Scouting San Diego-stay classy

The last time we played these guys BYU let SDU have a season high in conference play. Both Mika and Childs were in early foul trouble and SDU’s Neubauer had a season high…Olin Carter had a season high as well.

We did a fair job at slowing down their star, 6’6 Bailey but that was it.

SDU had a season high from 3 with 57% making 12-21 while BYU struggled with 37% from 3.That is just not going to happen at the Marriott.

…Haws had a big game with 27 points and 6-12 from 3

Keys to the game… Mika and Childs stay out of foul trouble and BYU will shot the 3s at home. Emery needs a big game to get his mojo going again.

BYU gets even and gets close to 90

I didn’t know that SD lost to SMC big time on Feb 4th: 71 to 27 at Jenny Craig Arena. I think we should be fine but we need to see everyone on the floor not just mostly starters. Or SMC gotten better?

Every teams gets up for us and exploits our weaknesses.

Weird, Mika no fouls but Childs 4 fouls and still few minutes to go. Opposite of last week at SF. How did that happened? Mika having a bad night shooting so far.

Mika has had some bad games lately. According to Hawks Rose should sit him :wink:
We won the game at the free throw line. Turn overs were low. 17 assists. 47% from 3’s and good games from Emery and Haws with shooting.
Emery plays too far in the lane in defense. Haws sometimes does too.
Bryant has a lot of upside talent.
Guinn gives us defense. But none of the subs did anything on offense.

Can anyone tell me if the first half was interesting? I taught an institute class tonight and didn’t see it. After watching most of the second half I’m almost afraid to ask if the first was worth watching?

What is the problem with the wcc officiating? It just seemed like they went whistle crazy in the second half. Were there just as many fouls called in the first?

I dunno, the game just didn’t seem interesting at all.

JimHawks
24m

Can anyone tell me if the first half was interesting?

Emery went off for 17 in the first. Could not miss.

Childs was shooting like crazy (hoping to carry the mojo from last game) but missing. He finally settled down to play solid ball.

Bailey and Carter were solid for SDU but Nearbauer got into foul trouble and SDU was toast inside.

Mika had a great rebounding game but absolutely stunk it up inside, putting the ball down where guys could scratch it out or he would press and shoot a jumper. Mika did real damage when he got it down low and got SDU to foul him.

A lot of dumb turnovers, I just have to accept that BYU plays like a young team

I thought it was great! We ere hot as could be for a while hitting like 12 shots in a row. Then, we lost interest in the game and it closed to 4 at half time.
Excellent game to watch.

Good things about the game last night -

1. The starting five all contributed something worthwhile.
  2. The number of turnovers was very low.
  3. Emery finally looks like he is actually “improving”.

Things that must improve if BYU is to win games that matter.

1. The bench players must be able to contribute. 2 points after a 1 point game? No…
  2. Turnovers need to continue to stay low.
  3. Emery and the rest need to improve defense… still weak.

Only 3, on both sides, improvements and things to work on… but they are important.

Also, 12 free throws in the first half and 37 in the second half… no wonder the game was so boring in the second half.

You mean first half… :disappointed:

Good analysis. I think it isn’t that Emery is improving because he had a good game. It looked like he was much more healthy and a lot more energy.
He looks like he’s just trying too hard on defense trying to do too much. He doesn’t need to go into the lane so much and so far in that he can’t recover. We have pretty good defenders down low.