Question for Fish or anyone that has ties to the AD office

BYU recruited a very good receiver name Braydon Crosper out of Bingham High school. I have watched this kid grow since he was 8 years old (I use to ref his little league games).

Not only is he a good player, but a good kid as well.

What happen to him? I never saw him in a game, yet they had some WR’s who looked less than stellar playing.

As far as I know he did not serve a mission, He played along with Dax Milne at Bingham. Just never saw him in any games.

I think we could have used him during the year.

I have no sway and no info with the AD but cosper and several other fast receivers would make a big difference for BYU

I have watched Brayden grow as a receiver over the years. I did several of his little league and Junior Varsity games.

I just thought with his sure hands and ability to separate, they would use him this year, since most of the other WR’s were less than stellar this year.

I have always said fhaf beginning with Bronco that politics played a role … when it shouldn’t … with playing time. There is example upon example of better players not being evaluated correctly and sitting the bench. If fans hadn’t been ready to mutiny … and some Sports writers too … Tanner would have started the whole year!! The coaching staff has 3 better QBs in the barn than Tanner. They just didn’t evaluate well and then became stubborn about the topic when it was obvious to everyone … including ESPN announcers that Tanner wasn’t the answer to the direction of this program.

So telling me that there are players who can make an impact but haven’t seen the field … isn’t surprising at all.

As for Tanner, there is a loyalty issue here and a balance. It just went too long before Wilson was brought in and I do believe that it was the intention all along to play Wilson after the 1st 5 games.

Its tough being a coach and fans are always 50/50 for or against you even if you win. As for Tanner, he regressed after the Fr. year, no brainer to replace him

My last comment on Tanner and loyalty will point you in the direction of Alabama. Jalen Hurt can win them a national championship … he has already done it once … starting QB … they replace him with a freshman at the first game of the season. I call that great talent evaluation. Ohio State did the same thing 2 years ago. Those 2 programs have the best coaches in the nation … actually they may not be the best coaches but they certainly are the best talent evaluators in the country. BYU and most other coaching staffs would never ever do that … that is why everyone in the D-1 BCS is chasing those programs and Clemson every year. Wilson should have been named the starter after 2 weeks of fall camp. Hall may be right with Wilson next spring and I can tell you I am going to watch spring practice and see what Hall looks like. Anyway … you get my point …:: good coaches separate themselves by talent evaluation and not the X’s and O’s

Alabama’s balance is who will win us the most games … BYU’s balance is who has been around the longest … bb is a perfect example of this illustration!! Football a close second.

You get no argument from me there. I like our coaches and think we are turning the corner from losing to winning. I think several games were lost this year on Freshmen running the team and coaches not making it simple enough for freshmen. We won’t be facing that next year. We also proved at times that BYU can hang with the big boys. Grimes proved to me that he can make the line as good as P5 lines. We solve the running back issue and I think BYU will be able to put points on the board. BYU just signed the Upo kid and Sewell from Nev transferred. These are both proven players who will be impact players.

I’d like to see Gunner Rommey in the Tater bowl. His groiner put him out of action most of the year. We get a couple of speedy receivers and BYU should be good to go.

look at next season

08/29 - Utah
09/07 - at Tennessee
09/14 - USC
09/21 - Washington
09/28 - at Toledo
10/12 - at USF
10/19 - Boise State
11/02 - at Utah State
11/09 - Liberty
11/16 - Idaho State
11/23 - at UMass
11/30 - at San Diego Stat

You look at it and go, “Eye yi yi”. Then you look at the at home games and realize that our toughest 4 of Utah, USC, Wash and BSU are @home. We have to fill Edwards stadium for those games, right. crazy year.

Injured. I’ll double check that with the football office but I’m almost sure that’s what I was told when I asked about that Cosper kid a while back.

I think a lot of coaches tends to lean to “time in the program” as a basis for starting. It worked well for Lavell, McMahon, Young, etc all sat for the first two years and learned the system, then was able to play…

Now a days, I think more and more kids go to these special camps and performance centers to get ready to play sooner (Think Jack Tuttle at Utah). Not sure if Wilson had a grasp of the offense being played by Grimes at the beginning, but he picked it up pretty fast.

BTW, it was Tanner who helped Wilson get better at learning the system better off the field, they were room mates and good friends, Wilson mentioned this in one of his interviews.

