Quick Look at BYU's starting rotation will look like

Jim,
i remember once when Coach Edwards was still around.

In the first game that Brandon Doman started, Coach Edwards was standing on the sideline. he didn’t recognized who was playing QB. So he asked the OC who it was.

when told who it was, he was surprised.

He later said that doman was not a good practice player(much like Bosco). But he thrived in the game environment.

to your point, just because they are good one way, they may not be good the other way.

1 Like

I’m just saying what coaches say. And it fits what others say too. You may not like it but effort in practice pulls a lot of weight.

I didn’t say I didn’t like it. What I said is that whatever is going on in practice I have no idea about. I’m not there, I don’t know. You should acknowledge the same. You should also acknowledge that regardless of the effort made in practice by this player or that player, Waterman WAY underperformed in games. It was a rare occurence for him to have a good game. Mostly he was a liability, both on offense and defense. Do you even have the ability to watch and analyze the quality or level of play from a team and individual players?

In fact, I’ll bet if you asked Waterman how he felt about his level of play he would say that he underperformed and is capable of much better.

Time for a reality check again.

1 Like

I watch Sports Nation. I listen to the coaches and they have said as much. That’s one reason. The other is coaching for 10 years talking with other team’s coaches and ours as well. It is what it is.

why all the talk on Waterman?

Someone is floating a rumor that Waterman has bulked up, gotten stronger. Or that somehow he is going to be an inside threat. BALONEY.

Waterman spends his entire career shooting 3s from outside and all of the sudden he is going to be an inside guy?
BYU Basketball Finalizes Roster with Addition of Transfer Noah Waterman - BYU Cougars on Sports Illustrated: News, Analysis, and More

BYU 11 23 22.pdf (byucougars.com)

LMAO.

Shooters are a dime a dozen.
Dime a Dozen: Meaning and History | Reader’s Digest (rd.com)

Reality: Wished he had transferred and that we used a schoolie on a big. In my book, the a driver, who can create shots is the MVP on any team, followed by a banger, big body that can dominate boards, create fouls and get that inside shot. Waterman is none of the above, so why waste any time on him.

With the addition of outside shooters who can really create shots, Waterman will find less time on the floor going forward. He is a 5th year senior with plenty of game experience so Pope may trust him but I say the additions of Aly Kalifa and Dawson Baker along with the growth of Richie Saunders. I just don’t see a lot of room for Waterman.

1 Like

I would work hard on getting the bulk and strength on Waterman. Why? Injury bug. In fact, I would tell Waterman he’s practicing 90% on his post play if he wants playing time. You can’t teach 6’11” and in the Big12 I’m anticipating injuries.
Everything else you say is true. All the more reason to work on his post play. And, the past is the past. Can’t get it back nor make future decisions on it.

That’s on me. I took the hopper bait and disagreed with him that Waterman would have an impact. The Hopper is a former jv girls coach from decades ago who thinks he is in the small circle of the BYU coaching staff because he took a class from Ladell Anderson 50 years ago. I know it sounds crazy but many people live in a make believe world they can’t seem to escape.

I agree with your assessment and what BYU should do moving forward. I don’t see Waterman suddenly changing his game from the past 15 years and becoming something that a jv girls coach thinks he can be.

1 Like

Why believe your take when you can’t even get who I coached and who the BYU coach was when I took the class? Okay, so your opinion is the only opinion. No one else can offer up an opinion. It was you who started this so it was me who took your bait :rofl:

I noticed Jake Wahlin has decided to go to Utah
per the Dnews. Looking at his photo he looks skeletal
at 6’8” 180 lbs. Doubt he would have had any impact this coming season but may have been good in the future. Unusual for an RM to back out of a commitment to BYU… I also noticed Hunter Erickson is now at the U. Is the U getting guys now that wouldn’t play much at BYU?

I just hope this isn’t a trend with Pope not being able to land top HS talent. It seems there is too much reliance on the portal.

Former BYU signee Jake Wahlin returns from mission, signs with Utah - Deseret News

Well, if they aren’t going to play much, then maybe they aren’t top talent? Guess we are a feeder school to the U and UVU?

I saw him play, he is very good at a lot of things. most likely he will be a guard at Utah, Forwards would eat him alive.

Too bad, I thought he would make a great player in a year or two

Forward Jake Wahlin Commits to Utah Post Mission - Vanquish The Foe

now for some real news. Losing Wahlin is a BIG DEAL.

What impact will this have on Collin Chandler?

Collin and Jake are close. I was told before Collin left on his mission that he and Jake planned to room together at BYU. Collin is still a year away from returning home.

Utah wouldn’t have added Jake if they didn’t think he was good enough, but I also have no doubt they also added him to increase their chances of getting Collin once he returns home from his mission. Collin grew up in a Utah family and his family still goes to Utah football games. They were considered the favorites for months until BYU was able to reel him in.

Collin’s family may support Utah football now, but they have always supported Utah football. And he still chose BYU. The things BYU has going in its favor haven’t changed, and may be even stronger now. Collin committed to BYU because 1) BYU will play in the Big 12, the best basketball conference in the country and with fanbases that actually support hoops, 2) BYU had one of the best basketball fanbases in the WCC, and 3) Mark Pope.

The Pac-12 had USC and UCLA when Utah recruited Collin. Those two programs will be in the Big 10 when Collin returns home. Arizona is the only school in the Pac-10 that consistently supports hoops.

For fan support, Utah has had the top of the Huntsman Center curtained off for years now. When Collin went to BYU’s Midnight Madness on his official visit, he was blown away by the fan support. Utah basketball hasn’t come close to matching that in years, and BYU will take it up a level in the Big 12.

And Mark Pope. As long as Pope is at BYU, I believe Collin sticks around. Pope was the key to BYU getting Collin. Collin and his parents have known about Jake’s decision to go to Utah for months. Sources tell me that BYU coaches talked with Collin and his family about Jake’s decision, and they reiterated their support to BYU. It may be small, but Collin’s mom commented on Isaac Davis’ commitment post when he committed with BYU support — this was after they all knew Jake wasn’t coming to BYU.

BYU’s coaching staff talks to Collin and his family regularly. They know they CANNOT lose Collin Chandler. This won’t be over until Collin is actually at BYU, but I’m confident he remains a BYU Cougar as long as Mark Pope is at BYU.

2024 Recruiting

Losing Jake Wahlin may not mean much if BYU can clean up in the 2024 class. BYU has already landed Isaac Davis and is in heavy pursuit of Brody Kozlowski and Malick Diallo. All those players are 4-star prospects. If BYU lands all three and none go on missions, which I don’t expect as of now to happen, that is three young front court players on your team next year. A transfer can bridge the gap this season, and those three young guys can fill the young front court void by not having Wahlin. Even if BYU just gets Brody and Isaac, that helps offset the impact of losing Jake. Wahlin is probably realistically a year away from really contributing in a Power Conference, so having an experienced transfer fill the gap this year and then getting some of the 2024 guys next year mitigate losing Wahlin.

I wish Jake nothing but the best. I have no doubt he’ll have a good college career, and who knows how things will be in 1, 2, 3, or however many years from now with the transfer portal.