Scouting Coastal Carolina

SR_BURTON,
Thank you for your reply.

"Really Ron-you think we have learned our lesson?

I hope so Sr_Burton

“Probably the “anytime anyplace “should have been less public😉”

I believe that Fresno State, a few years ago, said the exact same thing and got a lot of respect from the media because of it. I also heard positive things from the media regarding our saying the same thing.

" Actually if there is such a thing as a good loss-this might be it"

I still don’t believe in good losses. The only good loss is,( if it is the other team that loses).

“Looking forward to more BYU football Saturday. Take care Bro”

BYU @ SDS 10-1 Season + bowl win, where ever, when ever. thanks for your reply bro.

I would say the rivalry game is the biggest game for BYU every year until we get into a P5 conference.
Costal Carolina really?

C.C. ran the triple flippin’ option. Nightmare. Takes a full week of practice to prepare for it, and BYU…was not prepared. Defense was lost. Thought they’d get it together in the second half, but…

This one hurt bad…doesn’t help matters, losing to a team known as the mullets. Ouch.

Can’t wait for the rematch at LES.

I know, right?
BYU has always been stellar in defending an Air Force type team. We bonked it…totally on the DC
I just threw up in my mouth

The spread offense is much different and we simply didn’t have time to prepare the defense. So, I turned to the offense to outscore CCU. We should have been able to. Our offense failed us. The defense is what it is.

You know, I think Kalani is a great face for BYU football. He recruits well and responds well to the media and his players. Having said that, I don’t believe he is an OC or more than an adequate Defensive mind, which means he has to hire good coordinators. The offense has been getting better each year and if Grimes leaves, I expect them to hire within the current staff. The defense is a different matter, and the bend but don’t break has been the theme since Kalani got here. I have never liked the 3 man front, unless you can still pressure the QB and the backers can fill and stuff the run. If I was BYU, and wanted to keep improving, that is where I would start-“defense”. Lastly-there has been talk of Sitake and Arizona-little to worry about IMO. He is in a pretty good place at BYU and where he is neither an offensive or defensive guru, it’s a pretty good place for him and I don’t believe he is going anywhere

1 Like

If he does leave and coach for Arizona or any other P5 schools along with his buddy as DC well good luck on that.

I don’t think he will go anywhere anyway

I agree. Probably next to zero chance that Sitake leaves BYU. The only incentive he might consider is that if he were to leave for a P5 school he would have the money to hire legit coordinators on both sides of the ball. I think he knows that defense is a big weakness. But he loves BYU. We just need him to make the move on the DC job. Unfortunately this year is a big money losing year for BYU athletics and there isn’t extra money floating around to grab a “Grimes” on the defensive side of the ball. Barring some large alumni donations we are probably stuck.

I don’t think he will leave but I didn’t think Bronco would leave when he did. Bronco always said he wouldn’t coach BYU for 29 years like Lavell Edwards did but for some reason I always had the impression he wouldn’t take another job and he would coach BYU a few more years and then do something else.

Arizona has gone from mediocre to terrible in just a few years and they have rarely been anything more than a middle of the road PAC 12 team anyway. It isn’t exactly one of the blueblood programs and would appear to be a program that is a stepping stone for a coach to get to a top tier power 5 program or a step down for a retread coach from a top tier power 5 program. Arizona would be a tough job but the upside is that there is nowhere for them to go but up. The only things Arizona has over BYU is that it is in a P5 conference and would pay a coach a lot more than the BYU job. On the field they have been about equal to BYU based on recent games between the 2 schools.

Lavell Edwards had several opportunities to leave BYU for a lot more money but he chose to stick around because he made plenty for his needs and it was a lot less pressure than he would have had in the NFL or a P5 program. Sitake seems to be a lot more like Lavell than Bronco. If he could get the kinds of assistants Lavell had the program could return to the glory days it had from about 1979-1991.

Sitaki was interviewed today on sports Nation. Listen to his answers carefully and you will understand why he’s going nowhere for a while. And maybe stick around as long as he’s winning. How he talks about his recruits and what they have to be able to do as students at BYU. It also explains a lot about who he has as coaches as well. Trust is a very important part of his coaching staff that they work as a close knit team. Say what you will about Tuiaki, there always has to be a scapegoat for fans.

Based on the history of the 2 schools I don’t see Arizona as a step up for Sitake except in pay. There might be an advantage in that they are in a P5 conference but their record over the years indicates they are a mid-level P5 football program at best and often less than mid level. They don’t have BYU’s tradition in football. Basketball is another story. If we were talking about UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon it might be more of a temptation but none of those schools would come calling.

I think part of the reason Bronco went to Virginia is because it was A challenge. I think he figured BYU had plateaued and wasn’t going any further and he wanted the challenge of re-building a program from the ruins. Az right is about the same place Va was went Bronco went there.

There was an acute difference between Bronco and Sitake. Bronco didn’t have nearly the relationship with players, fans, and the media that Kalani does. I really liked Bronco, but not at all surprised to see him bolt and it was a good move for him. Fans generally love Sitake despite Tuiaki

I wonder what the percentage of fans don’t like Tuiaki? Our Defense gave up under 15 points a game this year. That’s pretty darn good!

I would hazard a guess that the percentage is probably close to this board, not that they don’t like him personally, but feel he is over his head as DC 9/10 feel he’s over his head, or haven’t you been paying attention

I think that is a fair assessment although I think Bronco had a decent relationship with his players. A few that were suspended came back like Van Noy and Jamal Williams. I think his issues were more with fans and the media than with the players. He didn’t coddle high star recruits like Jake Heaps and a few others but I really hadn’t heard that he had anything but good relationships with his players in general.

Alumni donations are readily available but likely will not play much into coaching compensation packages at BYU now or in the near future. I am confident about that but won’t say any more about it other than BOT and Pres don’t want the optics of a coach at BYU making too much money.

I agree -amend -I really didn’t mean he didn’t have good relations with his players just, like you stated, he didn’t coddle them-and there was a certain distancing between coach and player-like I couldn’t picture him doing the sideline dance thing😆

I just retired from my part time “job” (really a labor of love-I’d have done it for free for the great experiences I had) as a head football coach in our school district–thank heavens I never subjected anyone to watching me dance on the sidelines. Maybe that’s why I liked LaVell and Bronco so much! (Ok, I also liked them because they won a LOT of games and sent a lot of really good players to the NFL) :slight_smile: :wink:

Really makes me happy to see how Bronco and staff have pulled Virginia out of the cesspool

9 out of 10? This board is what all the millions of fans think? I don’t think we are that important :stuck_out_tongue: