Gonzaga is a more formidable opponent

No problem-i really like cantaloupes! And I did say 9/10 refs would have called a foul. The commentators from ESPN called no contact, but of course they don’t have your esp quad glasses, so whatever. I would have called a foul. Superior quickness, superior depth, superior coaching

Not only did he slap both wrists, he hit with the body too. Jim agrees with me. So do others. Don’t care about the commentators.

Now that I can’t see much anymore and maybe it is a good thing that I don’t watch many sports anyway. It is no fun when refs are not doing their job in all sports. Both football and basketball there are too many no & bad calls today. And refs took away the fun of sports. Why we don’t see conferences and NCAA doing anything about it to clean up their poor job. One of these days we may no longer have refs doing the job and let some computer do the call. I know it sounds stupid but something need to change.

Amazing few days later the NFL and Refs admit the missed call in this NO Saints & LA Rams pass interference. And too bad they can’t reverse that after the game ended. Did they do anything to those refs which we don’t know. Then Saints deserve to be in the Super Bowl. Again, it took away the enjoyment in sports.

The Zags is a very good team for sure and wish them well in the ncaa run.

Or 6000 Gonzaga fans. But it case you have a learning disability, I said I would have called the foul also.

Most people who are for Gonzaga of course would not call the foul. As far as what you would do, why then are you arguing with us?

Which brings us back around to the point of the discussion. The officials are not supposed to be for either team. Their responsibility is to be fair and objective, use advantage/disadvantage as a basis for their calls and not allow the hype and excitement of a game to affect them.

The crew for this game wasn’t able to do that. They got caught up in the emotion and frenzy of the game and lost their ability to be objective and fair. Was it the difference? No. In a closer game it could have been.

On another note, the “nose”, whom we have mentioned in other discussions as one of those officials who struggles to be fair and objective in BYU’s games, like the one he did last night, is doing the game between Arizona and Stanford in Tucson tonight. My point of saying this is that the wcc officials come from the same pool of officials that do Pac 12, MWC and other western region games. The officials develop a history with the coaches and teams and that is why I don’t like our team complaining so much. In last nights game I thought the coaches and players were doing good in this area but when the officials did nothing to keep the game fair and objective I think the technicals and complaints were warranted. It was nonsense.

Im-just trying to follow your line of logic. If 6000 Gonzaga fans interpret it as being a clean block, but 6000 or 600 BYU fans consider it a foul, who is right. Well of course you think you’re right about everything, no matter how many people are telling you that you are completely clueless, you will believe you are correct. The amusing thing is, that if BYU would have made the block, it changes the situation entirely. Only Hawks would grouse about the refs being unfair to Gonzaga. The bottom line is that it wasn’t a foul because it wasn’t called as a foul by the crew who officiated the game, no matter what anyone else believes. Hawks is respected because he has objectivity, which is something we should all have. It’s a lot like people like so many people that think that Rose has run his course at BYU. It’s based on a collective body of work over the last 4 or 5 years, not because BYU lost one or two games. It’s a sound critique by knowledgeable people that see a problem in the program and it certainly isn’t criticizing the prophet, it’s sports plain and simple. So chill Hopper and bend like the grass in the wind

No doubt, you see it on every level from middle school through the NBA. You see it in the dog pound and the Marriot Center. It takes a special official to not get caught up it the frenzy, but they are out there, just not too many. It’s one of the reasons I’m not enamored with the NBA anymore-it’s too contrived

Excellent points and well made. It wasn’t called a foul. If it had been BYU making the block I probably would have been hesitant to say it was a foul by justifying it somehow. The truth is that it was a foul. Only a completely clean block is obviously not a foul. Baxter had several “clean” blocks where he made no contact with the other player. On this particular foul, Kispert blocked the shot but it was not a clean, no contact block. He made lots of contact with Baxter, on his hand, arms and with his body. I believe that is a foul. Most close contact blocked shots are fouls and are called. This officiating crew was caught up in the fervor and fast pace of the game and they weren’t reacting quick enough or alert enough to whistle that foul.

I believe that is an accurate statement and I would have called Kispert for the foul, but, as you have stated, it had zero impact on the outcome, or the premise that Gonzaga, at this point has a far superior program than BYU, including the coaching staff. If people complain about being in the Rec league, how does consistently finishing 3rd justify you being in anything better

My comment was about the 6,000 fans of Gonzaga. But, I agree that someone should flick that big nose. When I was 8, at my uncle’s wedding reception, a great uncle was talking to me. All I saw was his big Jewish nose. And, I flicked it :laughing::astonished:

I just want to point out something that maybe some of you thought you saw but maybe didn’t see the whole thing in last nights game. I know the Gonzaga fans, the announcers and sports center top 10 dorks didn’t see it so I need to defend Nick Emery for a minute.

