Pepperdine, home sweet home

I absolutely agree. I think there is another bad loss coming to BYU at home. I have doubts if a NIT bid is eminent. Perhaps I am too frustrated and negative after watching yesterday’s game. The team bumbled that game away.

We will get an NIT bid. Remember that a good seed in the NIT means you get your first two games at home. BYU will sell way more tickets and actually register on a TV rating than almost any other school in the NIT.

1 Like

OH, come on, we still have that 5% chance of dancing.

The debate here should be on if BYU gets invited to a P5 and if BYU will take its Olympic sports out of the WCC, which fits them well except for BB.

On the football side, Sitake is turning heads in the recruiting world. Ben Cahoon said last night on Sports Beat that it is “Night and Day” difference the way Sitake recruits from Bronco. Bronco would always try to get the kid to see that BYU is a privilege to play here…Sitake, he sells the family, set for life, chocolate cake and he pleads with them to come start a dynasty. To say that Sitake would be an absolute beast when it comes to recruiting is a big understatement. They are going after guys Bronco thought were untouchable so Bronco would never waste the time. They are surely using up all the frequent miles

Maybe we need that mindset with Basketball too. I like Rose but it would be great to get a Jabari Parker or two a year.
I too thing there is still a 55% chance of dancing, not 5%. We play 7 of the next 10 games at home. Win 8 of them and we have a good shot. Win all of them and we go dancing. And, there is the WCC tournament.

I’m not sure what basis you use to predict the future, maybe it is a crystal ball or something, but I think the best prognostication tool for predicting future success is to base it on the current situation or at least the more recent past. There is nothing that has happened this season that might lead us to predict that BYU will make it to the ncaa tournament. There are no signature wins, a 4th place league standing right now with a very bad loss to Portland and no indication that things are going in the right direction presently. How you think BYU can make it to the ncaa tournament with a final league record of 13-5 (winning 8 of 10) is hard to understand. Also, winning all of them (15-3) particularly based on what has transpired thus far, is a very long shot. I am being positive when I say that finishing 13-5 is a possibility, but it won’t get them into the ncaa tourney. Only winning the wcc tournament can do that, and that is something they have never done, so doing it with an average team is a long shot as well. No… 55% chance is not plausible, 5% is more likely.

On a side note, I saw a post from a well respected cougarboard fan who broke down each of the players on the team, the coach, etc. and was pretty positive overall. This was his summary -

SUMMARY

This year’s team is one that the sum of the parts does not equal the individual talent. There is a clear lack of cohesiveness and they seem to be playing more as individuals than as a team. Next year’s team is one that must develop that chemistry to play together because the individual talent is as good as I have seen at BYU for a long time. Think back to Ainge, Kite, Roberts, Craig, Durrant, Runia and Trumbo in the late 1970s and early 80s. I think the next couple of years will determine if Rose is the coach for BYU or not.

Wow, does that sound familiar or what? Please don’t use the “safety in numbers” or argumentative approach criticizing everything he says, Think about it for a minute and ponder what he is saying. This is a smart guy who understands the big picture and knows BYU basketball. I agree with what he is saying of course.

With 25 wins we have a good chance of making the NCAAs. 55% chance. It depends on who we beat and lose to. But the teams we play at home will make a difference to the selection committee. Just sit back and watch and learn :smile:
I agree about the chemistry of this team. However, it isn’t because players are selfish. Had we won two or three of the close losses due to missing layups and free throws, everyone would be singing a different tune.

You are the only person I have seen that posts regularly on a fan board that believes the chemistry issues or whatever problems BYU has aren’t related to selfish play in some way or another. The only one. If I find somebody else who believes the way you do I will let you know. If you find somebody then please let me know. I would be open to listening to that perspective. This has nothing to do with safety in numbers, criticizing specific players or being negative. It is only a simple statement of observation. The phrase “Seem to be playing more as individuals than as a team” is clearly a claim of selfish basketball that nearly everyone agrees is a problem with this group. .We all try to make interpretations and draw conclusions based on our observations. I am not saying yours are wrong, they just don’t concur with anybody elses out there, fans, coaches or analysts. Ultimately that leads most people to believe that it isn’t about perspective so much as it is about disagreeing and not having the cajones to admit error. I believe it is a growth inhibiting behavior, but I could be wrong on that. I know you won’t agree with that because it would compel you to admit as much, but it is what it is.

I don’t believe that is true. I don’t think the issues of individual play vs. team play are a direct result of a couple of losses. Perhaps if BYU was undefeated, then maybe… but that would not be possible because in order for the team to be undefeated they would have to have some chemistry. Is poor chemistry the result of losing games or is losing games the result of poor chemistry? I think it is the latter, so then we ask ourselves why is their poor chemistry? I don’t think it is because of losing games… it is because of selfish play.

Who are the primary culprits throughout the season? The big three are Emery, Collinsworth and Fischer. At one time or another all 3 of them have exhibited some form of me first, individual not team basketball. It is the biggest issue that hasn’t seemed to resolve itself and everything else is tied to it… lack of focus, missing easy shots, free throw shooting, defense… it is all tied together. A team with destiny, good chemistry and team unity wins those games. This “Team” is underperforming because they have poor chemistry, they have poor chemistry because they play as individuals.