You mean like keeping them healthy through the whole season so we don’t have to go down to the fifth string backup? :open_mouth:

Thanks Tom… I did not hear he was hurt, but that would explain why he did not play…

He is such good kid both as a player and a person, his family is pretty rock solid… Known them for years…

Tom is a good as any source for BYU info because he has an “in”. I’m “in” when it comes to getting close to the BYU basketball team by virtue of Coach Hecker as a NBA scout and former coach. Any time I want to go to a practice, he gets us in, but he does not like to bug the Coaches about why a player is not playing. I do talk to Quincy from time to time. That is as far as we go.

OK, so the hype machine is in overdrive with the bowl win but I look at the facts and you cannot deny that Wilson hit every pass except the Bushman take away. Our receivers came to play as well. We also found a running back in Riley, I think that game changed him.

This schedule has really caught my eye. All of the impossible games are at home making them possible. Dare to dream again. Wilson fills stadiums. Start your predictions now…

08/29 - Utah
09/07 - at Tennessee
09/14 - USC
09/21 - Washington
09/28 - at Toledo
10/12 - at USF
10/19 - Boise State
11/02 - at Utah State
11/09 - Liberty
11/16 - Idaho State
11/23 - at UMass
11/30 - at San Diego Stat

If we are 2-2 after Washington then a possible 9-3 or 8-4. That depends on the injuries.

Why not dream but I will add some things.
08/29 - Utah - BYU Win
We should have won this one. u lose a lot of defense (graduated and enter early draft), lost OC Coach again, new offense schemes. Zac Wilson will start and throw a lot. No more BYU running in the middle smash mouth.

09/07 - at Tennessee - BYU Lost
Volunteers were bad last year against SEC but won all their non conference games - no, they lost to Florida State really bad

09/14 - USC - BYU Lost
They were bad last year and they will do much better this year (hope not)

09/21 - Washington - BYU lost
Chris Petersen doesn’t lose to BYU but I am hopoing a close game

09/28 - at Toledo - BYU Win
Hope BYU players are not so bang up

10/12 - at USF - BYU Win
They are not UCF

10/19 - Boise State - BYU Win
Not on our Green Turf and Zac Wilson won’t let them steal one here at LES

11/02 - at Utah State - BYU Win
3 in a row won’t happen this time when Coach Anderson taking over usu

11/09 - Liberty - BYU Win
Pres Donald Trump won’t be at LES

11/16 - Idaho State - BYU Win
Why we still play them?

11/23 - at UMass - BYU Win
Why on the road again? They are not good

11/30 - at San Diego State - BYU Win
Rocky Long won’t be able to stop Zac Wilson, Riley Burt + some RB and WR/TE

BYU 9-3, That would be an improvement this time around as long Coach Kalani Sitake and Jeff Grimes allow Zac Wilson do his stuff. Yeah I am wearing my Blue Goggles, Go COUGARS!

Hurt got them to the NC- he was benched in the NC game Tag came in and led them to a miraculous win and has been the starter every since

Hurts played the whole first half of the NC game and sources said he told the coaches his shoulder didn’t feel right. He didn’t play in the 2nd half. However, he set all time rushing records and passing records for Alabama the year before. He also came back into the starting rotation In the SEC championship game this year when Tua got hurt and led a miraculous comeback.

My point isn’t/wasn’t about Hurts but about great coaches being able to correctly evaluate talent on the field or the court. Great coaches don’t go on which player is older … or been in the program longer … like Bronco did and Grimes and Sitake did with Tanner. It is a rare trait and only the best have it. Although sometimes you will see a small college coach have that ability and they quickly climb the ladder of success. Example … Urban Meyer.

No doubt he is a great athlete, and it’s a luxury to have two high caliber qbs. It didn’t take a genius to figure out who would be starting for Alabama this year. Just like it shouldn’t have taken a genius to figure out that Tanner had issues. It will be interesting to see what Hurts does after this season. I would stay at Alabama, just for the fact it’s Alabama and Tag has been getting beat up as he isn’t quite as mobile as Hurts and tries to maintain the pocket discipline. Meyer’s story is probably even better than Saban’s. Some fans like to vilify coaches like Meyer and Saban because they get all this talent, but you have to realize that if Saban doesn’t win the NC -it’s a down year. If Ohio State doesn’t get in the playoffs it’s even worse.