I found an interesting look at BYU season

Were you in Q-Hall?

The one facing the road to the south. I think it was W hall?

I was in Q Hall at DT in my freshman year 1979.

I think the 2 DT halls facing south were W and V. Not positive but I think V hall was the “honors” hall. I believe that V hall got “pennied” in one night and they couldn’t get out of their rooms until they called the BYU police to come rescue them. That was 1984 -85 and the detectives were interviewing all the Q hall guys who were suspected of pulling the prank off. Not sure that anyone was ever caught but that Q hall also built a water balloon launcher that could hit the Marriott Center and it’s parking lot from the top of DT roof. One kid got kicked out for launching during a exit devotional and hitting people.

Well I was certainly not in an “honors hall.” I’m laughing just thinking about it. My buddies and I were a bunch of jocks and just a bunch of idiotic dopes. We matured and grew out of it but that freshman year was pretty savage. I won’t go into some of the stupid (but still hilarious) stunts my buddies and I pulled in W hall that year. 2 or 3 guys on my intramural basketball team got put on probation by the honor code police for one particularly awesome and terrible stunt on another floor of our dorm, but they refused to rat me out. I remember the stuff about the locks being pennied in one of DT and also remember my buddies and I were mad we hadn’t thought of it first.

Oh, 1979…killer to lose 38-37 to Indiana and lose a perfect season! But a fun season to be living on campus to share in the excitement of going 11-0 during the regular season. BYU had a lot of good players on that team!

Dew- I lived in Q-Hall 618 when Tom was there in 84.

I think Q was for the smarter guys and W was the dumb jock dorm. I recruited quite the intramural basketball team in W–we all served missions…added 3 other really good players after my mission but kept 4 of the original 5 together for 4 seasons. Those were good times. Except for the part about my little brother being able to dunk on me when he got to BYU…

My dad was visiting the apostate Jew (me) and we were watching the game on TV. As the kicker started to kick the ball, I inched forward ready to jump to my feet run to the patio and cheer and sing the fight song as it was going to be played over the school loud speaker system. ( l was in Wymount Terrace). But, then the muffed kick and having to sit back and pout. Uggg… Took my dad and brother to a BYU-Long Beach game in 1982. He died a year later.

We took the intermural champs two years in a row. 80-81. Had some D1 grads on the team, our center started for Princeton. Wymount Terrace.

September 8, 1979 in the q hall I was heading to laundry room in the basement that afternoon and heard many guys yelling and screaming with celebration in beating Texas A&M 18 to 17. You see I was not aware about BYU sports but I am a big fan to SF 49ers and Oakland Raiders. Yes I went to BYU because to get an education and finding my sweetheart. On that day we have this big win over Texas A&M was a big surprise that BYU do really play big-time Sports and I do remember one of our player broke his neck and Mark Wilson was the quarterback I have never forgotten about that. During my time at BYU through 1984 were the best time of my life there in many ways. I only stayed at the DT for two years.

No I did not know about this launching water balloons to the Marriott Center all the way from the top of the DT tower. Really? Launching over the parking lot and including the museum building which was a long way. Hit the bell tower too?

1 Like

I was living on the seventh floor in the single person room On the honor students floor and one late night they were dressing up whatever they were wearing while I was sleeping And I heard a bouncing ball on the floor that woke me up and I grab it from them the ball. They knock on my door asking to have the ball back and I joked saying that I threw it out the window. But anyway they were all good guys.