Kaufusi going to Utah

How about that 3rd and 1 and we go with a pass play. That would get a coach FIRED in the P5. Offense cost us the game on that single play. I would have done the Tonga behind Kafensis power run up the middle, just like we ran it on BSU…….but then, who am I?

We had a defense in that game? hmmm, news to me… LOL

Offense has won games and a national championship in our historic past. Offense, offense, offense.

Everyone remembers the Pass happy BYU attack, but most people did not realize was just how good the defense was back then. Go back and look at how our defense ranked nationally during the “Glory years”…

Under Fred Whittingham (Kyle’s dad) we had some of the best ranked defensive in the country.
Remember Todd Shell, Tom Holmoe, Kurt Gouveia, Jim Herriman,Shawn Knight, Kyle Morrell, Leon White ? Those guys all played on the same team in 1983.

Speaking of that 1983 season, I just re-watched the 1983 Holiday Bowl that I had previously only seen live there in San Diego. I was there with my fiance who became my wife just a few months later. Great game! We all remember the amazing finish as Steve Young caught a pass and ran into the endzone. What I didn’t remember is he also threw 4 interceptions in that game! The defense saved our necks–they were really good.

Butwe outscored then even though their defense picked 4 off. (And we complain about a couple of picks by Wilson).

I went to BYU between 1979 to 1985. What a glorious years. 1983 BYU football team was the best all-around team, yes including the defense team. That miracle bowl, my cousin was having a wedding dinner and I did missed that last six minutes against that SMU game. And 1981 men’s basketball team beat that Notre Dame - And Danny Ainge famous last big play.

The majority opinion was that the BYU football program plateaued under Bronco Mendenhall. It probably did but it is going downhill under Sitake in my estimation. Mendenhall never would have lost Kaufusi because he could build and coach defenses.I want Sitake to succeed but there are some trends that have to be turned around or the program will continue to slide further into mediocrity. The defense has gotten worse, BYU is consistently losing games to just average mid major programs that Mendenhall almost never lost to, and it appears recruiting has slipped a little as well. Frankly the program is getting close to where it was when Crowton left. I hope this year is a great year (if it is played) and I am proven totally wrong but there are concerns.

My perspective is that the program started a downward trend in 2012 under Mendenhall. Were there a couple of blips upward yes, but not by much and looking at the overall trend it is downward and plateauing. My concern, also, is that the trend is going to continue to go downward from where we are now. Beyond the verbalizations made by the BYU decision-makers, I have doubts about the motivation to improve.,

Sitake is a great fan of BYU, but his OJT-coaching staff is suspect, especially at defense. To me, if Kalini is to stay at HC at BYU he either needs to take over the defense coaching job too, like Bronko did or look for a new defensive coach. Sitaki is a great BYU fan and tremendous personality, but he needs to do something about his defensive coaching staff to keep his HC job…

Wilson is not good under pressure. To me he is at least the second best QB for BYU, maybe the third best.Romney is the best with Hall either second or third.

Oh baloney…he’s fine under pressure. Perhaps different defenses have confused him. But he isn’t bad under pressure. Throwing interceptions in his case is much like it was with Steve Young. Either defenses sometimes confuse him or the receivers aren’t in sync with him. He’s a junior this year and will know more going in.