Portlandia, what we found out

For somebody who didn’t see one minute of the game, you certainly seem to know exactly what was happening. And now you are even theorizing about it and comparing it to other games you didn’t see.

I hope I’m never accused of a crime that you claim to be an eyewitness to… :smile:

Did you see the game? No! And you have chimed in in the past without seeing the game. I just know when people start in with some theory after being beaten that it’s just the usual attack on the referees. Also, it’s more of the boy who cried wolf syndrome.

Ok, I’ll bite: in the STM game KC attempted 15 shots and got zero FT attempts. But our whole team only shot 10 in the game. And STM only had shot 10 in the entire game up until we started intentionally fouling. In that game they were not calling any fouls on ANYONE. The difference in the UofP game is that they were calling LOTS of fouls on everyone EXCEPT whoever was hitting KC. Everyone who forced contact in the paint received free throws EXCEPT one guy, and he was the guy with the ball the most and thus the most obvious of all. There were over 50 FTs attempted and guys were getting knocked down seemingly every possession. It was like USF on Haws last year when the refs just threw their hands in the air and said, “he’s too good; they hold him every time, so we are just not counting that as a foul tonight.” That is unprofessional, and I don’t give refs a pass just because they are some sainted arbiters of unbiased judgment, because they are not. They are guys I am paying to do a job, and when they are crappy at it I have paid for the right to criticize them, just like anyone else I pay to do a job. UofP was a clear double standard. Am I a sore loser if I sit a few feet away from a game and see something so obvious and post a message about how blatant it was? I don’t think so. I think careful analysis of each loss helps avoid the next one. Of course it was one of the reasons we lost. When Wintering ventured into the paint with the ball, even the slightest touch was called a foul. Fischer drew a few shooting fouls when he was hit far less obviously than KC was hit repeatedly. I think what is worth discussion is the double standard that appeared to be obvious and coordinated.

And that was your opinion. In the SMU game they still didn’t call fouls on KC. Like Haws, KC just needs to make the shots. I’m sure KC initiated the contact in most of the shots. Right?

Give it up Tom…

This is the same road that nearly everyone on this board has been down before, some of us several times.

I hope you are okay with the fact that many of us believe what you are saying and that your perspective is accurate.

It still amazes me that somebody who didn’t watch one second of the game thinks his opinion of what went on is more accurate than somebody who watched the entire game courtside.

I do not “chime in” on specifics if I didn’t see it with my own eyes. I am relying on others to tell me what they saw. Scott doesn’t “know” anything about people and their theories attacking referees. In fact, I haven’t attacked the referees for one single loss by BYU this season. It has been the selfish play and lack of chemistry as a result of that selfish play that has given BYU problems in their losses this season. I watched those games and I reviewed the stats to see if my perception might be correct. It was in nearly every case.

And now we are talking about “the boy who cried wolf syndrome”? You better check that one SG… I’m not sure you know what you mean using that example.

I am mystified by the boy who cried wolf reference. It has been nice to see Fischer hit a few pull up midrange jumpers. However, we don’t have a single guy on our team who even attempts catch and shoot midrange jumpers off picks, so our offense can start to look pretty stagnant with KC or Fischer dribbling out the shot clock.

Wow… this is telling. I saw two quotes on the “tweets” page just before coming to the forums page here that were about as clear as they could be. I know how most of you will take this, because it speaks volumes about the team issues we have discussed this season. I know there will be one “lone wolf” who will decide to interpret the comments differently… to fit his own ideas which don’t match what the best player on the team and coach say. They are from the media day session today.

Kyle Collinsworth said - He’s gonna put a bigger emphasis on giving guys shots, in response to a team total 10 assists at Portland.

Dave Rose said - His guys wanted to win the game at Portland, but they wanted to do it more on their own than as a team. They were out of sync.

I rest my case and I think the jury will probably need to deliberate all of about 5 minutes. “Selfish Play” guilty as charged. It feels great when you know you are right. :hushed:

SG: It was hard to do it as a team when the 3 freshman couldn’t throw a rock in a lake from 5 feet away. As I said before, Fisher, KC and Davis knew they had to produce and tried to. That is not selfishness. That’s trying to carry a team that is young and inexperienced.

