Holker leaving the team per D-News

Honesty is a good thing… BUT having different standards for different areas of your life is never a good thing. Either you believe something or you don’t

Did you look at the link I provided? Where is your link to prove it wrong.
byu2

BYU 1

According to the depth chart (depending on which one you use)
Tight Ends are Holker and Rex
Running backs are Brooks, Kotoa, Davis and Wake
Receivers are Roberts, Epps, Hill, Cosper, Nacua, Fall

I will admit that Wake plays both RB and TE… I have not seen him line up as TE so far.

Yes, Wake is a tight end. 19.

In today’s Deseret News article Wake is a Runing back:

" Fullbacks Masen Wake and Houston Heimuli meet with the tight ends and could also see increased playing time."

BYU football: Does BYU have depth to overcome loss of Dallin Holker? - Deseret News

Wake is considered a fullback and tight end. He has some skills and is a better blocker than Holker for sure but won’t get downfield as well.

So, the question is, did Wake catch those 5 as a tight end or FB. SN says he was a TE.

We agreed on quite a lot of things. And, thank you for my comment at the end. If he had his doubts before the season began, he should have quit back during the summer. Quitting during the season after a loss at Oregon is pathetic. Good riddance. I’m sure he will be a great bishop at some point…

Having looked at a couple of articles, I think Aro is on to something when he says his dad may be pushing the transfer. Either that or he and his son have talked about a transfer for more than just the past three days.

Absolutely! Should have been done before the season began. Quitting in the middle of a job is a bad precedent.

Does he complain about targets on twitter? :rofl:

I think you meant to say tweener… as being between two different types of players. This is what happens when we live in the era of the news being whatever someone is tweeting about or how many people are following something. It’s a mess.

Yeah I mean tweener. I looked up Holker and I found He is 6’4” and 240 so I guess he really isn’t a tweener. For some reason l thought he weighed about 220-225. Roderick said he didn’t see it coming. I still think this transfer may have been instigatech by the father because hasn’t said anything about it that has been reported in the press. His father was the one who confirmed this. This is just speculation.

I think Rex is the better player of the two and with him getting healthier maybe Holker saw his role diminishing further.

Yea but he does “Watch out DB’s, Freight train coming through!” LOL

Yea they interviewed him on TV about it…
Classic Coach quote “I don’t worry about making players happy, I am paid to win games”.

I will say that if Holker did not talk to the coaches about his issues, then I have less respect for the kid. If you are not happy, talk to the coach and let him know about your concerns. At least “man up” and be honest to the people around you.

Hmmm…the precise words I’ve been using :+1:
The idea of quitting during the season suggests a bigger issue potentially. Depression? Possible Honor Code situation? Just throwing this out there because of the timing and the coaches not knowing…

The difference is that I waited for the information to come out BEFORE making judgement.

I wish you would stop using the “mental health” tag on everything. This type of behavior is generally associated with one of two things:

1. The player has an “Entitled” Attitude
  2. Over active Parents who thinks their child is the next Pro star.

Entitled attitude and overactive parents are both possibilities. It wouldn’t be the first time a player left a program for one, or both, of those reasons.

Roderick didn’t say he hadn’t talked to Holker, but it appears that if he did it was after Holker had said he was leaving because Roderick said he was blindsided by the announcement. That doesn’t sound like a situation where Holker had talked to Roderick and told him he was unhappy with his role. When Roderick was asked if he had talked to Holker he said he didn’t have anything more to say. So if they had a discussion it was likely after Holker made his announcement. Roderick said he liked Holker and had nothing negative to say about him. I think he is handling this with a lot of class.

Actually, I’m simply more perceptive than you. I see the problem before you do. This is pretty obvious now.
Most athletes view themselves that they are either the best or can become the best. So, that isn’t the perceive answer. Father is either realizing there is a bigger issue going on with his son or dollar signs are in the father’s eyes.
So, this is a personal challenge with the young man. The pressure got to him in some way to quit in the middle of the season. Depression, a girl, honor code, dad pressure…

Or thought about his long term future, or talked to other important people in his life or prayed about it…
You can’t always judge through your own lens Herr Hopper. We don’t know 10% of it.
BTW, he may have done none of the things I threw out there - just don’t know.

I seriously doubt what you gave as a reason. He quit leaving the entire team with a huge hole to fill during the actual season. That is not being honest in his business dealings with all the coaches and players if you want to go down the prayer holier than though rabbit hole. I seriously doubt it had anything to do with his job seeking future in the NFL which would mean he did this for his own present day needs mental or whatever. While sending him a good riddance note, I’m also cognizant of his need at this time, He may end up returning.

often a nosey father is right in the thick of things. Nacua, “the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.”

As they should be. but with our WR are injured, I am shocked that we don’t go to the tight ends way more then we did on the Baylor, Oregon games.

For being called the 5th best Oline in America pre season, these guys have been stellar in pass defense but underwhelming in the run game.

Well said, for anyone complaining about BYU transfers, stats will tell you that BYU has better retention them most D1 schools.

OK, this brings me to my final point. The role of the TE is 2 fold. The 1st priority is to “Block”. the 2nd is to catch passes. Rex will tell you that he needs to work on blocking, while I don’t know about Holker’s blocking skills, I would guess that he is in the same boat.

I am not OK with a kid transferring when your team needs you. Selfish. But I wish him luck.

And that is the real question. Why transfer 3 games into the season and leave your team hanging. BYU will be alright without Holker. But what is his real reason and is he going to transfer?