Jimmy Mac put BYU on the map

If you are going that route, I would say Doug Scovil, who was the OC at the time of Wilson/McMahon/Young. LOL

I agree, I was good friends with the center (Bart Oates) for BYU during the time of McMahon/Young.
He had some interesting stories about McMahon and Young.

Of you can not leave off some of the great all time receivers over the years as well… Kozloski(sp?), Drage, Doman, Calhoun, etc. just to mention a few.

Oops my bad which I totally agree. Doug Scovil, but he left to take the Head Coach at SDSU 1981. And Doug Scovil said that he created a monster of Jim before facing him during that year.

Can’t remember which BYU Football book it was in, but the book was talking how Doug Scovial would tweek the play book based on who his “talent” was (image that!).

Things Gifford Neilson or Marc Wilson could do, Jimbo could’t and vice versa…

I hear a lot talk about how BYU talent is not as good as Utah’s, which may be true, maybe not. But I remember BYU teams in the past beat better teams because they played with precision, and simply out hustling the other team (Miami comes to mind).

so I am not sure Utah will beat BYU on talent alone, I think BYU has a good shot at it this year.

Actually I’m pretty sure the Utes have more talent, along with 4 or 5 others we play, but that has usually been the case. Doesn’t keep BYU from winning. Push people around-don’t get pushed around and coaches devising innovative offensive and defensive schemes-Scovil was ahead of his time!

Floyd,
For me, It would be very hard to choose only one person that put us on the map. I would have to point to 5.

Steve Young, because he was first pick in the first round and was awarded the largest dollar contract’

Robbie Bosco because he gave to us our only National Championship.

Ty Detmer because he was our only Heisman Trophy Winner.

Jim Mac because, of course, he was our own Jim MacMann the flowerful, fragrant, genius behind his throwing arm that was respected more than disrespected where ever he went in the NFL
He was our worlds BAD BOY that many of us loved.

We can’t leave out Mark Wilson. He was picked in the first round.

Why leave out Gilford Nielsen chosen in the 3rd round?
Who have we had since these guys days, that have come close to the accomplishments, in the eyes of the NFL, that Gilford Nielsen has had.

Jimmy Mac was our best QB. Then comes Young, Detmer, and Bosco. By he way the name is Virgil Carter in 1964 to 1966.

Yeh speaking of Virgil Carter brought up the name Phil Odle. As a young boy I used to idolize those two guys-Then Jimmy Mac and Steve Young. Doesn’t get much better than that!

Don’t forget Marc Wilson when I started school, 1979 at BYU. That first game was against Texas A&M and a big win. Then on with Jimmy Mac, Steve Yound and Bosco. Great memory during my time at the Y.

Wilson was like 6 foot 6-from Washington-remember him well. Carter went on to play for the Chicago Bears

He was in our stake up at Wymount Terrace. He was in the quad next to ours. He was in great shape. He had his appendix removed 3.5 weeks before the Texas game. Wore lots of protection. But, he wasn’t able to gain weight no matter what he ate or lifting weights. The coaches even tried near beer.