I love this new coaching staff

Wow! These are all such bad things to do in a world of wickedness and idol worshipping. BM doing as the scriptures teach is bad?
Perhaps the way Sataki will do the same things just won’t be out in the open as much. But, regardless of being a coach, he has the same priorities as does BM.

I agree that not practicing before games enough is a bad idea. But, that isn’t because of trying to be a faithful member of the Church. That had nothing to do with it.

And, Sataki will not practice on Sunday’s.

grasshopper:

"I agree that not practicing before games enough is a bad idea. But, that isn’t because of trying to be a faithful member of the Church. That had nothing to do with it.

“And, Sataki will not practice on Sunday’s.”

What is in your head??? Who ever, ever, ever mentioned on this board anhything about playing or practicing on Sunday as being considered? What are you doing.

As far as taking a family outing on the bye week before playing the Utah game that we were favored to win by 7, but instead lost by seven, was at least in part, to back up all that he has continually been saying that
"Football is not all that important in the Theme of things. Moist important being God, Church, Education,

Family, and maybe after fireside chats, football might be next. He was backing up those words by publizing that just before the big rivarly game vs. Utah, He was taking a family outting.

BYU Football deserves better than that. Sorry, but that is my opinion. I respect your opposite opinion coming from you. Please respect my perception also. Neither of us, you nor I, am qualified to tell the other
which opinion, yours or mine is right or wrong.

There is always a natural tendency to think the current program is better than the last. We are always optimistic that the program keeps taking steps forward. I was appreciative of many of the things Bronco did. I think he is an outstanding defensive coach and good motivator in the sense that his players played very hard for him. I like how he instituted the fireside program and that he was able to touch the lives of certain players. Bronco, in my opinion, was like a CEO. He was very efficient with his time and he knew the value of time. He wanted time with his family so he needed to be focused when he was at the office. I doubt that he was ever caught “chewing the fat” around the water cooler with fans or assistant coaches. Because he was so focused and guarded with his time, he didn’t endear himself to fans like Edwards did or even Sitaki so far. Bronco has different skills and strengths compared to Sitake. I think we can cheer for Sitake without diminishing the contribution Bronco had on the program.

1 Like

Glen,

Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate your love and your support for the outgoing coach as it reminds me of the love and support that I have for our new coach and his staff.

I agree with all the good that you say about Bronco. I agree with your statement,
“he didn’t endear himself to fans like Edwards did or even Sitaki so far.”

I Agree with your statement: " Bronco has different skills and strengths compared to Sitake".
and I would also say the same thing in an opposite manner: “Sitake has different skills and strengths compared to Bronco”

I see Bronco’s greatest strengths as a DC and promoter of the Church and Church values, however, I also believe that his approached, among those especially outside the Church, backfired on him and promoted more hate on the internet than I have ever known before.

We have been labled as the most arrogant, the biggest hypocrites, the most pompas, etc. etc, etc. I do believe that Bronco intentially brought most of that on us along with his followers that adopted this attitude that it is up to us to teach the coaches of other teams, the other teams themselves, and the fans of other teams what is moral and what is not.

If you wonder where i am coming from, sign onto Discus now. Not tomorrow, but now.

In comparison, Satake says, I am not the teams Elder. I am not their Bishop. I am not their (what ever).
I am their coach. That is what I am going to do. I am going to coach. I like that.

Most football fans, inside and outside of our own program will like that. We will be criticised, yes, far far less often and with much less hate than before because Satake is not setting himself up as the moral leader for all others to follow.

Withing the Church, Bronco may be the better for his approach. Outside the Church, the other 300 million would give the first place to Satake for not setting himself up for failure. That’s my opinion, and as different as it may seem, I also respect your opinion.

BYU was known as arrogant hypocrites back in the 8o’s and Bronco wasn’t here then so don’t blame him.

I think Bronco was always a little guarded on socializing because he was awkward socially. When he tried to loosen up a bit, it came across un-natural and forced. That’s not a criticism, just a characterization. Not many people are as natural with the public as Sitake and Edwards. I credit Bronco for trying but I think he would readily admit it was one of his weaknesses. I give Bronco credit for doing his job the best he knew how. I am sure the first mandate he got was to clean-up a scandal ridden program and make the team exemplary of what the Church stands for. Some think he may have taken that a little too far but he did the best he could to meet the mandate of BYU administrators. He tried to get better at things but he also followed Lavell’s advice to try to be himself and not someone else. I am sure that in ten years we’ll find plenty of ways that Sitake can improve. Coaches need a thick skin because no matter what, every coach will have their detractors. I remember when Lavell took callers’ comments after games. Even he had his detractors.

Glenn, I agree with much of what you posted. I was ready for Bronco to leave, not because he was a bad coach but because I believe he had leveled off as a head coach, here at BYU. I sincerely wish him success in Va. I think some folks WAYYYY overstate Bronco’s assertion that football falls 5th or 6th in priority, not understanding or not willing to understand the context in which Bronco uttered those words. I am very certain that Bronco never tried to lecture or teach other coaches / players on morals or religion. I do think Bronco tried to be a good example of a Christian lifestyle - imagine how awful that is, to do that and at a LDS institution nonetheless. Just shocking.

