Gonzaga, 2nd try

1 BYU has had 4 horrible starts on the year. Where we get behind big time in the first few minutes. You draw up your own conclusion.

1. After the slow start, BYU played the #1 team in the country even.
  2. Poor reffing! Gave Gonzaga too few fouls, penalized BYU for tacky stuff.
  3. Turnovers, 19 for BYU and 10 Steals for GU. The sign of super quick, smart athletes cutting off passing lanes for GU… Just 5 better athletes and why GU will win it all this year.
  4. After pathetic starts for ABBA, they both put on a show for the rest of the game.
  5. Harrms and Harward and Lee were complelely SCHOOLED by Timme. Timme out rebounded 13-7 all of them combined. Outscored all of them combined 20-2. All 7’3 Haarms in 16 minutes got 1 rebound
  6. Johnson came to play, Lohner, George and ABBA were our best 5 out there. In my humble opinion Pope needs to draw up more Lohner-George plays and get these two used to scoring and taking the load off of ABBA.
  7. This loss does not hurt us one bit in the big picture, but because of the Whimpy WCC and these teams refusing to play, BYU cannot fill stats and may be judged harshly by the commitiee.

After the number 1 team in the country can put it on auto BYU can play with them…how many teams in the country can say that?
On the other hand, how many of the best teams did the Zags put it in automatic for 3/4 of the game?

Both the Zags and Cougs need to find some teams to play the rest of the month…P12 Commish and WCC Commish should talk about non-callie teams playing for schedule and practice/staying-sharp benefits…

I liked what I saw from Knell and Johnson. Knell finally looked comfortable taking 3 point shots. Johnson can get in the lane and hit some midrange shots and play good defense.

I don’t know why BYU starts off slow out of the blocks. We did under Rose as well. Is it a LDS thing??? Weird.

I didn’t think Few put anything on auto. He played his starters to the end. I think we wore them down a bit and our pressure caused them problems at times. We just don’t have a presence in the middle the way we should. Our bigs don’t work to get position on the block and they have to dribble 10 times.

Sorry-put this on the wrong thread…here’s my second try on this:
Thoughts:

1. BARCELLO: I LOVED seeing Barcello take charge with the ball in his hands and prove that he can shoot efficiently and score 20 against some of the very best players in the country. VERY impressive by AB.
  2. LOHNER will be a STAR! He forced Kispert to have his least productive game of the year (especially when you take out the garbage time/intentional foul points he scored).
  3. KISPERT: Credit to Kispert: on a night when he was eliminated, he played team ball and didn’t try to force things as long as his teammates were scoring.
  4. SUGGS: Wow what a beautiful ball player! He is a joy to watch…he does it all and does it for his TEAM. I am a big fan and hope that kid knows how lucky he is to be mentored by Mark Few.

5.OFFICIALS: When I saw Verne Harris, I knew it would be TICKY TACK TIME. I was excited to see George and Suggs fight it out, but the officials eliminated both of them early in the first half with stupid ticky tack fouls. The officiating has been generally good all year, but last night was abominable–for both teams. A mixture of head scratching ticky tack fouls that didn’t affect play, then guys getting knocked to the ground with no call. FOR BOTH TEAMS.

1. HAARMS: I have never seen a softer or weaker effort by a big man. I want to say more but this is a PG rated board…even PG-13 wouldn’t get me there on this one…
  2. JOHNSON: The kid is a beanpole, but he can actually create is own shot off the dribble, which is an all too rare commodity on this team. I’m enjoying watching him progress. Easy to root for him too.
  3. OVERALL: As Chris said, I think I picked this one about right. I knew we couldn’t beat them, but am proud that we at least made it a game until the end. PLEASE NOTE that this was the SECOND CLOSEST game GU has had ALL YEAR! BYU put up a good fight.

Good analysis. However, I would say that with a 7’3” Haarms, you have to put him in position to be a force on offense. Get some 2 man games where he’s on the block or pops out for an outside shot.
On defense, he doesn’t get in position well to block out. But, others get in and do a good job on the boards.

Few never puts his team on auto, they put themselves on auto and you can see Few getting in their face and yapping at them. But when you have 20-40 point leads game in and game out-it’s understandable. Barcelona kept BYU within shouting distance