New rules for WCC

No I am not. Once again, to say “he played one good game at the end of the season” is a totally inaccurate statement. He “put it on the floor during a game” on a regular basis throughout the season. He had several good games early in the season and even during league play but he was always in the dog house for minor defensive lapses, things which every player did during games. We talked about it at length the entire season.

Are you having trouble with your memory? What is missing upstairs? Why don’t you remember beyond the last game?

This is why it is often so exasperating to have a discussion with you. It’s like you aren’t paying attention or watching games or don’t see what happens when you do watch games.

I think you think Dastrup had good games. But, he really didn’t. And his mistakes weren’t the same as others. Not even close. But, his last game was good. It took him all year but that bodes well for next year.

You have a horrible memory. We discussed this several times throughout the season.

The best example is the game against Utah, who by the way made it to the final of the NIT. If it weren’t for Dastrup in that game, BYU probably would have lost the game. That wasn’t the only one, there were several others. His last game wasn’t even close to his best game this season.

Either you’re messing with me, which isn’t cool, or you have no idea what you are talking about. I’m thinking the latter but it could be something else.

Yes, the Utard game and the last game against Stanford. That was it. The rest as many in here have said he gets lost on defense. Stanford was his best defensive game. There is hope.

No… there were other games. Now that you have acknowledged the Utah game, which you hadn’t done, perhaps it will jog your memory as to the significant contributions he made in other games.

At some point you will recognize what a big mistake it was, on the part of the coaching staff, that he wasn’t given more playing time this past season. I think the coach most responsible for it all is gone now, so when he finally does get the PT he deserved this coming season, don’t be saying “I told you so” and base it on whatever end of season game you thought he earned it in.

Not sure why you can’t acknowledge that the coaching staff is capable of making mistakes. As we heard in general conference this morning… we all make mistakes all of the time.

Must just be messing with you-nobody is that myoptic🤔

I don’t know…

We are talking about the grasshopper here. :fearful:

I am not sure how or why the Dastrup thing is going to go away. If every player from this past season is returning next season, why would there be any reason for him to get more playing time than he did? Everything was fine and though the team beat St. Mary’s in the tournament, there was no indication that they had made much improvement over the entire season, as evidenced by the final game against GU and other games.

Grasshopper seems to think that Dastrup will get more time and play more and I would like to know why he thinks that. What is it that will change next season in order for that to happen? It means other players who played more this season will have to give up those minutes. If it never happened this past season, what would be the incentive to change?

It’s an unknown right now because we really don’t know what the roster is going to look like with possible defections of Childs and Bryant. Grasshopper claims Andrus is as good as Dastrup so that would factor in also. What we do know is that Grasshopper makes a lot of inane statements with little evidence to support them. Such as Childs likes school-Mika didn’t or Andrus is as good as Dastrup, when Andrus barely saw the floor his one and only year and is another stick man. Childs will ultimately do what he feels is best for his basketball career as will Bryant. It looks like Gonzaga might stay in the conference so it will be more of the same. BYU needs to move no matter what if their program is going to upgrade no matter what the Zags do. The WCC requiring upgraded schedules may be the end of 20 win seasons without significant upgrades in coaching and talent. In the end, someone besides me must be getting tired of “wait till next year”.

It’s so simple. The reason why he didn’t get playing time was maturity and a defense liability. By next year, Dastrup will be better and others like Worthington won’t improve much because of their limited athleticism. Stick to referring even though you miss on that one too :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Okay… I can “refer” you to a sports psychologist that specializes in the game of basketball so he can explain to you how the game works. Hopefully it will help you understand better and you can make more educated posts.

And Sundance, I too am tired of the “wait till next year” that we have been hearing every year for the past several. You are not alone.

The Changes the WCC did has nothing to do with Gonzaga staying or leaving. I would think the 1.7 million that the Zags get has a lot to do with it. Going to the MCW would have an impact on $$. The Mtn is up for contract TV negotiations and who knows how much money the Zags could have increased the $$ pot. TV markets determines the contracts and Spokane has a relatively small imprint. It would have been similar to BSU coming to the Mtn. I have heard all kinds of numbers $$ wise if GU went to the Mtn but they have not done too badly being the big boy in the WCC.

Holmoe has stated that BYU would not move out of the WCC if the Zags were to leave, so nothing has changed. What will change if Childs and Bryant stay…BYU will move up from their perennial 3rd place. I still don’t think we are Gonzaga killers but I do think BYU is and has always been better than SMC, we just are not a good playoff team. That is all on Rose and I think that bringing in Schroyer was a fix for post season and that will have lasting effects even if Schroyer is gone.

Forever the blue googled optimist. This is the same chant that we hear every year… wait till next year, next year will be different. If BYU threatens Gonzaga’s run at conference titles or ncaa tourney appearances or golden goose privilege, the conference and officials will put the kibosh on it. BYU might make it up to second place but that is no guarantee, especially when it comes to a ncaa bid.

We have been down this path so many times I can’t even count anymore.

Stay the course fish… someone has to do it for me.

