference is better than the teams BYU normally plays in recent years. There are no automatic wins like in the past. Hill has done a great job with the talent that he has. BYU’s best chance to go bowling will be against Iowa State @ home. There isn’t anyone that should be disappointed or surprised at the results this year. Skill positions on offense are surprisingly good, but the offensive line has under performed. The responsibility has to rest with the OL coach-just the way it is. Maybe the OC is over his head in this conference. Most successful offenses in this day and age, use a short passing attack to offset the pressure and open things up downfield for longer passes. One thing I’ve noticed about BYU, is they don’t adapt well to what their opponents happen to be running and when they get a lead, tend to try and sit on it. Not a wise strategy sometimes. BYU will get there but not for a few years. Most of you hate Utah, but the Utes overcome adversity and really play hard and win games because of the mindset their coaches have set for the program, even when their star qb is injured. I don’t do “hate” with athletic programs-I just like to watch good football, whether it be Michigan, Notre Dame or BYU. I enjoy BYU’s defense, and they are over-performing. BYU’s offense is frustrating because they are underperforming-simple really. I hope they can win against ISU-good luck cougs

1 Like

POST OF THE DAY. You nailed it.

Excellent post. We can beat the other teams on any given day.