Jay Hill .... semiofficial

I was wondering will Coach Jay Hill be coaching for this next week bowl game?

If you read the article that is linked into this story, Kalani is actually the one that has determined that their recruiting style (Development Program) has to change. That in order to be competitive, we have to go after talented players (both portal and LOI’s).

Personally, I think we have the talent, we just don’t have the right coaching techniques teaching them. Jay Hill will solve part of that problem.

The recruiting style has been at BYU longer than Kalani being HC. This goes back to Bronco and his refusal to recruit Star athletes, but rather he wanted the player to convince him why he should give them a scholarship.

I think year poor performance may be a blessing in disguise, I think it forced Kalani in re-evaluating how he wants the program to be. From recruiting to holding coaches accountable to making sure the players are doing their jobs.

Talking Sports bobble head Hatch said that Kalani let go the Strength and Conditioning coaches. But I have not found any announcement or information about that.

S and C is critical in preventing injuries, So I hope Kalani takes a good look at that as well.

Hill will be observing and advising but not coaching. In yesterday’s press conference, Kalani said he didn’t think asking Hill to coach in a game would be fair so soon after leaving his previous job. He added that he would be coaching the defense and making the calls and would be aided by his grad assistants.

With Fennegan the probable starter, grad assistants taking on a larger role, and our season history, I hope for a victory but somehow it seems less probable every day.

Conover may have jumped the gun. If Hall can’t play then he might have gotten his opportunity to
shine and be the front runner next season.

Doubt it. Roderick would have used him if he wanted to. Now Conover is at ASU where his former high school coach is the qb coach

1 Like

Sitake to ARod …… your performance doesn’t justify your hand being out!

ARod back to Sitake, “I’m outta here.” :smiley:

ARod is already going to get a raise just because being in the Big12 money.

On this mornings BYU Sports Nation, Hill described his defensive philosphy:

“I’ve never been a guy who wants to sit back and bleed a slow death. That’s not me. I will play every guy at the line of scrimmage rather than sit there and let people pound us. That’s not my philosophy, but you have to have the guys to do that.”

Hill also mentioned that one of his top priorities is to meet the players presently on the team. All will come in on the same level and he will evaluate them from there.

2 Likes

Hill is all about being disruptive, FORCING the offense to make mistakes. Complete opposite of BYU philosophy the last 7 years, CONCEDING long drives, yards and first downs, HOPING the offense makes mistakes.

Isn’t that what Prime did at Colo? Everyone has to prove why they are here. Don’t care who your daddy is or what your pedigree is!

I would love for Hill to say something like, “I’m coming and I’m bringing my luggage with me and it’s Louis Vuitton.”

Alas, it’s two very different situations. All in all I’d rather be a part of BYU than Colorado.

1 Like

Prime’s welcome speech to the players at Colorado was the stuff of legends…

1 Like