Pepperdine live. For the win

Can I get a quick synopsis of what happened during BYU’s last possession of the Gonzaga game. I followed the score online as it was happening but haven’t seen any video. (I am one of those who tries to escape the pain via avoidance.)

I recall 74-72, 74-75, end of game. I saw a tweet that said the final 9.5 seconds was a disaster for BYU. What happened?

BYU was up 2 with a Robinson made FT, he missed the 2nd with 17 secs in the game. Gonzaga did not call a TO, just had that last play ready, brought the ball up court, Their future NBA 6’7 Julien Strawther, pulled up and hit a 3 about 2 feet beyond the arch. Some complain that he wasn’t guarded but I see it as a high risk shot, game over if he missed. BYU calls a TO to set up the last play.

With 9 seconds, Rudi W. was to bring the ball up court with Spencer Johnson on the wing. Gonzaga was ready for it. They put Julien Strawther (the same guy that made the 3 point shot to put Gonzaga up 74-75) He is 6’7 outweighs Johnson by 40 lbs of muscle, Johnson drove to the top of the arch but could not round the elbow, just couldn’t get by him so he heaved up a disperation 3, missed, time expired.

Pope has few options because of our team makeup, he could of had Rudi continue past the pick and drive towards the hoop but Rudi is smallish, most likely blocked by Timme or a forward. I like Hall in this instance, he is thick and can carve room for an open look as he has in 2 past wins. Or Pope could of had the Johnson play ready and not called a TO. Coach Few is too smart an old coach to fall for the, “Hey, let’s get the ball into our best players hands for the last shot play”.

The Gonzaga game was won outright by BYU but as everyone points out, inexperience. I am NOT a fan of Gideon George having the ball in crunch time. He, as a Sr. had NEVER made good decisions other than to shoot the ball. He can’t pass a lick, with 52 sec. left, when every second counts he drove in for a close jumper EARLY in the shot clock, we could of run another 20 secs off, missed the shot. Gonzaga had gotten the game down to BYU 73-72 GU. Then they had to foul BYU (only had 3 team fouls at this point) 3 straight times to even get BYU to the foul line. Robinson makes the front end, missed the 2nd.

If I could add a couple things to a great analysis. The ball is in the hands of their best player. Get it out of his hands. Rudi backed up into a moving Timme and a natural pick. Robinson was 10 feet off the shooter. Get up and don’t let them score a 3 point to take the lead. They score a 2 it’s only tied. Robinson goes under picks way too much and it’s burned us in a couple other games.

Rudi needed to get to the center and out of congestion. Johnson never set up in the wing and got basically a hand off and easily defended by the 6’7” guy. I’m with you on Hall with the ball at the end. He’s won a couple other games. Give it to him.

George occasionally makes great passes. He fed Foos a couple of times with great passes. But, that quick shot is also possibly the reason for the loss. I had forgotten about that.

Thanks for the recap. I, too, wonder why Hall wasn’t in for the last play. As you may recall George entered the the NBA draft last year, received some feedback from various teams, and returned to BYU because he learned he wasn’t ready for the NBA. I guess he’s still not ready for the NBA.

I watched the replay on sports and although Robinson went behind the screen, it seemed that the Gonzaga dude was making it a moving screen. Hard to get around.

When did moving screen become legal?

I think it was because Timme wasn’t close enough to the ball and he was just jogging to his spot with his back to the players. That’s never called. And, Robinson is the one who moved in front of Timme. He should have stayed up on the ball.

And they say it never rains in Southern California? George is a terminal player, what I mean is, he is a finisher, his game is to take that shot or drive to the hoop, use his hops and get a close bucket.

George not only can’t pass but he is very average in every other aspect of basketball. Is he athletic? absolutely, but a NBA player brings it every single game, never takes chunks off or games off. I gave him the name, Curious George because he would have a good game, then two or three stinkers. Having said that, I hope he absolutely kills it this week. We really need him to step up for wins on the road.

These next 3 games are season defining. Win on the road and BYU’s net will soar. Santa Clara is the toughest of the next 3. @ SC, @SF, home vs. top 10 SMC.

BYU men’s basketball is seeking redemption at Santa Clara - Deseret News