Positives And Negatives Regarding This Team

And such is the culture of BYU basketball. Honestly, who do you think is going to want to play for BYU over the next several years? What kind of incoming recruits will they have? They can spin it any way they want to, but it is obvious what is happening.

The same thing happened with my kid on his high school team. He worked his rear off as a sophomore and made the varsity team as a junior (one of 3 on the team) but played very little, even when he could have played more. When he did play he was very good. The coach was a thoughtless jerk who had no interest in developing players or giving them any hope of playing more if they worked hard. My kid refused to play his senior year because he knew he should play more, but didn’t believe he would get the opportunity even though other parents, etc. knew he should. He didn’t like the coach or his style, which has resulted in the continued decline of the program. Kids don’t want to play, the team is terrible, etc.

Rose made his bed and he can sleep in it now. I don’t see how any top recruits will want to come to BYU in the next few years when they see what has taken place this year. It is up to the LP3 and some bench guys with very little experience (no depth) to take this team wherever Rose believed it would go. He spent the last month or so scrambling by inserting players here and there hoping to get lucky… Guinn, Dastrup, Beo, etc. looking for the next Seljaas. The team needed a Seljaas last season, the current group doesn’t think they need anyone else. They are okay with getting dumped on by the likes of Pepperdine, UVU and San Diego because they might have a big game against Gonzaga (lost anyway), or there is a lot of chatter about being a nba lottery pick (seriously, who cares?) or they are breaking a record for consecutive games with a 3 pointer (at least he broke one Jimmer record). In Bryant’s case, he has been injured and overhyped as a great practice player and Childs gets a free pass because he just plays hard and did his best to fit in with the others.

It’s a culture that needs to change if they are really serious about making a run in the ncaa tournament, something they are a long ways away from doing right now. I know this sounds harsh, but there is ample evidence to support all of it.

What is “interesting” about it? The WHY is obvious, he had the LP3 anointed already. The bed has been made and you have to sleep in it regardless of whether you want to or not. I wonder what fans will say when it doesn’t materialize in two years because there is no depth and no real new talent.

Sometimes players just like to be top dog. They go where they think they can help and play the most. Carlino would have been a great help his senior year too.
I think and have always thought alumni have too much influence in coaching decisions. Eventually we lose good coaches because of negative comments. Rose has done a great job. He just needs to get better assistants who can run better offenses and defenses.

Jeff Judkins would be a good start for defense coach. Bring him back.

He’s happy coaching the women’s team…

better offense? really?
Better shooting absolutely, especially from 3 and FT.

Everyone is saying the same thing. Very little motion, back picks, cuts into the lane, high low. It’s why every shot looks like a struggle.