Mendenhall Contract Details

That’s right! So, he is a man of integrity for not staying.

This is from an article posted in the news section of this forum, “So I would hope that no true Navy fan would begrudge Niumatalolo for accepting the BYU head coaching job if offered. As Niumatalolo stated with tears in his eyes during Saturday’s post-game press conference, he has poured his heart and soul into Navy football for 18 years and deserves nothing but thanks for doing so.”

How are the “TRUE” BYU fans doing? Are we being good Christians?

Have you asked, seriously taking time to earnestly contemplate, that question for yourself. That question, prefaced as you did and asked in the manner you asked if much more a verbal slam than a true statement. How you have set up the question and stated it should only be asked of oneself.

I think it’s a fair question. I simply think the NCAA should end this problem by making it so teams can look for coaches and coaches can do the same thing after the National Championship game is over!

I was referencing this, from you: “How are the “TRUE” BYU fans doing? Are we being good Christians?”

So, I don’t get then what you are asking. Do you agree or disagree that we should be asking that question of ourselves and not attack Bronco’s integrity just because he wants a new challenge?

Who are you to be throwing that out there like a right hook.

No one is questioning Bronco’s integrity. Assuming none of us have a fortune elsewhere such as being married to someone very wealthy, exactly 99% of the rest of us would make the same decision Bronco made. Or maybe Floyd is right and Bronco thought to himself, “I’m coaching due to the love of the game. It doesn’t matter where I coach. I’ll coach at Virginia because I’ll love coaching more there.”

On the right side of this question concerning Bronco’s reason for leaving. Seems like most are saying he left for the “love” of money and simply disagree. That he has no integrity and all this other nonsense. If you want to stay quiet and let others stir the pot against the man, then do it. Doesn’t mean I have to.

The majority on this site are slamming him for the “love” of money and that he is trying to recruit BYU recruits for Virginia and other stupid stuff like that. Complaining he was wrong to announce it before the bowl game. Complaining he has no integrity coaching BYU in the game. All of that is nonsense.
Tell me one person who would not take a raise?
The idea that a person can make too much money is rediculous. We were told Job was wealthy but faithful.

LOL! too funny Craig. This is not a slam against Floyd, he knows I like him. But the comment rings so true and I can’t understand why others don’t get it. Scott is blowing it out of proportion… moreso now because he feels like he has to hold to his belief and make his point regardless of whether he is right or not. That is why he “set up” his question about Bronco’s integrity… and Roy called him out on it, after which he immediately started back pedaling and making it bigger than it was. It’s fun to watch these exchanges unfold… :smile:

Yeah… but Job went through hell and lost everything. Bad comparison to Bronco’s situation.

A better comparison would be to liken it to a friend of mine who just retired from the sheriff’s department and moved to Scipio (still not sure why they did) 6 months ago and has two kids (age 10) and his wife gets cancer and dies 3 months later. I went to her funeral in Scipio yesterday… she was the 9th of 12 kids (big family I grew up with) and the first to pass on.

That’s very sad! Sorry to hear that.
The “situation” has nothing to do with whether a rich man can enter the kingdom of God. It has to do with being rich and the love of the riches.
So, while your example is sad, it doesn’t reflect on Bronco’s reason to leave.

I am not angry with Bronco for leaving. I am glad that he is gone. There are no more 15er’s. We are all united as 100% again with nothing to complain about. I think his leaving was a good thing for him and his family personally, and for BYU.

I am not angry with his taking the OC and perhaps another coach or two with him. I think that taking the entire Offensive coaching staff and all but one of the defensive staff at a time when we are facing the strongest teams and toughest season in BYU history with no coaches with experience left on our staff is a bit inconsiderate.

I think that his motive for trying to get our 5 star QB to go to Va. with him is a bit questionable, but hey, if Taysom Hill could help make Bronco look good, than why not???

I am not angry that at a time, when he is busy recruiting for Va. he insisted on coaching the final Las Vegas Bowl, and in the first 5 minutes, when the team was rattled vs. Utah and down by 35 points to nothing, he could not call a time out and calm the team down and perhaps saving the embarrassment of the first five minutes of the game. I realize that for him, doing the recruitment for Va, was more important than getting the cougars ready for the final game of the season, vs. Utah.

Instead of rehashing all the things that we did not like about Bronco, we should thank him for giving us half of each seasons worth of very good and perhaps the best games in our history, even if he programed the other half to be the worse in our history to give us a guaranteed winning season and a guaranteed bowl game without having to earn it on the field. Hey it gave him a great resumé and who can blame him for that. He got a job that more than doubled his pay at BYU and it put him into a P5 conference and all the respect that comes with being a coach of a P5 team, which he was not capable of getting us into. Smart move on his part.

No, let us not complain about Bronco. Let’s wish him well. I think that he learned a lot from his mistakes at BYU. I don’t think that he will be lecturing morality to the Pete Carol’s and the Urban Myers and the Nick Saben’s in the Football world anymore, telling them how immoral they are for running up the score, and then the next came, in Provo, beat the proud UCLA team, from the proud Pac 12 conference 59-0, and than later put a 70-0 bashing on an FCS team.

It was a smart move on his part to be so religious to cover up for his short comings when it came to his inability to
develop our 5 star Quarterbacks Ben Olson and Jake Heaps which came to us with so much enthusiasm and pride and wanting to be a major contributor to bringing back BYU to it’s glory years. Instead, they were turned into damaged goods that could not be successful anywhere they would transfer to in order to get out of a bad situation where they were told that their 5 stars were meaningless to the coaching staff at BYU and that they were no better than the other 2-3 star players and should not expect to be handed anything just because of those stars and it was they that should be grateful for the chance to play at BYU and did not deserve to have BYU grateful to have them until they prove themselves worthy.

Cute Slogans substituted for great coaching.

The value system gave him great excuse for taking family outings during a bye week before facing the 7 point underdog, Utah, but instead, lost to that team by 7.

The value system putting football down below Fireside Chats in the theme of things, gave excuse to use only one week of the 28 days allowed by the NCCA to play Pac 12 Cal who took all 28 days to prepare against us, an independent, and as an underdog. Their 28 day preparation vs our 5 day preparation allowed them to upset us in the San Francisco Bowl game.

When using his religion to cover up his inability to get the team ready for each and every game during the season, and as a result, losing to teams that we were favored to win, when things started back firing on him and fans began to complain, he left us for more money, more power and more respect which he always told us that those things were not what he was about, but in the end, indeed is what he was about.

Thank you Bronco for all the good that you did, and for all the good that you tried to do. And thank you for allowing us to no longer be divided 15-85% and now allowing us to be 100 % again. You made it and You can be proud. We have not yet made it, but maybe now we can and in part, we have you and your decisions, past and present, to thank for it.