Then I’m the only one who is right. And the only one who understands what is going on when there is a lack of chemistry. There are selfish people, but not on this team.
I coached high school ball for 10 years. I had teams that had great chemistry and won a lot and great others that had great chemistry and lost a lot. I had teams that had poor chemistry and lost a lot.
Teams can have great chemistry and lack talent. Teams can have talent and no chemistry. Teams can have great chemistry and have talent too. None of these situations have to have selfish players. As a coach, you have to identify what you have and communicate clearly with your team what you expect from them, what your systems are on offense and defense and their individual roles what you expect of them. This year’s team is such a mix of talent, no talent and a bunch of guys who get along together well. But don’t understand their roles on the court and make silly mistakes do to lack of talent, practice or experience. But not because they are selfish people.

We are actually really close about the chemistry issue. I choose from experience to say they lack chemistry and seem to play individually because they lack understanding of their roles on the team. I will exclude KC from that because he’s clearly the only one with real talent. It’s remained to be seen about Emery and how much he can improve the basics and his all around game. Over achievers will make great moves they learned but miss the easy shots like he does. Like most of our team. But, that has nothing to do with chemistry.
KC’s role is to take over a game where the less talented are struggling. That is his role and I’m quite confident that Rose has made it clear to him. That doesn’t mean he can’t pass. And he normally does! He’s the leader for assists!
Fischer is attempting to be a scorer in this offense. I’m confident Rose has made that clear to him. And, he’s been doing that. Emery has a green light to shoot, drive and try to score.
I believe they are all trying as hard to play as a team but lack understanding what their roles are sometimes. But, not because they are selfish.

I guess then that we will all have to agree to disagree.

Now you are calling them “selfish people”… something that I never said, but if it convinces you more then go ahead and use the term. I have only said that they frequently don’t play as a team, try to win games as individuals, focus on records and do other things that are examples of “selfish players”… not selfish people.

Much like the definition of conspiracy, you are trying to concoct your own definition of “selfish basketball” with things like “selfish people”, etc. It is a technique you use to make yourself believe you are the only one that is right and everyone else is wrong. You change the perception, the definition or whatever you need to, even if it means something completely different in the end.

We have all seen this issue raise its’ ugly head throughout the season… players forcing shots when a teammate is open for a better shot, KC’s obsession with passing in the first half of the LMU game, right after the Portland debacle, and many other things that you chose to define as something besides selfishness, even though that is exactly what it was or the behavior was a response to the need to share more or play as a team more…

Oh well, like I said we will just have to agree to disagree.

Selfish players or selfish people, semantics. Same thing. If it manifests itself in one area of one’s life it will be in all aspects of their lives. It’s something in the heart.
I believe these are players who want to have chemistry but are unable to because of their talent issues. Austin has the talent to fall down on nearly every play. Emery has the talent to miss nearly every layup. When he makes it it barely clears the rim. Fischer can’t jump and is over achieving so he can’t find the open man. Chatman is lost. Kaufusi is unsure of himself. Davis has lost confidence and hasn’t the talent to see open players while driving to the basket. And if he did he would pass it directly to the defender.
None of them know when to bounce pass or not. Oh, how we miss Haws!
They go out there and do the very best they can every night. They just don’t have the talent nor skills to have the chemistry you want. Only unless the team they are playing really sucks at defense can they make the offense really work well.
But, it’s not because they are selfish players nor selfish people (same thing)
:slight_smile:

I can see two selfish people on this board, SG & JH :wink:

1 Like

Stubborn maybe :slight_smile:

Our RPI, assuming we win every remaining game and then lose to either St. Mary’s or Gonzaga in the championship game, will be somewhere around 37. http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/BYU.html
That assumes we play Santa Clara in the first round, Pepperdine in the semifinals and either Gonzaga or St. Mary’s in the final. It only goes up to 35 if we play both Gonzaga and St. Mary’s. With a mid 30s RPI, we probably (50+%) make the tournament, however, we have to win until the tournament final in order to get there. The problem is, we have 0 out of conference good wins and multiple bad losses which may push us to the wrong side of the bracket. So, your 55% probability is only good if you are planning on winning out or winning the conference tournament.
For your reference our RPI goes up to 47 if we lose an additional game during the conference season. That would put us on the wrong side of the bracket, especially with our bad losses and lack of good wins.
RPI forecast gives us a 7.25% chance of winning the rest of our conference games. I would say that the odds of us making the tournament is less than 10%.

1 Like

Yes but the committee looks at the latter part of the season than the first part. Finish really strong and we go dancing. We are a big draw and they want us there and not proponents up the NIT.

If we lose one more game before the conference tournament, we have zero chance of an at large bid. With a 47+ RPI, zero good wins and 4 bad losses, the committee would be burned at the stake for including us in the tournament. We may not even make it if we win until the conference tournament final game. It doesn’t matter how many eyes we draw, we simply don’t have the resume this year.

Disagree. Money talks. Just as Hawks :slight_smile:

I think Scott is suggesting that there is a conspiracy to get teams that are “big draws” into the ncaa tournament. Of course everyone knows that is a bunch of nonsense, but Scott is the one that suggested it. I know what you are speaking is reality and the truth. I totally agree with your take and believe that is what it will take just to have a chance at making the ncaa tournament. The conference is weak this year and I won’t be surprised if it ends up getting one bid. Two is possible because that is reflective of past history, but BYU is not one of those teams unless they win the wcc tourney.

A far as SG’s comment about selfish and semantics… he is off the mark once again. I’ve pretty much given up on him at this point… never known anybody who is so blind to reality and what everyone else sees. I have agreed to disagree with him and it’s done.

Unfortunately, Gonzaga is a bigger draw than BYU and currently have a better resume than BYU.