I would like to see concrete, black and white proof that Bronco’s behavior with regard to morals or religiosity actually led to more hate or disdain for BYU or BYU football. Indeed, disdain for the LDS religion, LDS members, BYU and BYU athletics was being voiced before Bronco was even born. I cannot recall Bronco ever stating that he was BYU’s Elder, Bishop or any other Church leader for the football program. I also cannot recall Bronco promoting himself as the moral leader for ALL others to follow (seems like that’s some thing for Jesus). I know that is far, far more important for us Church members who are also fans of the football program to be much more concerned about the perception of non-members than actual members of the Church. Worldliness is our motto, for sure. We don’t want no stinkin morality or religious crap to intrude into our sacred football. Football has it’s place and morality has it’s place. Morality / religious stuff should be practiced in the home and not in the public square.

As for other details of his coaching methods (and I had some complaints too), why don’t those of us who won’t let that stuff go, acquire the head coaching position at a D1 college and see how they do with some of those details. How dare a HC experiment with different methods to get a FB team to perform better. Lavell “stepped in it” many times, Bronco did also and I bet Sitake does too.

Bravo!! A very thoughtful post. I can’t think of much I would disagree with, if anything. I liked Bronco and thought he was a good, if flawed coach. I don’t think people started having issues with him until he quit winning 10-11 games per year like he did from 2006-2009 and when he quit beating Utah. He won 3 out of the 4 Utah games during that 2006-2009 stretch. When the program fell off a bit people started grumbling about the firesides and Bronco trying to play Bishop. I think that was a lot of grasping at straws. There were other reasons for the decline in the program.

I hope Sitake turns out to be a better coach and I wish both the greatest success. Anybody coaching at BYU has a great challenge. The typical blue chip jock, even a lot who are LDS, is not going to be enamored about playing at a place like BYU. Recruiting will always be an issue and BYU will never be able to load up on 5 star recruits like Alabama or Ohio State. The best they can hope for is to start getting nearly all the good LDS kids they target like they did in the past and then they can consistently return to winning 10-11 games and drawing even with Utah. They will never be Alabama. Getting in the top 25 year after year, beating Utah at least every other year, and an occasional season like 1996 or 1984, and a visit to a BCS bowl occasionally is realistic and about the best we can hope for.

Isn’t that what the internet is all about these days?

Criticism and hate?

It’s terrible…

I use to love the call in radio shows on KSL with Coach Edwards. When Bronco became the new football coach he always seemed a little stiff and uncomfortable in conversations on the radio. He started to sound too academic in his answers. However, I was very impressed with his reach out to a family in Lehi, who were staunch BYU fans and lost a little boy in a run over accident. Bronco and a lot of the team leaders spent the day with this family. It was impressive, and I have a great deal of respect for Bronco and his players for what they did.

Grasshopper,

I totally agree with you on each sentence.

Wonder if Kalani will go back to the “Live” call in shows?

Jim, you make a good point.

I re-read my own post. It did sound more negative towards the outgoing coaching staff. It perhaps was my
subconscious mind more than my conscious mind printing. I accept the criticism and I will truly try to be more
careful about proof reading before posting.

I want to assure you that there is no intention of spreading hate in any form. I often become opinionated in
a way that perhaps does not go with the main stream. I enjoy reading ideas that are different from my own.
I often change my opinion based on what I learn from others, you included,

I want to make it clear that I do not hate Bronco, I rarely think of him anymore. I admire most about Bronco that
he gave his total effort to please the Church and the University and those that think the way he does.

I personally would rather hear all of his lectures from a Bishop, A stake Presidency member, A General Authority,
a missionary, a Sunday school teacher, a home teacher, or even a 2 1/2 minutes speaker.

I would rather here football from the head coach, I have been very frustrated with and even hated his slogans that came when I felt he should have been spending the time talking and planning football strategy instead of slogans, While I did not like some of the things that he repeatedly did, I never hated Bronco, I wish him well. At the same time, I love the new direction that our current staff is taking us and that has nothing to do with hating Bronco, which I do not.

Jim regarding your reply to G2 (A couple of interesting points that need to be made here -)

I totally agree with you and that is exactly the type of thing that I was trying to say when you thought that I was spreading hate.

I don’t think that either of us is trying to spread hate. I think that each of us sees, perhaps in different directions, that the outgoing coach has possibly hit his ceiling and we are each grateful that the current coaching staff is doing a great job with no ceiling in sight.

Perhaps after the the first game, vs. Arizona, each of us may change our minds, but I really am expecting great things from this current coaching staff and all the talent we have on our team, and Jim, this, on neither of our parts, has anything to do with hating the outgoing coach which neither or us do.