Nice to see BYU not giving up

BYU ran a different offense in the GU game. If you did not see the obvious wrinkle that GU had no answer for then you need to go back and watch the game a second time.

You mean bringing Mika out away from the basket and drawing Karnowski out? Mika was hitting those 10-15ft jumpers and Karnowski looked befuddled. With Karnowski away from the basket, Corbin was able to sweep in a get that critical offensive rebound and put-back. Nice adjustment Rose!

1 Like

Bingo. Mika was on Fuego and they could not defend it

Did you see the reception the fans gave the players at the airport at 2am? It was great to see such support. The players really needed that reception after sloshing through an underwhelming season up until last week! By the way, it was pretty classy for Kalani to show up at the airport to welcome the players back. You canā€™t help but love a coach like that!

1 Like

I watched the game again and I donā€™t think he was hitting anyone like you say. That two hand stuff he went straight up and caught all ball as the announcers said.
I do agree about Childs. Although 3 of the 5 fouls were fouls.
GU got away with some offensive fouls. One against Mika and one against Emery. But all in all I thought refereed well enough. Love the ā€œT.ā€
Did you notice Nashiff was doing most of the coaching? I wonder if Rose is thinking of retirement?

What the coaches wanted to not have GU stretch out a lead. The delay was to stop them from any momentum. It worked because we played the right way on defense. We also got open shots to take too and made them. That took patience with the players to play that kind of game. We didnā€™t tire out because of that.

After that monster Kaufusi rebound and put back, he had to be there to remind Kaufusi to put back that weight after the season and keep playing football.

Was that Rose or the NBA coaching Nashiff? The assistant coach was running most of the game. Did you notice?

I watched the game in person 10 rows above the GU bench. Got lucky with tickets so flew in. It was very nice to capture the genie in the bottle once this year. Obviously a huge win, but it does give a glimpse of what this team can play like and we still made lots of silly mistakes. Haws hit key shots and he actually is in GUā€™s head. The crowd would go silent when he would shoot. But he also still makes terrible passes for TO"s. Everyone saw the game so no comments about it, but the best thing of the night was the reaction that coach Rose had off camera when he got mad at Emery and pulled him from the game. He was in his face yelling at him and told Emery to take a seat until he was ready to pay BYU basketball. The same thing occurred with Haws when GU was up 55-45. Haws goes into the lane and turns it over by a pass to no one. Haws takes the tongue lashing and then asked if he should go back in. Rose said, " not playing like that" and tells him to sit down. 4 min later Rose pulls him over and says one more chance, but I will pull you again if you donā€™t do what we worked on.

Corbin at the 5 and Mika at the 4 is a GU killer. I thought that Bryant showed us a glimpse of what we will get with him. He is strong and his leg is getting better and he appears to intimidate Goss a bit. But donā€™t kid ourselves, GU played poorly and helped out our cause. We will have to get back to beating StMarys to advance and I donā€™t see that happening. Rose coached, by far, his best game of the year and his handling of Emery and Haws was great!

Wow! You were there? How cool was that?! You probably thought you were paying good money to fly up there and see BYU get throttled. You are a true fan! Weā€™re you screaming your lungs out to help the team along or was it too intimidating to be demonstrative in an opponentā€™s venue? It must have been a blast to watch the team celebrating when they realized it was over.

Did you notice Nashiff was doing most of the coaching? I wonder if Rose is thinking of retirement?

I think Rose is similar to Sitake in that he lets his assistants coach and he oversees the whole effort. That said, it wouldnā€™t surprise me if Rose retired in a year or two. It probably depends on his health and how much fun and success heā€™s having. Its always fun to be a coach after an historic win.

excellent report. Especially on Emery and Haws

Haws make a veteran move late in the game when he drove the lane and dished back to a wide open"ready" Emery 3.

I also thought that Bryant played in control and was very efficient. his FTs to seal the game was beautiful. None of the cringing I felt with KC or Davis last year at the end of games.

Those two on the floor with Yoeli stepping in off the bench would insure a top 10 team next yearā€¦

Corbin not being there all year was the real killer this year. If he hadnā€™t played footballā€¦
Sure wish he would concentrate on bball next yearā€¦Heā€™ll have a longer career playing pro bball than nflā€¦

I think because our defense was much better that for the most part GU didnā€™t have a lot of open 3ā€™s. And when they did have open shots we were in their heads. Hopefully we can do this too LMU and SM.

I think Childs will be a whole lot better next year. I think you have to start him. Dastrup is the question for next year. Can he improve and come in for Childs and moving Mika to 4 when he comes in. Then, if Kaufusi plays again, he too can keep players fresher.
Beo and other guards have to improve.

Not like last night. Nashiff was standing most of the time and really acting like a head coach.

Did you get the vibe that you were looking at the next BYU head coach? Conventional wisdom says you need to leave the program and show you can run the show as a head coach somewhere else before you get a sniff at the BYU program. Weā€™ll see.

I was mostly quiet! Great venue but only about 60 BYU fans. Pretty intimidating. I need let out a tell when Corbin rebounded and got the put back. I am not so sure that Corbin is a great fit with Mika against all teams, but he is with GU. He just has the strength to conned with Karnowski. Mika would foul out.

Depends on how well he is doing as an assistant right now. The pros bring assistants of NBA teams and make them head coaches all the time. Never know.