Scheduling FCS teams is Counterproductive for any/all reasons

LOL same people who decided that they wanted to keep us out of a major conference and disputed the fact that we ever won a national championship playing in the WAC. Same old same old, nothing new. BYU has been getting dissed for years and years. Thing is though-they are never too anxious to come to Provo and play. Go figure-kind of like going into Boise and play the Broncos-not high on their list of priorities.

No one is trying to keep us out of any league. We simply don’t fit in with the other sports that may have to play on Sunday’s. We don’t want back into a mid-major conference like the MWC. Although, Boise has enjoyed it.

Come on Grasshopper - you very well know that there are those out there that are anti-BYU, though they may be in the minority I hope - but they do hold significant influence - if you don’t you don’t follow the media - which may not be a bad idea. Sunday play is only one issue and I hope not an over-riding one and -NO-BYU doesn’t want in the MW-WHATs the point-they aren’t considered a major conference last I checked

Sunday is not overriding issue for football. But for basketball and other sports like track it will be as p-5 conferences play on Sunday’s.

Definitely a factor - so here is a trivia question for you - which teams have won a national championship in football in the last 40 years and not been a member of a major conference. Sunday hasn’t always been a factor

What does that have to do with anything? Other sports would have to come along and like I said and play on Sunday.

Ron: Look at the posts below this one. Everyone, or almost everyone plays at least one FCS team or more each year. Almost every P-5 team plays either FCS or bottom tier FBS conference football teams. I used to think that playing an FCS team was horrible. But now look at teams in the P-5’s. Just this year:Big 12 Conf. Baylor: SMU (winless) Lamar, Rice (Conf. USA), Kansas, W. Va, Iowa ST, Texas Tech (all P-5 losing records to date. Kansas State: So. Dakota, UT-San Antonia (Conf. USA), La. Tech (Conf. USA). Okla ST: Central Mich (Mid Am. Conf), Central Ark, UT-San Antonio. TCU: Steph. Austin (Southern Conf-FCS), SMU Big 10: Rutgers: Norfolk St (FCS), Army.Illinois: Kent St.(MAC), West Ill. (FCS), Mid. Tenn. (USA), SEC. Georgia: UL-Monroe (Conf. USA), Southern (FCS), Missouri: SE Mo. St. (FCS), Ark. St. (FCS), Tenn.-Bowling Green, West. Carol. (FCS) Vandy: W. Kent. (Conf. USA), Austin Peay (FCS), Notre Dame: UMASS, Wake Forest. ACC: Maine, Howard (FCS).NC ST. Troy (Sun Belt), East KY. Old Dom. So. Ala., No. Carolina: NC A7T Dela. (FCS). Just examples. Only the PAC-12 plays pretty much an FBS schedule, even then with a few exceptions like against Big Sky teams, etc.

We will just have to have a difference of opinion which is fine - i maintain there has been a prejudice against BYU clear back to the days of Barry and Bo and it may have gotten better but in some people’s minds it still exists which is ok-its how the world operates sometimes - just have to deal with it like overcoming bad officiating sometimes - deal with it and win anyway.

He used facts that other big name schools play patsies too. That isn’t a matter of opinion. That’s your blindness due to lack of humility and pride.
While there is ignorant people concerning our religion, the reason we don’t get accepted to P5’s is because they have other sports that play on Sunday’s and they don’t believe they should have to schedule around us if we are going to be a part of them. You need to get over yourself to think everyone should bow to our beliefs.

SG: I generally agree with your post. BYU is in a unique position on the outside, looking in on the P-5 conferences. IMHO BYU is the best and most competitive in all sports outside of a P-5 conference. It is for sure bias, religious bigotry, and just plain stupidity that BYU is not in a P-5 conference. All we can do is schedule the toughest football and basketball teams we can and hope for the best. Recently I posted several times that P-5 was not in the BYU DNA. Upon reconsideration I think that BYU is not in the DNA of P-5 front runners. It is bigotry, arrogance and stupidity by the P-5 moguls.But we can only do what we can do.

So, you are saying that we should join a P-5 conference knowing some of our other teams will have to play on Sunday. Then when it’s time to play we tell the P-5 no?

Maybe the P-5 conferences aren’t bigots. Maybe they know we can’t bring any other sports teams except football only. And they simply see that as a negative for their conferences because we will not show up to events on Sunday’s.

Now, explain why I’m wrong. Explain why our position will be to forfeit all sports on Sunday and they won’t care.

Come on Roy,

You are too good to get into the condescending games.

I wouldn’t suggest that you get in tack with the Pac 12 or Big 12 and tell them that we, being BYU,
with our rich background, deserve to be in their conference without giving up the opportunity to program 6 no contest games to guarantee ourselves consecutive bowl games.

