Hoops roster and Erickson

JCoug, you make a good point. BYU needs to widen the net. But there is something about Coach Pope people should know: kids REALLY want to play for him. I mean the guy is a magnet. As in REALLY REALLY compelling to young people. Of course Pope is gonna get the low hanging fruit: kids he coached at UVU and the best local LDS kids. But I think we will see the net get a lot wider (Exhibit 1: Matt Haarms). BYU was MIRED IN MEDIOCRITY FOR 8 YEARS post Jimmer, and Pope flipped the script IN MONTHS and made BYU nationally relevant again. In less than 2 years he has beaten out Duke, Kentucky, UNC and everyone else for Toolson and Haarms, flipped 2 PAC12 players (Barcello and Lohner), and gotten AB, a mid major star, to come to BYU. At this point, if Pope tells me a 6’3" local kid who can put his bicep on the rim is THE MAN, I’m buying.

You need to broaden your information highway. On Sports Nation, they interviewed Wahlin. He did play point. Like Lebron plays point. Was TJ really a point guard. They had 4 on the floor that could start the offense at any given time. This is a different era. Catch up.

I just listened to Wahlin’s interview, and the portion of Pope’s interview where he comments on Wahlin.

Wahlin says in high school he’s the tallest player on his team so he’s been forced to play in the paint. But that his future is as a guard, which is what he spends his skill development time on.
Pope says that he expected, like you, that Wahlin would be on the wing, but that in watching video of Wahlin he’s seen him playing point and that he looks forward to that…

Pope like’s taller players at every position. a big 6 10 wing like Lowell with Wahlin as a 6 7 point would be interesting…

Wait, is this the same Toolson that played at BYU last season? The one that was at UVU with Pope previously? If so, yes he is a good player, but to say BYU beat Duke, Kentucky and UNC to get him to transfer down the parkway is a bit misleading. He was not going to any of those other schools, trust me. Whatever interest was shown or made was token and nothing more. Nevertheless, he was a really good player.

Pope definitely gets the most out of the players he coaches, no doubt about that.

BYU sports nation is the Hopper’s source for all the up to date and accurate information about BYU sports. No bias, no hype, just straight up to the minute information. :wink:

Toolson was WAC conference POY and an honorable mention All American at UVU. He had actual offers from Duke, UVA, UNC, and legitimate interest from UK. He was viewed as one of the top grad transfers in the entire country–he was not quite good enough for the NBA, but good enough to be the difference maker in many games–which he did over and over and over again all season. His ability to post up and physically dominate smaller guards, combined with Jimmer range from deep, made him a welcome addition to any D1 team. My point was really just to emphasize what a great recruiter we have in Mark Pope.

They interview everyone. It’s the best place to get accurate information…

It is true that Wahlin’s father made him work on guard skills and that he was projected to be a point until he grew about a foot in one year. That is a big reason why he is so good off the dribble.

Anyhow, He is headed off on a mission for 2 years. Ericson is the hear and now and will be used a bunch this year.