In last nights game there was a length of the court drive by a Gonzaga player that made the top 10 for sports center that showed Nick Emery stumbling and looking silly trying to defend the guy, who went all the way and scored a layup. At about the free throw line Nick made a move to get in front of the guy and stumbled past him because “HE STEPPED ON LUKE WORTHINGTON’S FOOT” and lost his own footing. It wasn’t the guys move that crossed Nick up, it was Luke getting in the way and then not getting there to defend the layup in time, which was no surprise.

I tell the truth. I give props when they are warranted and I get after players when it is warranted. That was not Nicks’ fault but he took it like a man, hairstyle and all. :grinning:

Maybe Worthington couldn’t get there in time because Emery stepped on his foot
And prevented him from moving. The GU player simply caused the collision with his move. So, Emery wasn’t to blame and neither was Luke.

There you go again, making an uninformed comment about something you haven’t watched and probably don’t even remember. Hopper… come on man, try to keep up here, that isn’t how it happened.

Your comments and M.O. are nauseating.

You can bet your bottom $$ that most of that crew will never see another playoff game. espcecially that ref.

Amen. Like I said about the Gonzaga game, I had little to say about the blowout, refs had very little to do with the outcome. They know it too so I let it slide. The game that I cared about, enough to point it out BEFORE, During and after is simply this: Rose had the season locked up for 2nd place, it was a marker game with everything on the line, 14 point lead with the finish line in sight and he just let it turn from a trickle into a landslide. Both from a substitution and a coaching observation. Those games should get you fired. FIRED and yet the good ol boy network lets it slide and we are stuck in the 3rd place in the WCC year after year.

For those of you that believe that it is because of the REC LEAGUE, or the honor code, please…don’t insult us. We have a paper trail of favoritism, revolving door of great talent leaving, Mr basketball vs athlete recruiting. Local vs. worldwide recruiting. Taking 4 star recruits and turning them into 2 star players, 0 development of big men. Enough- Rose has got to go. period.

We were in the big dance year after year and now we get excited to play in the NIT? please…….

Oh and just in case you missed the last sentence, read this:

Hawks:
I loved then Baxter got “blocked,” as the defender hit him hard across BOTH wrists. DR goes crazy, as he should have. It was a 20 point game at that point, and Big Nose and his buddies were LOVING and I mean LOVING being on ESPN. They LOVED letting that “block” stand, because when the crowd went wild, they felt like the crowd was cheering for them. I’m not even kidding about this. I have always thought that BN and the old guy with short white hair are two of the lowest character officials I’ve ever seen. I say this because their attitudes and histrionics remind me of MLB umpires who are CLEARLY out of control on power trips when the cameras are on them. I don’t think that it’s that it’s because the officials couldn’t handle the crowd, rather they simply wanted to be a part of it. And the officials in the Rec League don’t like DR anyway, so once he starts complaining, they love baiting him (like the “bench technical” earlier in the game??? haha that one was pretty funny). I muted my TV while the WCC commissioner was talking–I literally didn’t hear a word she said. But here’s what I predict she said:

1. We are more committed than ever.
  2. Our presidents are making a massive financial investment into basketball facilities.
  3. Our level of play is better than ever.
  4. Sure Gonzaga is an outlier, but the rest of the league is really really good with lots of competitive teams.
  5. The WCC is on the rise and people are taking notice.

Was I close???

I am best friends with an upper level D1 athletic administrator who knows Mark Few very well. He says Mark Few is as good a MAN that he has met, bar none, in D1 sports. No way Mark Few is a scumbag “paying his players.” Kids want to play for Mark Few because he IS Mark Few. Same reason kids wanted to play for Lavell Edwards when they could have played at USC or UCLA.

why would you even address the Hopper? Insinuating that Few cheats is typical hopper hysterics. Along with his latest post about Childs and Baxter not being physically fit…come on, man. If anything, Childs would bang with anyone in America. and Baxter? He has some impressive lats, I personally know they both lift together. I don’t waste my time with Hopper because all Narcists care about is winning arguments. I will listen to anyone with good points and certainly knowledge or research.

BTW, at this point, I would be playing Harding over Emery, get em ready for next year.

per Wrubell: BYU since joining WCC, KenPom tier gms–
'11-12: 11 (2-4 Tier A; 3-2 Tier B)
'12-13: 10 (2-7; 1-0)
'13-14: 15 (5-6; 2-2)
'14-15: 12 (1-5; 4-2)
'15-16: 9 (1-4; 2-2)
'16-17: 9 (1-5; 2-1)
'17-18: 9 (0-3; 3-3)
'18-19: 13 (0-7; 4-2)
Tier A: 12-41
Tier B: 21-14

BYU seeds at WCC tournament–

2011-12: 3
2012-13: 3
2013-14: 2
2014-15: 2
2015-16: 3
2016-17: 3
2017-18: 3
2018-19: will be 2, 3 or 4

WCC all-league teams are announced next week. First Team has 10 players, and I’d go right away with these nine–including four Zags:

Hachimura
Clarke
Perkins
Norvell, Jr.
Ford
Fitts
Haws
Childs
Ferrari