Oh oh...Oregon is playing in its

I also remember somebody saying that the only way the WCC gets two teams in was for Gonzaga to make it to the finals and lose it.

And that didn’t happen so there goes the conspiracy theory :slight_smile:

Who said that? It wasn’t me…

I provided 4 scenarios that involved the final four teams and the chances involved while getting the maximum number of teams into the ncaa tournament. I could spend time searching for the post but I have a pretty good memory and this is how I remember it. This is in order of worst possibility to best.

1. Pepperdine - If they win the wcc tournament, they are likely the only team that makes it.
  2. BYU - If they win the tournament, they are also more likely to be the only team that makes it, but possibly St. Mary’s makes it, if they are in the final.
  3. St. Mary’s - If they win the tournament and beat BYU or Gonzaga, lower likelihood of both finalist teams making it, probably just St. Mary’s gets in as BYU and GU were (way outside) bubble teams.
  4. Gonzaga - If they win it, this is the best chance for two teams making it, if St. Mary’s is in the final too (which they were) because St. Mary’s had swept GU during the regular season.

These were the possible scenarios, that I gave, that best optimized the chances and that is what happened. Unfortunately, the committee felt there were just too many other teams that deserved a ncaa berth besides St. Mary’s. Had St. Mary’s won, Gonzaga would have been even less likely to have been invited because they finished behind St. Mary’s regular season and 3 losses to them would have doomed them. So that is what I postulated and that is what happened. It’s difficult to believe and accept the conspiracy by the wcc to provide Gonzaga with advantages all the time, but that is what they do. When it matters, the Zags are “america’s team” and an important and integral part of the wcc and its’ identity.

I don’t like it either but I recognize it and accept it, somewhat…

Once again you are not paying attention and didn’t understand what I said. I clarified it for Russ once and that should be enough. WIth you it usually takes several iterations and you still don’t get it… so throw up a few more winky smiley faces and pretend that you know what is going on… it’s good humor.

I would think that the WCC wants as many in the post season NCAA for money purposes. So, seems if their is a conspiracy they would have seen to it to bite the bullet and get BYU to win the WCC tournament. So, no conspiracies is the only logical reason…

For conspiracy theorists its alway predictable to have a second theory ready to go just in case the first one has too many holes to believe :grin:

Theory 1: GU is America’s team and the NCAA are in it with the WCC commissioner

Theory 2: the WCC will do what it takes for money reasons to have multiple teams make it to the big dance.
Since #2 didn’t happen #1 will now be the conspirators drum beat.
:sunglasses::grinning::relieved::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::alien:

I did. I didn’t feel SMC wasn’t getting much respect and the Zagas always do. SMC had a very soft schedule and everybody knew it. I said it before SMC sweeped the Zagas though.

Thanks for clarifying that and what you said made perfect sense. Good luck getting SG to understand anything though… it’s really impossible.

His post above is about as off the wall as it gets. Nobody has ever proposed theory 1 so right off the bat he is off the mark. As for theory #2, the way the wcc fared this season made it almost impossible to get 2 teams in… weak non conference schedules, not very good overall… but they still tried their best, making sure Gonzaga made it as usual and hoping they could squeeze St. Mary’s in. The odds were stacked against the wcc this season and there wasn’t much they could do…

But Scott won’t understand that because he thinks he knows more than anyone, including the tournament selection committee, the basketball experts and the knowledgeable fans on this board.

That’s all you talk about that GU has won 17 in a row and the WCC commissioner and refs are going to always make it happen. You actually want to deny this?

I have never proposed that theory as you presented it… off the mark again.

GU has been to the ncaa tournament 17 years in a row. The wcc is an important part of why that happens in addition to the fact that they are a very good team and program. GU hasn’t won 17 wcc tournaments in a row, but they have been to the final every year over that time period. Draw some logical conclusions from that or here, let me help you. The wcc will try and maximize the number of teams they possibly can for the ncaa tourney invites. They don’t control it but they will do what they can to get as many in as possible. Every conference will do the same thing, it’s only natural. So in the years that GU doesn’t win the wcc tourney, there has been a high probability that they will be invited to the ncaa tourney as an at-large team.

This year was not one of those, hence making sure GU gets a bid by helping them win the wcc tournament. If St. Mary’s had won, they would have gotten the auto bid and GU’s chances would have been slim to make it to the ncaa tourney. It would be interesting to see if St. Mary’s has ever made it without GU also making it. I’m guessing it has never happened or it has been a long time.

So in essence, I’m not denying anything, just clarifying for you once again because you don’t understand… once again.

The problem with your theory is it’s based solely on your opinion of what others think. And you can’t possibly know that. Thus, your deductive reasoning attempts are flawed. But you won’t acknowledge this. So, you set up a group of scenarios that when one doesn’t work out you can fall on another. I see and understand this. Others may not and do the same thing (safety in numbers). Like a democrat, you can’t understand why I won’t fall goose step in line :alien:

Actually your perception is off and therefore your analysis of what it is you think I am doing is also off.

My theory is not based solely on my opinion.

Oh well, that’s okay. I’m done with trying to explain it to you and you should be done trying to understand it.

It’s 100% based on your opinion and thus I’m 100% correct. But it’s impossible to get through to you.

It isn’t just based on my opinion, there are also facts to back up my observations. It is no different than what you believe you see. You have your reasons for why you think the way you do. I just don’t see it the same way you do, but what is interesting is that I called it before it happened and I was right. When have you ever done that?

Just sayin’…