Gap is widening

Such as??? Be more specific.

I came to BYU in 1977 as a non-member of the Jewish faith. The Members had a huge advantage over me knowing the characters, geography and meaning of the Book of Mormon. Still not sure how I passed the two classes. I probably would do better in the class today.

It has to be very hard as a non-member. My wife and I were janitorial supervisors for two years at the Richards Building (PE, racquetball and basketball courts, pool). We had a wealthy German girl with a blue convertible on our staff. She didn’t have to work, but worked a graveyard janitorial shift, anyway (impressive). We got to know her very well, and asked her what brought her to BYU (she wanted to go to UCLA). Her father told her he would only let her study in the U.S. if she went to BYU, because of crime statistics. :slight_smile:

Book of Mormon and D&C were a challenge for her . . .

We had her over for a murder mystery night (she brought a date, and we had a few other couples).

Being an alumnus of both BYU and Utah, I think people are making this too complicated. Schools with high academic standards, can compete with other schools and there are plenty examples if you want to look for them. Also Mendenhall’s was a really good defensive coach and held his staff accountable on both sides of the ball-something Sitake has not done. Can you see Kalani turning one of the worst programs in the nation around like Bronco has?-I can’t. Too many excuses-not enough accountability. Having attended both universities-the big difference for me was BYU seemed more personal for me-more like home, but I still like to see Utah do well and Kyle is a good figurehead for the Utes. The key in athletics hasn’t changed over the years-and that key is coaching and developing a system that attracts players-something Pope is doing right now and that includes players from everywhere not just Utah. I like to use the service academies as an example of success. Nowhere will you find a tougher road to put together a quality program that can compete with the best teams. Yet Navy and Air Force and even Army has had good success. So, in essence, get the right coach with the right system that kids want to play for and your success rate multiplies-they may not be a top 10 team but they will represent themselves and their schools well.

Cool story. Did she ever join the church?

I remember reading about this girl working at the Ricchard building and I think the article was from daily universe good story. I don’t remember if she did ever join the church and what year was that?

I don’t know (it was the year I graduated). She had a good experience, and was favorably-disposed towards the Church. Book of Mormon classes weren’t as easy for someone with no prior exposure, though.

Utah won so apparently not. The NFL scouts are professionals. Until we get into a conference, the talent level will suffer. Utah got the five best players from the state this year.

Yet, we were up 20 points in the 4th quarter and started playing not to lose and lost. We beat teams that recruit better than we supposedly do, USC, Tennessee and Boise. I’ll take the talent we get that hasn’t peaked and develop that talent who wants what BYU has to offer them.

This is the same tired argument that holds no actual facts. How is being in a non power 5 conference going to improve the number of draft picks or even improve the team? We need to get in a power 5 conference but absent that … BYU needs to stay independent and play good teams. Please list the facts that support your argument on going to a non P5 conference and I will list the downside … which is way bigger than any upside.

Thawk is perfect and you’ll never win a debate or discussion. He’s reached perfection… :joy:

Are you forgetting 2019 when we never lead in Provo and lost 30-12? In 2018, we lead but Utah was missing Moss, Huntley and Covey. Still they came back with a fury and broke our hearts again.

I think the “times are a changing”, I would think that members in the early times of the church would pretty much say similar things about our generation. In the early days of the church, they did not have Sunday School, Primary, multiple meetings on Sunday. the basic premise was that you went to listen to the prophet on Sunday, but the rest of the week, “You as Parents” taught the children the gospel principals., not some fancy professor who has a rich background in the doctrine.

So I guess it is a matter of perspective…I look at the technology aged grand kids ( Millennials/ Gen Z kids) and think that they never knew the joys of riding a bike on a dirt trial, playing outside until “mom called”, never play street football, etc. Their heads are stuck in a technology device.

In 1975, I applied to BYU for college. Having been recently converted to the church my Junior year in High School (before I was simply Agnostic, with flavors of Atheist). I choose the school because I wanted to go where I thought I could live the gospel more freely. My family was not religious and my dad was not really a happy camper I joined the church.

But I think the Lord had better plans for me, because I kept getting all this information about BYU, where to live, what all the cool things you could do type materials, BUT no acceptance letter.

So I went to my second choice USU, in November, I got my acceptance letter to BYU. Stating they had a computer “bug” that brought down the system that sent out the acceptance letters. mine was one of those unfortunate ones.

I stayed at USU and the Lord had someone befriend me that helped me get my head wrapped around going on a mission in direct opposition of my parents.

A year later, I was on my mission.
That is why I am not one to say BYU is the Lord’s University, I believe the Lord directs people to where he wants them to go to fulfill his commitments to the people. If I had never met Roger my friend, I may or may not went on my mission.

Utah Tech… Back in the late 70’s when I was at the Lord’s University, Frank Arnold heard about a BB player, 6’3” that had a 48” vertical leap and could shoot lights out that played a year at Utah Tech. He and Jerry Pimm were hot after him. But, he had no desire to play D1 ball or NBA. He’d come on campus and play pickup ball often. But never continued his schooling. Don’t remember his name now.

That is Utah State… We had Ron Santos, Preston Baliess, and “Big O” Oscar Williams all Coach by Dutch Belnap.

The only reason I know these guys is because I lived in the same dorm as them, invited me to play pick-up with them, then promptly abused me on the court (basketball wise)… good times.

If the timing is right, it might be Marc Wilson (no, not the football player). He only played two years at USU.

He was African American. 48” official vertical 49” unofficial.