I’m not sure @fish could fit that description.

We have a solid chance of going 2-2 against St Zags this year because St. Mary’s is loosing a huge chunk of their scoring/minutes/defense in JOCKNAARHERM. We could get second next year assuming everyone returns.

Changes need to be made for doing better in Tourney play and consistency against bad teams. That depends on the coaching staff. We shall see.

You know what we should all be getting tired of with BYU basketball. It’s this idea that as soon as other teams lose their good players we’ll compete better with them. What kind of pure horse manure thinking is that?

I don’t want BYU to beat teams only when they have a down year. I mean, is that all we’re good for any more? What’s wrong with building a team that can compete and win even when other teams are at the top of their game. We always here that Rose can’t get good teams to come play us in the pre-season. Maybe that’s true, but honestly, what “good” team at this point would be scarred to come play BYU in Provo or play us at their house? For them it’s virtually an auto “W” with some good publicity and likely better money than most. What if the truth is closer to us not wanting to play many good teams early on as by league time our record might be 6-10 or worse and that takes us out of the NIT bid, besides really ticking off the home crowd and resulting in more empty seats that wouldn’t look good or provide revenue.

Bottom line is, there was a time when truly Provo was a feared place to come play by even the best as odds of getting beat were better than 50/50. That hasn’t been the case for many years now (outside of a year or two with Fredette). We need to get back to recruiting all over the world, not just count on “Utah’s best” to get it done. No way that ever happens, not for BYU anyway. Even when we got some of the best, we still were nothing but a mediocre team with 20+ wins against mostly nobodies.

I like Rose on a non-coach type level and think he’s a good guy, but it has to be obvious to most top recruits by now that his coaching style doesn’t lead to much improvement in player development, and good players want and need that to hold unto aspirations of the NBA good life. I mean, how many players does BYU currently have on NBA full time rosters - zippo I think. I don’t even know how far back we need to go (other than Fredette, who never learned to play D and didn’t make it either) to find one that made it. Compare that to Utah - wow, what a difference. It wasn’t that long ago when BYU recruits were rated higher than theirs, but their coaches did manage to take some of these guys and help them reach their potential. Rose’s guys just don’t often show improvement, with many never improving or getting worse as players under Rose.

Sorry for the long rant, but to get back to the beginning, if the mindset with BYU ball every becomes “we’ll get them next year when their better players are gone” then i’m out, and I believe we’re darn close to that now.

You don’t think Mika was a great recruit? So is Childs and he snagged Bryant and Dastrup. What he needs to do is explain to these kids that they aren’t NBA talent until after 4 year in college. Jimmer understood. Ainge understood. Durant understood. Collingsworth understood as well as others. Rose has to get people like Ainge to talk with our better recruits and shrink their heads to get through the Temple doors :slight_smile:

This was an excellent post-thank you. It’s about time people take their blue goggles off and quit making excuses every year and “wait till next year”. I would give Rose next year to make the NCAA tourney-if not it’s time to retire and turn the program in a new direction. No more excuses-No more what ifs. JH is right-Rudi is right-Craig and Tom are right. BYU used to be feared at home-they need to get back to being that team again. Once you get used to mediocrity it becomes the norm. Programs in the WCC are getting better so BYU better wake up and worry about more than Gonzaga

I do have to address this “thinking”. BYU does not have a single senior. Most of our scoring was done by Sophmores, exception, Bryant. I talked about this early on in the year. SMC should have won the whole thing with a senior laden team. They are retooling their entire team with exception of a very good Ford, who might go 6’.

Gonzaga lost a big part of their scoring with Melson and Williams leaving as Seniors. Huashimura will test the waters. They still have Tillie, a Soph. and Perkins, their Sr. point guard. plus a whole lot of talent. Gonzaga is ranked #6 in the all too early preseason rankings.

Frank, it is a well known fact that P5’s do not want to come to the Marriot. plenty of evidence through the years of MSU wanting a neutral game at the Delta Center. To goes on and on. Few teams will come play a 1 for 1 with BYU…FACT.

Agreed.

I always try look at all the angles when I post that BYU is better or worse than the previous year. The final record usually backs me up. I was vocal about wanting Rose fired for not developing his bench or that he did not care about defense until he heard from about a million fans and got Shroyer on board. That was a huge step in the right direction.

BYU did over achieve last year, they did not have one senior and they were playing Sr. laden teams. This coming year, we will have plenty of experience if the guys stay. No Blue goo, just the facts. BYU could be very good.

I honestly think Schroyer was partly responsible for not developing the bench. I don’t think he liked Dastrup and I still believe that was the biggest mistake of the entire season.

You may be right. I still do not have a bearing on who made that call but in the Gonzaga WCC finals and certainly in the NIT game, we sure played Dastrup. I think that was Rose having to bite the bullet with Worhlesston and Yo’s foul troubles.

Fans are not stupid. On another note…Bodies were colliding, flying in the Finals, very few calls, something I would like to see in the WCC. Swallow the whistles and let the players decide who wins the games for once.