So, what they are saying, and like you I have a right to interpretation, regardless of the score and who can score and who can’t they will keep passing the ball for shots to everyone. What will happen is players will now pass up open good shots :wink:

LOLOLOLOL!!!

Pavlov and his dog were never as right. I ring the bell and you start salivating… exactly as we all knew you would do. Absolutely no acknowledgement of what KC said but even worse, what Rose said. Do you understand what it means when somebody says “my players wanted to win, but they wanted to do it more on their own than as a team”?

Doing it on your own = Doing it by yourself = playing selfish basketball.

How much more clear can it be for you to see it?

Pavlov’s bell will ring again and you will respond the same way. Never have I seen or known anybody that is so unwilling to admit they are wrong. It is stunting your growth. :open_mouth:

Doing it on your own or doing it by yourself = taking responsibility as captain and leader of the team or organization when the younger less experienced players lack. Saying it equals being selfish is your own low level form of leadership understanding.
An analogy of your mistake would be like saying Patton was selfish for wanting the glory for his wins because he was often down on the front line. What he wanted was to destroy Hitler and his Nazi military regime. You would say he’s selfish. Well, I would say good for Patton and I would say good for KC for taking responsibility where no one else wanted.
I know you can’t follow complicated analogies and understand that your reasoning isn’t correct. After all, you must be selfish to think your conclusion is the only and right one :smile:
Gary and I had a good discussion and lunch. Next time.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3437540-155/yhoop-notes-headline

equals selfish play.

Nope. It’s responsible play.

You’re wrong and we’re right.

Everybody sees it and everybody knows it.

You are like the emperor and his new clothes and we are like the kid that tells him about it. Time to swallow your pride and admit it.

You are absolutely wrong on this one… and it has nothing at all to do with Patton or the boy who cried wolf. LOL! :laughing:

Yeah… I know. Interesting that Scott had no comment on what Rose said because his only hope was to try and twist KC’s comments to fit his ideas. The truth, and that is an important distinction, is that KC’s comments fit exactly into what Rose is trying to say, that the guys need to play more as a team and that is what will bring them success. When the players try to do it on their own (defined as selfish play) they just aren’t as successful, ie. winning games.

When you score 81 points and only have 10 assists, it shows that too many guys aren’t passing or looking to teammates for better shots, etc. There is too much one on one, selfish play.

This is awesome. It’s so cool to see the coach and players backing us up on the very things we see. Now if Scott could only see it… :flushed:

hahahaha, hohohohoho, KC…I’m the point guard, my duty if to get the others involved. That is my job…I did not do it in the Portlandia game.

Time for a LMU-Pepperdine scouting report Chris. What do you think will happen this weekend as BYU travels down here to SoCal? I am about an hour away from each one of these games but I don’t know if I will make it to either one.

I think there has to be a legitimate concern for BYU being swept and to me that is mind boggling just to think about. LMU won back to back road games last week at USF and SC. Pepperdine gave BYU fits last season as they swept the series.

I am totally up in the air on this one and have no idea what to expect.

Everybody doesn’t see it. I think we will not play well the rest of the way if KC thinks he has no responsibility.

“If Everybody doesn’t see it”? What does that mean?

“If KC thinks he has no responsibility”? What does that mean?

Could you elaborate on those two comments a little?

You have this need to be safe in numbers. So, any comment seems to be twisted to fit your conspiracy.
KC does take responsibility for winning and losing. He takes it upon himself some times when other players can’t score???

You are, to coin a line from a well known rocker, “going off the rails on the crazy train”.

This isn’t what others are saying and you are grasping at straws to describe something that even the player himself has admitted to. I really don’t understand what your problem is.

I have no need to be safe in numbers. I am only explaining that, not only do many of the posters here agree, the coach and his players do as well.

Still not sure why you don’t understand or refuse to acknowledge it, even when the coach and players will.