Ron

Grasshopper,

I respectfully disagree.

All P5 teams play at least 9 P5 teams each season. The other 3 teams are respected or at least known or heard of teams from the G5 areas. Otherwise, they would be eliminated from the P4 play off system. Check with ESPN. Ask Baylor and TCU.

Dan Snow,

I agree with you. Unofficially this is how it has been working since the close of the 2014 season when #3 and #4 TCU, Baylor, co-champions of the Big 12 were kept out of the P4 playoffs and #5 Ohio State was able to leap from them into the playoffs and win the National championship. It all came down to the SOS of those 3 teams in question. Why can’t those other people posting here see that???

Ron

Floyd, I understand and i agree with most of what you are saying,

When we program, we use the pre season programing or prognosis when programing years in advance and keep the average pre season at the average of 64 or better, I would have no complaint with our scheduling for now, as long as the schedule does not include FCS teams that disqualifies a team from the P% playoffs like it did to #4 Baylor and #3 TCU in 2014 season.

For a safety net, for reasons of which you stated above, I would like to see us schedule or pre season average to be above 60 or 59 and lower.

Dew,

Yes, 2016 is a very brutal schedule for a G5 team, and we are probably the only non P5 team that has a schedule as brutal as it is. Great !! I am proud of us not being a P5 team.

My point is, P5 teams play 9 other P5 teams each season which is much more brutal than what we are doing,

Maybe we really don’t want to be a P5 team with the requirement so a P5 team. Maybe we belong in the AAC Conference where we don’t have to have such a brutal season. Maybe this is what we really want, but we continue to contradict ourselves by saying we want to be invited to a P5 conference.

We need to get honest with ourselves. Do we want to continue programing FCS and G5 teams and maybe win the ACC conference once in awhile and always be able to guarantee ourselves another consecutive bowl game. Do we want to have the pride of being one of the best G5 teams in the nation along with Boise State, Houston, UCF, Memphis, and maybe 5 or 6 others, or--------

Do we want to schedule like a P5 team and stop making excuses for playing FCS teams and other Patsy teams that guarantee us 6 wins and a guaranteed bowl game without the need of earning it on the field?

At least we need to be honest about what we really want. As it stands, it looks like we want it both ways and that is neither possible or honest or respectful.

Dew,

Yes, Utah is also scheduling SUU like we are doing.
The difference is that Utah is also playing 9 P5 teams and we are playing 6 P5 TEAMS.
Utah, a P5 team, is playing within the P% conference requirements.

We, a NON P5 team are playing a brutal schedule for any G5 team, but not as brutal as a P5 conference team. Our schedule, as brutal as it is, the hardest ever in our history, is not a qualified schedule for any team in the P5 conferences

We can’t bury our heads in the sand. Sooner or later, we have to come up out of the sand to breathe and when we do, the results will be the same. 1. We either schedule like a P5 team and be respected like a P5 team, or we schedule like a G5 team, and be respected as one of the better G5 teams like Boise State, Memphis, Houston, UCF and maybe 5 or 6 others. The only way we can set ourselves apart is to schedule like a P5 team and hope that those others mentioned will not.

Sr Burton

It is not because Alabama is Alabama and BYU is BYU.
It is because Alabama plays at least 9 P5 teams per season and we with our toughest schedule ever, is playing 6 P5 teams.

Alabama may have 3 non conference Patseys. We have 6 in comparison.

Alabama is playing within the guidelines of any P5 team in a P5 conference. We are playing the most brutal schedule of any G5 team, but not as brutal as any P5 team.

The honest question now is do we want to go back to being one of 5-7 best G5 teams in the Nation, or do we want to play the tougher schedule of the P5 conference teams.

Grasshopper

The NCCA, now a junior member of the P5 conferences, but once the sole authority of college football decides what the rules are. The Sec is very outspoken and has a lot of input as to what the rules are or what they are soon to become.

As it stands now, and with stricter rules yet to follow as outlined by the SEC, each P5 team MUST
play at least 9 other P5 teams. Their 3 non conference teams, for the time being, can be any 3 teams, however SOS will favor one team getting into a P4 play off that could lead to a National Championship.

If the SEC has their way, the three non conference games, will soon be other P5 teams as well as the 9 P5 teams they play in conference. In 2014 #4 Baylor and #3 TCU were co champions of the Big 12 but #5 Ohio State, because of a stronger SOS was aloud to leap frog over both Baylor and TCU getting into the P4 play offs and becoming the National Champions.

This is not my opinion. This is fact Check with ESPN.

Bruce,

Please read my post below to Grasshopper. This answers your question.

Ron