Gonzaga part 3, keys to the loss

It’s funny in the SMC game, 2 of the same refs and GU gets called for 16 fouls versus SMC 11-guess they liked SMC better👍

We are talking about BYU, not another darling of the WCC. GU had to stay perfect for the league’s glory and purpose. It’s just about the 13 more made free throws. It’s about the momentum killer each time BYU would make a run.

Unfortunately the FACTS of what happened, in other words the statistical numbers, point to the reality of what we are saying. The difference is that this was a CLOSE game and the FACT that one team was called for half of the number of fouls and shot 20 free throws more makes a huge difference. Had it been a blow out by Gonzaga, the number of fouls and free throws would not have mattered at all. The comparison to the Gonzaga-St. Mary’s game is not relevant because that was a BLOWOUT by Gonzaga. Do you recognize the difference?

So no, they are not comparable. Look at ALL the statistics for the game, they are nearly identical for BYU and Gonzaga… EXCEPT the large disparity in fouls called and free throws given. If you compare the statistics for the GU vs St. Mary’s game there are big differences in several categories so the number of fouls called was irrelevant. I hope you can understand where I am coming from… it is a problem with the WCC and officials who hold BYU to a different standard than the teams they play.

Nope, you are not understanding the point SR. GU blew SMC out in their game so the number of fouls made no difference. The statistics in favor of Gonzaga with regards to FG %, rebounds and assists were heavily in favor of GU. Also, in spite of your 16 to 11 number, St. Mary’s actually shot more free throws than Gonzaga. We can take away 8 free throws (I don’t think it was that many) at the end of the BYU-GU game for intentional fouls and GU still shot 3 times as many free throws (19-7) as BYU did.

Sorry, but that statistic is so obviously biased and glaring it can’t be ignored.

Also, just a side note… if you were watching the game. The better BYU played, the more fouls were called on them. Why? Why were those calls made when they were mostly inconsequential and didn’t affect the game at the time they were called? Because a foul call and play stoppage often slows the momentum of one team. The fact that BYU was up 12 was a huge problem for the WCC and the officials. The numerous comebacks in the second half were aided by the refs for sure, yet BYU was still close with 4 minutes to go. Because of this nonsense, I would not be shocked to see a very good Gonzaga team not make it past the sweet 16.

They have a false sense of how good they are…

The last point is a good one. It’s probably why the WCC Commissioner made a signal to the refs so that GU could be looked at with high esteem with the NCAA, the committee and the national officials. A loss would have changed all that love GU is getting. Now, I don’t know if she did that. I wasn’t at the game. But, it has to be in the mind of the refs during the games. Let BYU do it’s thing in the 1st half but stop BYU in the 2nd half.

When we face Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament in a few weeks, we will win.

1 Like

Gonzaga has it’s weaknesses and they are in the post. Timme is an outstanding post player, but after that it’s big and fast athletic guards. If Gonzaga loses it will be to an athletic, long team, that is where they fall short. No I don’t believe in your conspiracy theory and you’ve propagated it for a long time and that’s fine-it’s your theory-not mine. BYU lost this game because they shot 26% in the second half-end of story. If they would have shot a mediocre 40%, they probably win. You are right-you can’t compare SMC to BYU. SMC has two guards that can get to the basket and score or draw fouls. Logan Johnson lived at the foul line. They also have a tall slow front court, which is why they weren’t real successful. This is an irrelevant argument and I’ve seen a lot of games with ft disparity and a lot of it has to do with how a team runs the offense-whether they Jack a ton of 3’s or whether they aggressively take the ball to the hoop. In the end, the refs didn’t miss the shots and didn’t make the turnovers, but it was still a heck of a game and Gonzaga was fortunate to win, so hopefully we can let this rest and get on to the tournament and hopefully a good run for BYU and Gonzaga

Both great ideas…
I hope beyond hope that BYU and the Zags meet again…that would most likely mean Pope’s boys have overplayed their seed of course…but what are dreams if they are not dreamy.

Yeah, Barcello and Averette cant do that… LOL!

And neither did BYU. Like I said, the statistical categories were nearly identical except for the fouls and huge disparity in free throws. It’s a shame the officials had to have such a big influence in that. You are right, the refs didn’t miss the shots or make turnovers, but the players don’t call their own fouls so the officials are going to do what they are going to do.

That would only happen if they make it to the final four, which won’t happen. Maybe the committee makes a dumb mistake and puts them in the same bracket.