Hmm... looks like somebody took the words out of my mouth

We are talking about defense here! Sure there are some techniques and a small learning curve that can take place with systems, methods, etc. but the primary factor in good defense is E-F-F-O-R-T.

We saw that BYU could play good defense on occasion. It wasn’t something special that they learned or some new technique, it was all about effort! When Guinn was doing so well on the top of that 1-3-1 it was because he gave maximum effort. Haws, Emery, Mika, Bryant… all of them, would do way better defensively if they gave maximum effort on the defensive end. The problem is that they don’t. That is a big problem with this team!

So stop with the “uggs” and try to comprehend what is being said. Not every team would win 30 games and not all athletes work as hard as some. A guy with average talent and a strong work ethic can accomplish a lot. A talented player who is lazy on D… well, we saw it all season long.

On the defensive side, effort is a huge factor.

Disagree they don’t give effort… It takes time and experience to play good team defense. You should know that! Those 3rd graders you coached should have given you that understanding :slight_smile:

There are so many other teams in D-1 who have players who are playing together for the first time this season. The difference is they have bought into the team concept and they want to win so badly that they will give up their own game to do it. They work and find their role, they play hard and help each other on defense, they don’t blame their teammates for mistakes, they encourage one another, they are confident not arrogant. The time and experience thing at this level is overblown. There are young teams, inexperienced teams, etc. and they seem to do just fine because they do the things I mentioned. BYU is totally capable of the same… stop making excuses.

Those other teams don’t have players who haven’t played for two years either. Completely different circumstances. You can’t judge BYU with other teams because of the long layoff. Bryant didn’t play last year either and was hurt for much of this season. They aren’t arrogant.

THE FOLLOWING IS A QUOTE FROM THAWK - WARNING BEWARE OF UNSOURCED RUMORS!!!

“There is no wonder the chemistry is terrible on this team. The rumors are coming out that both of these two treat certain teammates with contempt. Emery is a cancer and Haws is a cry baby who lets things that go wrong ruin his game…”

This sounds like the kind of speculation we used to hear all the time from that guy who had an alleged contact in the AD office. I wonder if thawk is that other guy. Probably not, just a coincidence. Whenever somebody starts referencing unsourced rumors I generally disregard the rest of what they say.

Show me a source for this kind of gossip or otherwise it borders on slander, not in a legal sense, but in a sense of general decency unless there is some hard evidence.

1 Like

Thawks is a legend in his own mind. It really doesn’t matter if players like each other. Kobe wasn’t liked by many of his teammates and neither was Jordan. The only thing that matters is that they produce. And they are producing as much and more than the other 12 players in the team. Thawks and Hawks argue about things that don’t matter :wink:

Reed, Glad you called Thawk out on this out and out BS.

It is one thing to say things off the cuff but to say that there are “unsourced rumors” of contention between LP boys and the team is another. I know Tom Larimer has inside connections and he has never alluded to anything on the basketball blog. I have personally watched a practice, which I reported on, zero contention on the team.

I call it as I see it. BYU suffers from youth and injuries, nothing more. I could go into detail about how Beo does not even look for his shot…for a guy that lead the state of Washington as the POY, all I can say is this is strange to me. The only thing I really don’t understand at this time is why Dastrup, who is finally getting into shape, cannot get floor time, because he clearly has all the skills that made him a top 100 player.

I am still clueless of why he hasn’t been use much. Maybe tonight he’ll play more and same to other guys on the bench. Those three injury guys will be cheerleading tonight. :slight_smile:

He did okay last couple games. I didn’t see much skill. He was out of position to get rebounds and he spent time on offense backing up to 3 point land. I don’t remember him leaving the ground. Can he jump?

This is the real puzzler for me too. Kind of like Nate Austin only a season earlier…But in HS Beo did mostly defense his frosh year then worked on his offense after that…maybe that is still his plan?

I watched Beo warm up before the first St Mary’s game. He was one-step two-hand dunking several times in succession. He’s got hops. The thing that surprises me about his game is his poor scoring production and poor FT shooting. I’ll wager that he goes on a mission after the season.

Maybe…he may try to score more tonight…

You know the thing that is really “surprising” and “puzzling” to me, the thing that is “strange” and the thing that I “really don’t understand”… ?

Is how every one of you guys can say the same basic thing but somehow not be able to put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4…

It’s the BASKETBALL CULTURE that is currently in place. That is the problem. I’ll keep saying it until I see it change on the court and/or until someone else acknowledges it… at least someone besides thawk, who probably has more understanding of what is going on than the rest of us combined. Also, what inside information does Larimer have? I’ve never heard him say anything about that.

If there is such a thing…Beo does not even look at the basket. Is there such a thing as over coaching a kid? Or does he have no confidence. puzzler.

No confidence. Horrible passes. He’s just not ready for prime time.

I think we can all agree on the basketball culture at BYU. Rose plays no defense. That is the true reason why we are all wound up here.

As to your Bromance with Thawk:
Are you saying that Reed Omer does not know what he is talking about? All the years I have been on this board, you have said nothing but gushing things to say about him…so he calls out THawk for his BS and it is BS to say that the team does not get along or there is major contention between the LP guys vs. the rest of the team. I have with my own eyes seen the team practice. I have also stated that Larimer has family in the Athletic office so I think we would know if something was going on. But to spread rumors without a true source to serious fans (I think we all qualify) comes across as a guy (THawk) that I would not trust.

:-~
Only names that end with Hawks understand. Pride is the …
Let’s change that during dead time. Only those peoples whose names end with “man” have true understanding. :grinning:
Please explain what you mean by “culture” ol’ Obe Juan Kobe! I’m sure we will get the same non-answer as we did with “accountability” too :wink:

Excellent call-out :slight_smile:

I’ll ask you the same questions did of Sir Hawk. What do you mean specifically about this “culture” thing?

I’ve done this very thing literally dozens of times. Sorry, you get no more explanations.

I also explained accountability so no more for you. In fact, if I’ve explained something you don’t understand once, I’ve done it multiple times yet you still don’t get it. Sorry, no more chances.

The BYU basketball team as it currently operates is the “emperor” and the fans here on cougarfan are his subjects… except for one or two of us.

We are the kid at the parade who isn’t afraid to shout “the emperor has no clothes”. It’s fine if the rest of you want to pretend that there is nothing wrong… seriously, it’s just fine.